Author Topic: I don't get it  (Read 17000 times)

Laurie

Re: I don't get it
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 09:10:34 AM »
- Messenger bags.

Aw, I love messenger bag. It has sequins.

- People who talk on cellphones like it's a conch-shell. Maybe it's a regional thing, but in my town, lots of people hold the earpiece up to thier ear, like normal, when they're listening to the caller, but when they talk back to them, they pull the earpiece OFF thier ear, and hold the phone in front of thier face and mouth. What the fuck is that all about? It looks completely stupid. Does this trend have origins from some hiphop video or something?

Oh god, yes. I know exactly what you're talking about. Hello, they can hear you just fine without you pulling the phone off your ear and sticking your mouth right on the earpiece. Jesus.

Richard_From_CHI

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
THE NEW ED ANGER: My list: part 1 of the comprehensive "I don't get it"
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 12:25:56 PM »
Part 1 of 245

1) Reality TV, why does anyone f-ing care. And why has it gone on so so long. I don't get it.

2) The King of Queens. It's like a sad and lame 8th generation copy of the Honeymooners, and I wasn't wild about the first one. I don't get it.

3) "Diddy" Why does anyone care what the stupid arrogant and needlessly successful jackass has to say, he wasn't really even a good hip hip producer.  I don't get it.

4) Flip-flops, I know this was mentioned before, but someone please make this go away. I don't get it.

5) Leather pants, NO ONE, BUT NO ONE, LOOKS GOOD IN LEATHER PANTS, no no not even Jim Morrison, he still looked like an idiot. I don't get it.

6) Fur Coats, c'mon people you are spending thousands to look like a wookie, and you are wearing the skins of tortured ferrets for God's sake. I don't get it.

7) Nu Metal. So so boring, so so sad. If you want metal listen to Slayer, or Sabbath or somethng decent. Are we out of good ideas? I don't get it.

8) Paris Hilton, look people if we ignore her she will wither and die. I don't get it. I don't get it.

9) Alternative future universe storylines in comics, Marvel AND DC are so guilty of this, "No seriously we were bring in this guy who is Scott and Jean's kids from a future reality, it'll be great". I shouldn't need a chart and a 10,000 word treatise to read the x-men, stop oh-god please stop. I don't get it. I don't get it.

10) A sense of entitlement. As a public interest lawyer I witness this a lot from young white people, I am regularly stunned at how pissed off they get that they will have to wait a few hours to see a free lawyer. I had a similar experience when I was teaching undergrad students who were unable to comprehend that I was not obligated to do whatever they wanted. Was I that annoying at 20? I hope not.  I don't get it. I don't get it.

11) Why people other than Tom use Tom's special phone number.  I don't get it.

12) "Furries" Being in the arts and living in a large city AND at one point in my life spending lots of time with tattoo artists, I have seen a lot of weird stuff, some off which I not only didn't get but didn't understand, but is it true that there are people who get off on dressing up as furry animals? Wow. I don't get it.

13) Ikea  I don't get it. I go there, I hate it more than anywhere else on earth because they sell cheap shelves and whatnot, but it is a nightmare. So for my own stupidity and inability to avoid inflicting that uch pain upon myself... I don't get it.

14) Oak Park's parking regulations, no one cares about this but me. You mean I am spending THAT MUCH in taxes and I can't park my damn car on the street without getting a 30 dollar ticket!!! What!!!  I don't get it.

more to come. I am the new Ed Anger.

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 12:56:12 PM »
1. Anyone who still thinks heroin is cool. Can't you morons die off, like the Shakers?

2. The revolutionary potential of MySpace as a promotional tool. Sure, I like going through everyone's baseball card collection and realizing I have the cutest, funniest pals, but a huckster is a huckster is a huckster. So far, it's created Dane Cook, a few identity thieves and tons of loathsome California kiddie-punk.

3. Overpaid CEOs. I'm not asking anyone to throw a trashcan through a Starbucks storefront, but why isn't there more of an outcry about the all-consuming greed at the top of the business food chain, especially when everyone else is worse and worse off? Is everything going to be fine until these assholes repo your house? For every overpaid CEO, a rapper goes hungry.

4. People who still get "it's," "its," "effect" and "affect" wrong, again and again.

~EmD
"You said it. I didn't."

bookem_dan-o

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 02:00:30 PM »
Holier-than-thou because I drink soy milk and shop at Trader Joe's.  I also talk really loud on the phone so everyone knows how awesome my life is!  Ewe, you eat McDonalds and drink coffee?!  I just ate a banana and drank chai tea!  I'm cultured! I win!

Fuckin' hell yes.

Generally these same people are found listening to KCRW, which makes me hate them all the more.

Tyrannosaurus Rocks

• Achilles bursitis
Re: THE NEW ED ANGER: My list: part 1 of the comprehensive "I don't get it"
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 04:10:39 PM »
5) Leather pants, NO ONE, BUT NO ONE, LOOKS GOOD IN LEATHER PANTS, no no not even Jim Morrison, he still looked like an idiot. I don't get it.

They would like to have a word with you.
Who ever heard of a dinosaur with a head full of grease and an out of tune guitar?

Grimlock

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 06:20:41 PM »

Smoking.  The only reason anyone starts is to be cool... Cool? Dude, my grandmother smokes!

I started smoking because of your grandmother, because she's so fucking cool.

]I wanted to be cool like TheRockWentToMyHighSchools Cool Ass Granny

Richard_From_CHI

Re: THE NEW ED ANGER: My list: part 1 of the comprehensive "I don't get it"
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 10:24:05 PM »

They would like to have a word with you.

Bring it! Bring it, I will wipe them out one and all.

Richard_From_CHI

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 10:28:19 PM »
15) Bluetooth earpieces with blinking lights. Do they NEED to have blinking lights? I feel like someone raided the props department during the filming of Empire Strikes Back.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 10:57:11 PM »
15) Bluetooth earpieces with blinking lights. Do they NEED to have blinking lights? I feel like someone raided the props department during the filming of Empire Strikes Back.

I fear the cops who wear these... can they shoot laser beans from them too?!
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2006, 09:08:03 AM »
I have one, and some of the nerds in the office called me "Lobot" when I wore it.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

TheRockWentToMyHighSchool

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »

Smoking.  The only reason anyone starts is to be cool... Cool? Dude, my grandmother smokes!

I started smoking because of your grandmother, because she's so fucking cool.

]I wanted to be cool like TheRockWentToMyHighSchools Cool Ass Granny

That was hypocritical of me... I appollogize. :-X

Laurie

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 09:41:53 AM »
Should I change my name to TheRockWentToMyCollege? Or maybe TheRockGoesToMyBank? Or perhaps TheRockEatsAtTheChickenKitchenIOccasionallyEatAtWhenIHaveAHankeringForSomeOrientalChickenChopChop?

Grimlock

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 09:50:50 AM »

That was hypocritical of me... I appollogize. :-X
[/quote]

Well, it's OK, because I started smoking because of the awesome elderly, but continue smoking because of that hot rockin' voice box guy.

I may not have nem brains, but I certainly can have that sultry, smart-sounding Hawkings robo voice...

But I wonder. Waht would a robot sound like with a robotic voice module?

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 11:11:44 AM »
Should I change my name to TheRockWentToMyCollege? Or maybe TheRockGoesToMyBank? Or perhaps TheRockEatsAtTheChickenKitchenIOccasionallyEatAtWhenIHaveAHankeringForSomeOrientalChickenChopChop?

The Rock = next head coach of Univ. of Miami football. Did you see what he did with those prison kids in that documentary? Working with convicts = preqequisite for the job.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Laurie

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2006, 12:05:45 PM »

The Rock = next head coach of Univ. of Miami football. Did you see what he did with those prison kids in that documentary? Working with convicts = preqequisite for the job.

To be fair, he was on our football team.

Also, Ray Liotta should totally head my alma mater's drama department, as I learned when he came to our school to present Narc and discuss the good old days at UM. And Goodfellas.