Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1034765 times)

NJL

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #2520 on: March 27, 2011, 12:30:36 PM »

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2521 on: March 27, 2011, 01:56:49 PM »

I did not mean for it to hurt. But aren't you the one?

I am.  He didn't like it that I remembered his vituperation about Clark Bars either.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Pidgeon

« Reply #2522 on: March 27, 2011, 02:02:43 PM »
I think he said something about my post too.

steven

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2523 on: March 27, 2011, 02:15:32 PM »
I'm basically listening to all of the Comedy Death Ray podcasts with Reggie Watts in them, because I can't stand the songs that are on non-Reggie Watts episodes.

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2524 on: March 27, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
Ok folks I am coming out. I know NOTHING about Phil Spector. I'm pretty sure he wrote and produced songs for other people? In that case, when I here people say they've been listening to a ton of Phil Spector what are they talking about? What is a good starting point? Can someone clue me in? This is embarassing.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2525 on: March 27, 2011, 02:27:50 PM »
Ok folks I am coming out. I know NOTHING about Phil Spector. I'm pretty sure he wrote and produced songs for other people? In that case, when I here people say they've been listening to a ton of Phil Spector what are they talking about? What is a good starting point? Can someone clue me in? This is embarassing.

He has very special hair.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2526 on: March 27, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »
you can begin and end with the "Back to Mono" box set. I lost my pin.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2527 on: March 27, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »
Paul, the thing is that while he was above all a producer, he had such a signature sound that the records he produced are associated with him as much as--actually, probably more than--they are with the artists who play and sing on them.  To say you've been listening to a lot of Phil Spector just makes more sense than to say you've been listening to a lot of the Ronettes, Crystals, Righteous Brothers, Bob B. Soxx & the Blue Jeans, etc. etc. records that Phil Spector produced.

BTW, I bought that "Back to Mono" CD box when it was released & thought it sounded like utter shit. Still can't listen to it, and probably won't be going back to vinyl. Have they done an upgrade?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2528 on: March 27, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
I guess I'm ape-eared.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2529 on: March 27, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
For all I know, they might have done an upgrade.  A lot of people were kind of shocked at the time.  This was when many bought the hype that CDs just sounded de facto better than vinyl, so expectations ran high for the Wall of Sound on CD, and there was a fair amount of "Jeez! Who farted?" critical reaction as I recall.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2530 on: March 27, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »
For what it's worth, Amazon reviewers of "Back to Mono" don't seem to complain about the sound much, but reviewers of this smaller, more recent set seem to mention often that the sound is an improvement over the box:

http://www.amazon.com/Phil-Spector-Collection-Various-Artists/dp/B000K2Q8DQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301257844&sr=1-2

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #2531 on: March 27, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.

I found a double LP yesterday of The Byrds Mr. Tamborine Ma and Turn, Tur, Turn albums and I must say that side one of Turn, Turn, Turn is flawless.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2532 on: March 27, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »

I found a double LP yesterday of The Byrds Mr. Tamborine Ma and Turn, Tur, Turn albums and I must say that side one of Turn, Turn, Turn is flawless.

Mr. Tambourine, Ma is one of their best; I think Turn, Tur, Turn! is overrated.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #2533 on: March 27, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »

Mr. Tambourine, Ma is one of their best; I think Turn, Tur, Turn! is overrated.

yuck yuck

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #2534 on: March 27, 2011, 06:48:15 PM »
I meant Turn, Thor, Turn