Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824092 times)

agent_jimmy

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11205 on: April 21, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
Echoing quite a few sentiments, but Julie Klausner is definitely in my top 10 favorite in studio guests. She and Tom have such a great on-air report and can bounce funny ideas off of each other and make each other crack up so easily. It's just one more reason I'm glad I discovered The Best Show in the first place because I otherwise might not have even heard of her.

she's the best. i would love a hollywood-talk podcast with her, andy kindler and gary the squirrel.

BleephouseRat

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11206 on: April 21, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
Honestly, this might be my favorite episode of the Best Show ever.  Julie is the best in studio guest possible, her laugh is so amazing and I could listen to 10 straight hours of her and Tom just riffing AT LEAST.  Such a joy to listen to.
Yes! I think Julie is my favorite Best Show guest. The way she and Tom build on each other's ideas and make each other laugh is endlessly fun to listen to. She was a perfect choice for first in-studio guest of the new era.

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11207 on: April 21, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »
Honestly, this might be my favorite episode of the Best Show ever.  Julie is the best in studio guest possible, her laugh is so amazing and I could listen to 10 straight hours of her and Tom just riffing AT LEAST.  Such a joy to listen to.
Yes! I think Julie is my favorite Best Show guest. The way she and Tom build on each other's ideas and make each other laugh is endlessly fun to listen to. She was a perfect choice for first in-studio guest of the new era.

Once the Best Show proper starts making Tom the moolah he wants/needs, I would love to see him do semi-regular special episodes with just him and Julie a la the Marc & Tom Show.  Tom, I would pay money for these as premium episodes!  Also I would pay money for premium episodes of a resurrected Mike Show or anything along those lines.  Ideally every day of the week would have some new Best Show or Best Show affiliated content for me to put in my ears.

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11208 on: April 22, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »
best: fogelnest's laugh
worst: n/a

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11209 on: April 22, 2015, 11:56:43 AM »
Bebe (BB?) from Las Vegas should be the model for almost all callers. Only calls in every few years, reveals a tiny bit more backstory each time, just the tiniest bit off-kilter without being someone doing a bit, stays on topic while still showing personality, knows how to get out of Tom's way while still bringing something to the table.

That was a fantastic episode overall and the collage has reached new heights. Don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't heard it yet, but there's a very specific moment that brings a beloved member of the Show together with a band that features prominently in Best Show lore that might be the funniest thing I've ever heard (you will know it when you hear it), and kicks off a new, impossibly nightmarish section of the collage. Tom's revelation/declaration right after he finishes is also amazing.

Equally weighty is Tom's recognition of the genuine brilliance of the late Macho Man Randall Savage (better late than never) and Tom's impromptu Bill Fagerbakke impression immediately cracking the Top Ten Scharpling Impressions list.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Bridgey

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11210 on: April 22, 2015, 01:01:21 PM »
Notes:

• Was the isolated Jim Morrison vocal line supposed to sound a bit like Garrison Keillor?
  • Was the conversation with Angus from Edinburgh leading to the Edinburgh Fringe's "clowns winning the Perrier" hinting at something - albeit something where like only a few people who are probably in this forum might be in the audience?
  • I only just googled the Scotts' Weed and Feed ad and I find it highly problematic and hope that the awkward accent is discussed in the Scottish Parliament

Greggulator

« Reply #11211 on: April 22, 2015, 01:17:31 PM »
Is there a way some FOTs can get a private screening of Entourage together?
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11212 on: April 22, 2015, 02:04:20 PM »
I said this in chat, but it is remarkable how much Morrison sounds like George Carlin in his spoken word stuff.

Mike Desert

« Reply #11213 on: April 22, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »
I don't even know how many times over the years I've shown people that No Holds Barred French restaurant scene...it's so good...made me laugh hearing Tom reenact it
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

mackro

« Reply #11214 on: April 22, 2015, 03:50:07 PM »
LOVED this episode... Since the Julie Klausner episode, these Best Show episodes are just whizzing by, feeling like only 60-90 minutes each... which is good!  I hope it's as fun for Tom and the crew as it is for the listeners.

Best:  the whole Hulk Hogan/Randy Savage bits.. 80s Rick, Foorgelfloog
Worst: "too many dudes" calling -- or more to the point, not enough lady callers, who I think would have nailed the Worst Celebrity iPod topic better -- although there were some calls that nailed it.

Worst Celebrity iPod was a GREAT topic that sounded really easy, but was actually pretty tough.  Given my relative lack of TV or film knowledge, and also since I was a Dude, I bowed out of calling.  This required having just the right amount of TV, film, and music knowledge.

It seemed some of the callers nominated celebrities they just didn't like, assuming they would just have bad music taste by proxy.  The best example of this would be Penn Jillette.. who definitely is unlikeable to many, but he helped rescue Half Japanese's career, essentially.  Again, the ones that DID nail it were great. 

LOVED this episode..

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11215 on: April 22, 2015, 04:16:25 PM »
By the time Tom got to the SavageCast, I was done.

"You listen to me, Josh Gad, I'm tellin ya right now, the CREEEEAM always rises to the top!"

Mike Desert

« Reply #11216 on: April 22, 2015, 04:27:08 PM »
Pen Jilette was also a huge Residents fan and worked with them to some extent or other.  I'm on lunch break and doesn't hear that bit of the show yet.

Hogan was a good pick.  I'd pick pat sajak maybe, but I've learned that when it comes to music,  people can surprise you ..so it's a hard choice
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11217 on: April 22, 2015, 06:41:40 PM »

Worst Celebrity iPod was a GREAT topic that sounded really easy, but was actually pretty tough.  Given my relative lack of TV or film knowledge, and also since I was a Dude, I bowed out of calling. 
I agree. I felt unqualified to call. I don't know many current celebrities and don't have an iPod.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Crusherkc

« Reply #11218 on: April 22, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
Bebe (BB?) from Las Vegas should be the model for almost all callers.

Great new caller, hope she comes back. I loved her weird energy.

Best: When Jefferton offered up his Worst Celebrity Ipod, Dean Norris, and was asked what he thought might be on it. This is what he said: "W.A.S.P."  If I were drinking a beverage at that moment I would have certainly spit-taked. 

Worst: the way my connection to the browser kept breaking down.  Sounds like the last few weeks Tom and the show is swinging into things for 2015 in spite of the awful start to the year.  I also miss Jake's podcast, I keep waiting to see a little red circle on The Foglenest Files icon on my phone.  Mike's list and Tom's reading of it (with his qualifiers and commentary) was a delight.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11219 on: April 22, 2015, 07:41:28 PM »
I was going to go with G. Gordon Liddys Ipod.