Author Topic: Basic things it took me forever to learn  (Read 6966 times)

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Basic things it took me forever to learn
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 11:21:35 PM »
I still haven't learned how to whistle.   :(

emma

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 11:23:21 PM »
I still can't whistle.   :(

Have you tried the inhaling way as opposed to the exhaling way?
Loads easier. For serious.

joanna

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 11:58:25 PM »
- and when i was in my 20s, i realized that teenagers know NOTHING. and now that i'm 30, i realize that people in their 20s know NOTHING.

HEY! I already know everything and I'm younger than you. So that proves you're wr...oh. Um.

i should have said present company excluded! but! i also (somewhat circuitously) said that i knew nothing. i just meant that people shouldn't speak with authority about circumstances that require life experience. that is all!

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 03:26:11 AM »
I agree with Fido in that pretty much anyone who claims to not be totally confused and baffled by life is a fool.  There are very few wise people and I think, in my life, I have met maybe one.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 03:33:20 AM »
Recently:
- How to carry on a conversation (still working on it).
- How to have a good time (still working on it).
- That fruits and vegetables are worth eating every day and make me very happy.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Gagneaux

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 08:28:06 AM »
I have yet to master the art of knowing when a girl likes me.

More than a couple times in my life I've had a small crush on a girl, but didn't think it was reciprocal until a year or so later, when either they were moving away or they (or I) ended up dating someone else and then comes the reveal: "I liked you a lot" ... when there's nothing to be done about it.

Being oblivious to clues is lame.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 08:43:12 AM »
Yeesh, my inspiration crack was based on the idea behind the Chuck Close quote, “Inspiration is for amateurs. I just get to work.”  But like the Neils Bohr quote, "A great truth is a truth whose opposite is also a great truth." I feel like a rabbinic scholar. I just meant that it took me a while to learn that it's better to just get off my ass sometimes.

It also took me a long time to appreciate color.

It wasn't until last week that I learned that good salmon is not fishy tasting.

Gagneaux

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 09:00:48 AM »
It is COMPLETELY okay for people to be into things that you don't like.  (Very early 20s)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 09:32:49 AM »

More than a couple times in my life I've had a small crush on a girl, but didn't think it was reciprocal until a year or so later, when either they were moving away or they (or I) ended up dating someone else and then comes the reveal: "I liked you a lot" ... when there's nothing to be done about it.

I am the worst ever at this. It's not really an issue for me anymore since I'm married, but I'm sure I blew my chances with a young lady I liked a couple of times during my unattached days.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 10:11:06 AM »

Sarah

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 11:26:43 AM »
I am the worst ever at this.

Bet you're not.

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 11:47:28 AM »
- Don't ever take the job for the money/security (unless you have someone that can hold you to your "I'll only do this for 6 months/a year/2 years"). You'll regret it in the end, even if you get to go on vacation because of it. (20s)

- Know when to leave/give up on something (after giving an honest effort). (20s)

- Sometimes you have to do things to convince people of your worth that you know don't have a whole lot of worth in order to get where you want to be. (grad school years)

- Don't do something for the accolade and attention that you wouldn't want to also do in obscurity, because your own joy in it is the only thing stable.

- Learn some decent knife skills and you can cook almost anything.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 11:52:11 AM »

Boy this is a good one.  To me it's one of those skills that you just have and while people are always giving out tips about "signs" and it seems like something that really shouldn't be that difficult to figure out, it's something that I doubt I personally will ever learn.  I think for me it probably goes hand in hand with fear of rejection or turning a good friendship into something awkward.  I'm lucky that my current girlfriend, after a year of being close friends, basically flat out told me she was interested in being more than friends because who knows if I would've been able to pull the trigger.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 12:25:04 PM »
If I ever have to change a flat tire, I'm screwed.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 12:31:14 PM »
If I ever have to change a flat tire, I'm screwed.

This is why I have a AAA membership.