Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818519 times)

dutch

• Policemans heel
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6945 on: August 26, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
list of banned demons.

Anthony from Ireland

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6946 on: August 26, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »
The past two weeks have been excellent shows. Really on fire.

paul from sacramento

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6947 on: August 27, 2011, 12:25:27 AM »
Tom's arguement on the Who was pretty bad. He said it was a point against them for only making 8 studio albums. Tom has been going on and on about Led Zepplin for a month and they only had 9 studio albums. Is Coda really good enough to trash the Who and praise Led Zepplin? Also, is it really that bad that they called it quits after one of their members died?

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6948 on: August 27, 2011, 01:34:50 AM »
Led Zeppelin = eight studio albums in a decade, with a lost year-plus in there when Robert Plant's son died.

CODA is an outtakes album.

The Who = eight studio albums in fourteen years.

My point - which I didn't build out on fully, I know - is that I feel that the Who were phoning it in as a band could possibly be after QUADROPHENIA. Those last two records with Keith Moon are pretty weak stuff and don't do their legacy any favors.

And please tell me when the Who called anything quits.

For the record, THE WHO SELL OUT is one of my ten favorite albums easily.

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6949 on: August 27, 2011, 02:39:38 AM »
I loved the demon talk and all the weirdos it inspired to call in. 

I also really like that Blaze expected Tom to know what Blaze was talking about when he said "YOU GOT BLAZED!" as if everyone knew about his prank-phone call hi-jinks.  All of the Blaze call was great.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #6950 on: August 27, 2011, 02:45:12 AM »
shame on Tom for continuing to dump on MMA
I thought this show was supposed to be punk-rock

Mole Man Jr.

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6951 on: August 27, 2011, 04:28:55 AM »
Enjoyed Tom Marvalo Scharpling, master of the dark arts. I actually thought it would have inspired even more weirdos to call in.

Never understood the big deal about Graham Parsons. Forefather of lousy denim rock. Yuck.

paul from sacramento

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6952 on: August 27, 2011, 05:26:37 AM »
Yeah I was actually way off by saying they called it quits. I mostly meant that they figured out that the band wasn't going to work without Keith Moon but I forgot that they released albums as the Who after he died. I actually saw the Who perform 4 days after John Entwistle died and it was one of the most depressing things I've ever seen.

I think my argument also didn't come across the way I wanted it to. For some reason I always feel like nobody is going to read anything I put on the internet (is that why internet bullies the way they are?). To say that your argument was bad was in bad taste, I just though it was funny that you were criticizing the Who for not producing enough when the made around the same amount of albums as Led Zeppelin. Obviously I didn't think you were completely dismissing the band because if you hated them you wouldn't have wanted them to do more stuff.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6953 on: August 27, 2011, 07:14:55 AM »
Enjoyed Tom Marvalo Scharpling, master of the dark arts. I actually thought it would have inspired even more weirdos to call in.

Never understood the big deal about Graham Parsons. Forefather of lousy denim rock. Yuck.

You think "Stick to Me" is denim rock? Really?

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6954 on: August 27, 2011, 08:37:36 AM »
Basically everything in this weeks show was AMAZING. I agree with Jason on the ban giving Tom room to be Tom. Some great stories. Tom mentioned the week before about not even need to take any calls to do the show and I can't help but feel that a show of that style (excepting for a Newbridgian call) would be really cool

Speaking of which the Blaze call had literally everything: malaprops (life of O'Reilly) in-show references ("too local" killed me), mentions of rails (tootski), mentions of GG (that MASH bit was inspired), talking about all the Monroe Brothers (did all of those actually happen as calls already, a couple didn't sound familiar?) But what really got me the most was the "Billly Joels?"- "I'm very good at getting them" line.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6955 on: August 27, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »
I heard, for the first time, the word "rails" used to mean cocaine outside of the Best Show universe.  Ha!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6956 on: August 27, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »
Led Zeppelin = eight studio albums in a decade, with a lost year-plus in there when Robert Plant's son died.

CODA is an outtakes album.

The Who = eight studio albums in fourteen years.

My point - which I didn't build out on fully, I know - is that I feel that the Who were phoning it in as a band could possibly be after QUADROPHENIA. Those last two records with Keith Moon are pretty weak stuff and don't do their legacy any favors.

And please tell me when the Who called anything quits.

For the record, THE WHO SELL OUT is one of my ten favorite albums easily.

CODA is pretty solid for an "outtakes" album, even though Jimmy Page was kinda deceptive about the origin of some of the tracks on it. But the fact that he was able to pass off some "live" tracks as "studio" productions is actually a testament to his skill as a producer and the guiding hand of Crowley in his dark sonic wizardry or whatever  ;) ... and I'll even go on record as being a fan of "Bonzo's Montreaux". Hey man, it's much less of a time commitment than "Moby Dick".

The equivalent "outtakes" album in the Who canon is "Odds and Sods", which has some cool stuff but is a lot more scattershot. And the fact that it came out as a sort of stopgap after Quadrophenia is telling ...

But to put some arguments forward in favor of the Who ... in the beginning portion of their career, they were still kind of in that era when bands were judged more on the basis of singles, as opposed to albums.

Also, people tend to say that live albums "don't count" in these kinds of debates ... but I'd still put forward that "Live at Leeds" is one of the greatest things ever. At least I felt that way when I was 13. But yeah, it still works for me.

And I think Daltrey was ahead of Plant with the open denim jacket/curly blond locks thing, for whatever that's worth.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6957 on: August 27, 2011, 03:33:44 PM »
The Zep/Who argument is a good one and could go on for numerous episodes. I would love to hear Tom go way deep into his vaults of rock knowledge for a Stones/Beatles throw-down. It's cliche only up until you hear rock guys really get down to brass tacks to the point of what type of sandwich spread George Harrison was eating during the 3rd week of recording Rubber Soul.

(he preferred marmite, but only when it was raining outside)

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6958 on: August 27, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »
Basically everything in this weeks show was AMAZING. I agree with Jason on the ban giving Tom room to be Tom. Some great stories. Tom mentioned the week before about not even need to take any calls to do the show and I can't help but feel that a show of that style (excepting for a Newbridgian call) would be really cool

Speaking of which the Blaze call had literally everything: malaprops (life of O'Reilly) in-show references ("too local" killed me), mentions of rails (tootski), mentions of GG (that MASH bit was inspired), talking about all the Monroe Brothers (did all of those actually happen as calls already, a couple didn't sound familiar?) But what really got me the most was the "Billly Joels?"- "I'm very good at getting them" line.

Every one of those Monroe stories has been a call, or been referenced in another call by a different Newbridge citizen.  The one major Monroe Brother/Call not mentioned was Phil Monroe, who "starred" on an episode of To Catch a Predator in Fall 2006.  Also, Phil's unnamed son once called as a Drunk Driver.  He was also unmentioned.
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6959 on: August 27, 2011, 05:05:23 PM »
I prefer Zeppelin slightly to The Who, but it's close. I rank them this way.

1) Houses of the Holy
2) Quadrophenia
3) Physical Graffiti
4) Led Zeppelin
5) Led Zeppelin II
6) Who's Next
7) The Who By Numbers
8) Led Zeppelin IV
9) Tommy
10) A Quick One
11) The Who Sell Out
12) Presence