Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810653 times)

oilcantim

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6990 on: August 29, 2011, 11:48:06 PM »
Just to be clear, there are huge problems with American football.  But they're fixable, and could be dealt with by punishing the players who make dirty tackles and the coaches who teach that style of play.

I'm not sure how you could remove the risk of permanent, debilitating injury from MMA.  If that's a possibility, please... show me the way, Frampton Stylee.

You can't completely eliminate the risk of permanent injury in MMA altogether, but if all the parties involved (the ref and the fighters) know what they're doing that possibility is pretty slim. Fluke injuries can happen, but in general if a guy snaps an ankle it's because he didn't tap when he should have and the ref let it happen. It's not a safe sport by any stretch, but it's also not as deadly as some seem to think it is.

Yeah, that makes sense to me.  I guess I just don't enjoy fighting sports in general.  Things that have even a theoretical blood lust element rub me the wrong way... maybe when it's been around for a few years, and the culture surrounding it becomes less douchey, I'll stop ragging on it.  As if any MMA fans care what I think.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #6991 on: August 30, 2011, 12:54:03 AM »
Glad to see people can have such strong opinions on subjects they hardly give a crap or know about.

oilcantim

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6992 on: August 30, 2011, 12:58:45 AM »
So, wait, MMA doesn't involve hitting people in the face on purpose?

I must have it confused with something else.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6993 on: August 30, 2011, 03:42:50 AM »
My knowledge of how crazy football is comes mostly from too much HBO sports and a friend whose brother was in NFL camp, but I've completely lost interest in the argument/debate.

I wouldn't believe you, but you italicized the shit out of "completely".  So I guess you've beaten me, sir... because he who cares least is best!  Like the bible says.

I was actually conceding the victory to you.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6994 on: August 30, 2011, 03:47:33 AM »
Glad to see people can have such strong opinions on subjects they hardly give a crap or know about.

It's the American way, you turd.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6995 on: August 30, 2011, 09:50:55 AM »
In fishing, one of the competitors always DIES. Usually the fish.

narwhale

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6996 on: August 30, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »
I prefer Zeppelin slightly to The Who, but it's close. I rank them this way.

1) Houses of the Holy
2) Quadrophenia
3) Physical Graffiti
4) Led Zeppelin
5) Led Zeppelin II
6) Who's Next
7) The Who By Numbers
8) Led Zeppelin IV
9) Tommy
10) A Quick One
11) The Who Sell Out
12) Presence
13) The Who Sing My Generation
14) Who Are You
15) It's Hard
16) Led Zeppelin III
17) Coda
18) In Through the Out Door
19) Face Dances
20) Endless Wire

Not to go back too far in the thread, but I wish I had a chance to call in for Who chat last week. I like Endless Wire more than Face Dances (the WORST), It's Hard (half OK half horrible) and Who Are You. To me it's on the same level as Who By Numbers- not top tier but I still find myself listening to it all the way through fairly often. It also reminds me of the tone of By Numbers except instead of being an angry drunk Townshend is an angry old guy.

The discussion on the show was very interesting, and after thinking about it it was surprising to me that one of my top 5 favorite bands had so few albums that I actually classify as 'great'. A relatively low batting average as Tom would say.

Not restricted to studio albums, I'd say Sell Out, Tommy, Who's Next, Live at Leeds, Meaty Beaty, and Quadrophenia are essentials. I'm even on the fence about Tommy. The 'song' songs are great, but whenever I hear it I just think about how great it could have been. The engineering leaves something to be desired (the story is that they left space for orchestral arrangements but ran out of money), and I think I would like it more if it sounded raw like Sell Out or the live performances or polished and synthy like Who's Next.

The Who will always have a spot in my heart for being my first real music obsession. It also helps that I got into them at just the right time in my life. Quadrophenia is the perfect album for when you're 14 and your parents are getting divorced.

Riley

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6997 on: August 30, 2011, 02:50:43 PM »
That week's Best Show was one for the ages.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6998 on: August 30, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »
My favorite Led Zeppelin album is the Box Set.  It never gets any love in the best album lists, though.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6999 on: August 30, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
I prefer my hand-to-hand combat sports planned out in advance and with guys wearing sequins who also call the people in attendance poor and dumb.

Also: I spent a good five months in 2000 listening to nothing but The Who. Literally, I listened to no other music and I listed them as my all-time favorite band. I saw them pre-Entwhistle's passing and thought it was pretty great. They aren't my number one any more -- they're somewhere after The Clash, The Ramones and Queen but before Pavement, Superchunk, The Pixies and Weezer during their first two albums. But I still love them to death.  In addition, has there ever been a better live recorded piece of music than The Who doing A Quick One on the Rock'n'Roll Circus? MAYBE Queen doing Radio Ga Ga at Live Aid or Bruce's Born to Run from the Capitol Theater.

Oddly, my wife and I have spent a lot of the past year talking about Led. I always kind of hated them growing up since I largely associated them with mulletheads in jean jackets and the horrors of hearing cover bands play it down the shore. My wife was also never a fan, and she likes classic rock a lot more than I do. But we've started really liking a lot of their songs. I plan on doing a side-by-side comparison of the two because of Tom -- there's a lot of distance between me and The Who and I don't know anything except the AOR singles for Led.

This is dangerous, however. We just found a working record player. I really don't want to become a record store person again but I think it's inevitable.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

oilcantim

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7000 on: August 30, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
I was actually conceding the victory to you.

I'm more comfortable losing, though.  I prefer moral victories over actual ones.   YOU WIN, PLEASE.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7001 on: August 30, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
Tom,

If you wish to keep steering the show towards the occult, and if you are still looking for a good name for Satan, may I recommend my favorite, "The Lord of Lies."

-Jon
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

puppycity

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7002 on: August 30, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »
I love Zeppelin and the Who equally, but Zeppelin only put out one double album and did more covers. Without the Who there would be no Guided by Voices, whereas no Led Zeppelin = Kingdom Come.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7003 on: August 30, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
I listened to "deep cut" Classic Rock radio, the least bad alternative in 1980s/90s suburban NC, in the days before the iPod.

So much of Led Zeppelin's (and a good bit of The Who's) work I absolutely cannot listen to anymore.

The most mentally available exceptions are songs like Poor Tom and Achilles' Last Stand and A Quick One While He's Away and Happy Jack, songs that for whatever reason were spared the incredible overplaying.

I happen to think that Traveling Riverside Blues and Baba O'Riley are fantastic songs, but if I never hear them again it's all right with me.  They're burned in my memory, anyway.  And there's no need to play even a second of Whole Lotta Love or Pinball Wizard.

ADDENDUM: This may be the trippiest thing on Wikipedia: "The song's backing track was derived from deep within the Lifehouse concept. Townshend wanted to input the life information of Meher Baba into a synthesizer, which would then generate music based on that information."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7004 on: August 30, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »

I kinda think that most internet arguments (and this was pretty tame as far as these things go) would end in a mutual shrug if all parties involved had common sense. Like Greggulator I much prefer good old fashioned professional wrestling. When Tom trashes that I will have a problem. I'm actually hoping Dumm Oaf will call in again.