Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1034740 times)

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #3256 on: March 31, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »

The Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream
I'm building my MBs collection. At first I asked myself why, until I listened to In Search of the Lost Chord for the first time last week. Threshold doesn't quite reach the heights that The Lost Chord did for me, but I liked it.
"Dad gets mad."

Mike Desert

« Reply #3257 on: April 01, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »
People who listen to this show have great taste...I always assumed - especially from many of the callers - that no one gets a lot of Tom's references.
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

danner

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3258 on: April 01, 2012, 11:35:35 AM »

I'm building my MBs collection. At first I asked myself why, until I listened to In Search of the Lost Chord for the first time last week. Threshold doesn't quite reach the heights that The Lost Chord did for me, but I liked it.

Heh, I amassed a bunch of Moody Blues albums several years ago, and I think my favorite is To Our Children's Children's Children.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3259 on: April 01, 2012, 07:52:21 PM »
feedtime - Shovel*
feedtime - Cooper-S*
Robert Pollard - Mouseman Cloud
Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue

All four at once, Zaireeka-style.

*The original U.S. issues on Rough Trade; odd that I found both of these** for $8.50 each just as Sub Pop's Abberant Years box came out. 

**While at the record store at which said feedtime slabs were acquired I overheard a conversation about Tesla, and then successfully chimed in when the gentlemen were having difficultly recalling the title of the band's album with "the little boy and the radio" on the cover. (At this point I realized that I was not in fact in a record store.  I was in Heaven.)  I revealed that it was The Great Radio Controversy.  The clerk asked then asked me to confirm that this was considered to be their strongest release.  I confirmed it.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Mike Desert

« Reply #3260 on: April 04, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
One of Maddy Prior's great solo records
GUTTER GEESE (Maddy Prior & Ian Anderson)
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

Steeley Chris

« Reply #3261 on: April 04, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »

Heh, I amassed a bunch of Moody Blues albums several years ago, and I think my favorite is To Our Children's Children's Children.
I need that and Seventh Sojourn to complete the classic collection.

Right now:
"Dad gets mad."

Steeley Chris

« Reply #3262 on: April 04, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »
People who listen to this show have great taste...I always assumed - especially from many of the callers - that no one gets a lot of Tom's references.
I nearly died from laughter when Tom was talking about some headphones he bought and their heavy low-end (Oct or Nov 2011). "Remember when Sly & Robbie did that one ABBA album" (or something to that effect).
Being a fan of both Reggae (Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare are a rhythm section duo and producers) and of ABBA, that killed me.
"Dad gets mad."

Barry in Ireland

• Achilles bursitis

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3264 on: April 06, 2012, 01:35:22 PM »

Liking it better than I thought I would.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3266 on: April 14, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »
BadGuyZero,

I highly recommend the Tom G. Warrior biography.

It's pretty much the best/worst rock biography. Several hundred pages of rationalization for Cold Lake and Vanity Nemesis.

MC Shakespeare

• Policemans heel

Alex P.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3268 on: April 14, 2012, 06:39:35 PM »
Definitely not what you'd expect from the cover. Musically anyway, it's one of his most upbeat records.

Greggulator

« Reply #3269 on: April 17, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
The Menzingers "On the Impossible Path" is AMAZING. It's right up there with J. Church and Jawbreaker and The Hold Steady in terms of punk bands (I know it's a stretch to put in The Hold Steady in that genre but they grew up hardcore kids) attempting to write serious songs. Just awesome stuff.

Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com