Author Topic: AP Mike is right about True Detective  (Read 3620 times)

"Jon"

• Plantar Fasciitis
AP Mike is right about True Detective
« on: July 21, 2015, 09:52:26 AM »
Sorry to say, but I can't follow Tom on True Detective. Season 2 is such pretentious, badly written garbage that I am struggling to not lose all respect for anyone saying they like it. Sure, it's "stylish", but the pseudo-deep dialogue and fluff can't distract any thinking person into believing this isn't a pile of g. I'm with AP Mike on this one.

Kurz

• Policemans heel
Re: AP Mike is right about True Detective
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »
So, pretty much the first season without a southern twang.

"Jon"

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »
This season is maybe even more pretentious bordering on camp.

Wasn't a big fan of Season 1 either, especially in hindsight. What's the point of all these pseudo-deep lines like "blue balls in your heart", or "This sublunar world of ours".

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:02:42 PM »
Season 1 was overrated, but at least the quality of the acting made up for the subpar writing. Season 2, OTOH, has both lousy acting and lousy writing. There's nothing redeeming about it. It's utter trash.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:07:35 PM »
Season 2, OTOH, has both lousy acting and lousy writing. There's nothing redeeming about it. It's utter trash.
Quit holding back, Nec.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Kurz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:27:45 PM »
I like that bar, where presumably, they don't check your age before entry, but your level of existential crisis.

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 05:24:40 PM »
I tried watching it because I heard they were getting in to the King in Yellow mythos which I love, but after 2 episodes I couldn't get into it. so dull to me...maybe it gets better?
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 03:45:20 PM »
I saw the first episode this year. I am not defending season two because I hadn't seen Season 2. But I also didn't want to make a snap judgment based on one episode.

I will catch up and we will see what's what.

Tom!

peter falk

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »
Sorry to say, but I can't follow Tom on True Detective. Season 2 is such pretentious, badly written garbage that I am struggling to not lose all respect for anyone saying they like it. Sure, it's "stylish", but the pseudo-deep dialogue and fluff can't distract any thinking person into believing this isn't a pile of g. I'm with AP Mike on this one.

The Lovecraft / Ligotti pulpiness, slick filmmaking style and creep charisma of McConnaughey all made season one fun to watch for me, but those elements are all gone from season two.  This season has been so epically dumb and phoned in, and I think the tipping point is the climax from two episodes ago.  I don't know if I can withstand another aerial shot of the freeway or another college freshman-existentialist rant from Vince Vaughn after that, and I haven't bothered to watch Sunday's episode yet.  Wasn't this season supposed to be a 70s period piece about the occult origins of the California interstate?  That sounds more interesting than the snoozefest HBO delivered.

"Jon"

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 04:20:01 PM »
I think I'd be fine with TD if it didn't take itself so seriously. I just can't stand this level of pretense. And this season even tarnishes Season 1 for me, because after all we are supposed to take all those pseudo-philosophical ramblings of "Rust" in S1 seriously, too, aren't we?
"College freshman's existentialist-philosophical rambling" hits the nail on the head.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 07:55:40 PM »

Wasn't this season supposed to be a 70s period piece about the occult origins of the California interstate?  That sounds more interesting than the snoozefest HBO delivered.

I liked how the first episode hinted at that, with the camera work and also the motorcycle guy with his psychic-kinda connection to the highway.  That was interesting.  Too bad that all got dropped immediately.  I read an interview with Pizzolato that they ditched the occult freeway angle because there was so much other stuff they wanted to do.  I would've taken a lot less Vince Vaughn at the sperm bank or talking about smashing rats to get back the cool creepy subtexts of the first season.

peter falk

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 11:34:23 AM »
Having caught up, I'm not sure if Colin Farrell's New York Dolls-accompanied coke binge redeems the season or plunges it further into oblivion...

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 07:58:40 PM »
Is it cool to come up with a major thread and then just openly abandon it? What is this, Lost?

I haven't started Season 2. I really liked Season 1, but the choice of actors for S2 was uninspiring to say the least.

I liked VV in Swingers, but Made is one of the worst movies ever... made.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »
But...we finally saw Ani use her knives, guys.

I guess I'm in the tiniest possible boat, but I'm into this season. Its trashy and weird and overwritten, and apparently that's great to me.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 04:07:30 PM »
I dumped this season after two episodes.  It felt like James Ellroy minus the great writing.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling