Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824208 times)

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7005 on: August 30, 2011, 10:57:47 PM »
Glad to see people can have such strong opinions on subjects they hardly give a crap or know about.

I kinda think that most internet arguments (and this was pretty tame as far as these things go) would end in a mutual shrug if all parties involved had common sense. Like Greggulator I much prefer good old fashioned professional wrestling. When Tom trashes that I will have a problem. I'm actually hoping Dumm Oaf will call in again.

Dumm Oaf has posted here before.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #7006 on: August 31, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »
SKEEVEE.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Kormod

« Reply #7007 on: August 31, 2011, 12:28:01 AM »
The story Skeevy told about Mike and "Tom" in the bedroom was certainly one for the books.

narwhale

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7008 on: August 31, 2011, 08:46:45 AM »
ADDENDUM: This may be the trippiest thing on Wikipedia: "The song's backing track was derived from deep within the Lifehouse concept. Townshend wanted to input the life information of Meher Baba into a synthesizer, which would then generate music based on that information."

Even better, when Townshend revisited Lifehouse a few years ago there was a website called the Lifehouse Method where you could get your own personalized song based on pictures you upload and sounds you make into a computer microphone. It's no longer functional, but there's some interesting info here http://www.davesnowdon.com/project/lifehousemethod. And here's a sample track: My Lifehouse Method Like many Pete Townshend-related projects, it didn't really pan out.

I actually bought that dumb Lifehouse boxset when it came out. 2 discs of demos, 1 disc of orchestral arrangements, 1 disc of electronic experimentation, and a 2 disc radio play. Between that and a horrible John Entwistle Band live album I bought around the same time, I soon learned the lesson that you don't have to buy something just because your favorite band releases it. In a way it probably saved me from becoming a completionist, which is a good thing because after the Who I moved on to GBV.  :D

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #7009 on: August 31, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »
Maggie commenting on the dumb podcast: "Her voice sounds like a sweater."

« Reply #7010 on: August 31, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
I forgot to mention the "Banned Callers" montage. That was great.

Jeff in Seattle

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7011 on: August 31, 2011, 01:38:30 PM »
Tom's really starting to phone it in. Not hosting last night's show means he's entering his Howard Stern phase. Expect more guest hosts than quality content in the future.
Time to turn the page folks.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7012 on: August 31, 2011, 02:06:54 PM »

I am a few shows behind.  Which episode is this? I am intrigued!
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

mostlymeat

« Reply #7013 on: August 31, 2011, 02:17:08 PM »
Tom's really starting to phone it in. Not hosting last night's show means he's entering his Howard Stern phase. Expect more guest hosts than quality content in the future.

Um, strongly disagree! Tom is on fire like he's never been. Tom is complaining less, having more fun, being hilarious, and otherwise KILLING IT. He is in total control, and delivering.

Also he's been doing it for free for ten years and rarely misses a week. Give the guy a break!

-Ajax

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7014 on: August 31, 2011, 02:26:34 PM »

Um, strongly disagree! Tom is on fire like he's never been. Tom is complaining less, having more fun, being hilarious, and otherwise KILLING IT. He is in total control, and delivering.

Also he's been doing it for free for ten years and rarely misses a week. Give the guy a break!

-Ajax

It's also August and last I heard, Tom is human.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7015 on: August 31, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
"You should do what Stephen King does."

"Bore everyone to tears with my column in Entertainment Weekly?"
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Alex_from_the_woods

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7016 on: August 31, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »

How dare you?! For shame...
Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Exsanguination?

wood and iron

« Reply #7017 on: August 31, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »

I believe the FOT board has its first true troll. Not counting that strange shit by Tor.

« Reply #7018 on: August 31, 2011, 07:41:38 PM »

I am a few shows behind.  Which episode is this? I am intrigued!

Last night's Jon. Hatch was filling in, but he played the montage at the top of the show.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7019 on: August 31, 2011, 08:34:48 PM »

If Tom only did one Best Show a month I would be more than happy with that. Not with losing the weekly Best Show, but the fact that he's doing the show for free mans he gets more leeway from me than a guy getting paid 9 figures to do a little over 100 shows a year. And I have no beef with Stern either. He made a good bsuiness deal so good for him.