Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824023 times)

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8055 on: February 05, 2012, 04:02:15 PM »
The impersonations were gold. How to pick a favorite? I think the Scott Walker.

Also:

'Can you do Groucho Marx?'

'No.'

And 2 guys picked Jello Biafra? Only on the Best Show.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8056 on: February 05, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
The last 15 minutes were absolutely golden. Amazing. Add to that Ya'llbegone Pond and Mike's interaction with Gary? I think it's a top ten all-time show.

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8057 on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:02 AM »
Okay, it didn't work.  I've seen people embed videos in here, before.  How do you do it?  Thanks!

-Zach (Big Z)

After doing a little investigating, now it DOES work.  Enjoy!

-Zach (Big Z)

Says the video is private.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

Mr. Colin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8058 on: February 06, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »
The three best bits of this show (Y'allbegone Pond, Gary & Mike & the Movies, and the impression round) were so amazingly good that the whole thing was kinda overwhelming.  Drunken football calls (probably all from the same household) were therefore necessary to keep listeners from dying of pleasure.

BobbyMN

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8059 on: February 06, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
the Gary/Mike face-off, which I have found mildly addicting.  I've played the entire sequence back at least five times.  I find the temporary decrease of oxygen to my brain caused by ten minutes of nonstop out-loud laughing induces feelings of giddy light-headedness.

Yeah, I've listened to this at least 5 times so far. The first time I listened I was at work and I was afraid I might get fired for laughing so hard.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8060 on: February 06, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »

Tom: "You went to the parade just to eat cotton candy?"

Caller (seemingly non-ironically indignant): "Yes, why?"

"I'm trying to go on a gluten-free diet, but cotton candy isn't gluten-free".

When that guy said, "diets don't work," I thought it was an episode of Coast-to-Coast.  I half expected Courtney Love's father to break in.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8061 on: February 06, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
I go to the State Fair just to eat food nobody should eat.

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8062 on: February 07, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
I am a huge fan of Tom's patented Tubthumping Fake-Out.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8063 on: February 07, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »
From what AP Mike said earlier in this thread, filling in for Tom is a daunting task. Y'all remember Rob Hatch Miller, Maggie Serota, Daniel Ralston &, probably, Spoony tonight as they bring us "The Hatch Patch" tonight.

Listen! Call! Support!
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #8064 on: February 07, 2012, 09:02:45 PM »
From what AP Mike said earlier in this thread, filling in for Tom is a daunting task. Y'all remember Rob Hatch Miller, Maggie Serota, Daniel Ralston &, probably, Spoony tonight as they bring us "The Hatch Patch" tonight.

Listen! Call! Support!

Different number tonight:  201 536 9368
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8065 on: February 08, 2012, 12:30:04 AM »
Jason's PA/security before my interview with him weren't too over the top by the way, just very stern, you definitely got the message.
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

vert

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8066 on: February 08, 2012, 12:53:04 AM »
So I don't know if this is the appropriate thread, but I have a few thoughts on tonight's (non best) show...

Of course it was a pile of garbage compared to even the worst episode of the best show, but compared to everything else that isn't the best show it was awesome!

The entire show was great, but the last hour was particularly amazing... there are too many highlights... but if I had to pick and choose... Skeevy stole the show  8)

honorable mentions: the greggulators entrance, or Mike singing "this is how we do it" by Montell Jordan!

Kormod

« Reply #8067 on: February 08, 2012, 02:03:01 AM »
I agree with Mike that this was a good night for Wally. Wally's annoying crybaby persona was still there, but Z-Man somehow made it seem part of the Wally character, rather than a reflection of the man above the marionette strings. The back and forth between him and the Greggulator (who seemed blitzed out of his mind) was fun, and Wally's "no Comment Sutra" line when Skeevy was asking him about the Kama Sutra, made me laugh. Wally was actually intentionally funny tonight, which has to be a milestone of some sort. Still unbelievably lousy at keeping the voice, though. Would like to have heard more from Mike and Skeevy, who were absolutely killing it towards the end of the show. Credit goes to Hatch for keeping things from going off the rails during that final segment.

Greggulator

« Reply #8068 on: February 08, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »
I agree with Mike that this was a good night for Wally. Wally's annoying crybaby persona was still there, but Z-Man somehow made it seem part of the Wally character, rather than a reflection of the man above the marionette strings. The back and forth between him and the Greggulator (who seemed blitzed out of his mind) was fun, and Wally's "no Comment Sutra" line when Skeevy was asking him about the Kama Sutra, made me laugh. Wally was actually intentionally funny tonight, which has to be a milestone of some sort. Still unbelievably lousy at keeping the voice, though. Would like to have heard more from Mike and Skeevy, who were absolutely killing it towards the end of the show. Credit goes to Hatch for keeping things from going off the rails during that final segment.

A few people on Twitter also said I sounded hammered.

I was completely sober! In fact, I haven't had a drink in about two years! However, I will fess up to having had close to a pot of coffee before the show. And a ton of caffeine can trigger my mania. And I was also working a character, especially right at the beginning. So that's how to explain it. I can't even imagine how insane I must have sounded.

Anyways, last night was SO much fun!

The submarine's on the top floor of the studio. Hatch and everyone wanted to keep my appearance a secret from Wally, so I arrived late and was then stashed out on another floor while Z-Man and The H-Man were upstairs. Aside from a few moments with Maggie and Puloma, I was completely by myself, only keeping myself sane with backdated Rolling Stone magazines. I also threw a few red herrings on Twitter in case Wally was checking his account before the show to throw him off the scent.

I thought Wally/Z-Man hit a total home run last night. I had no idea how it was going to go with both of us in the studio together. I've also never met Zach and had no idea how that was going to work, either. But he did a great job with Wally and also switching into Z-Man and making them completely different. He stepped up and DELIVERED big-time. I'm really proud to have been a part of what I hope turns into a Wally Resurgence, since I genuinely love the puppet. My heeling on him was largely shtick, but I did think Z-Man lost a bit of direction with the character and last night I think he got that back and won a lot of people back to his side.

Also, if Twitter is correct, I managed to alienate a few listeners I won over with my appearance with my brother last night. This makes me happy since, when I'm in villain mode, that's part of my intent. I was a little bit in heel mode when I was on with my brother, but nowhere as near as I was last night. (And I hope everyone on here knows I'm not like that at all in reality! At least, I hope not!)

The Skeevey stuff was so incredibly warped. Mike was standing next to me when he was doing this and, for some reason, was making this Elvis pose whenever he did Skeevey. It was insane to stand next to that.

On a personal note, the Wally/Greggulator Summit comes at the absolute perfect time. I've been commuting between Philly and Manhattan for the past two years and stay with my parents in North Jersey a few nights a week to cut expenses. However, I got a job 20 minutes from my house that I start next week. This was literally the last possible time I could have done a summit with Wally, at least for a long while. And now, since the hatched with Wally/Z-Man/H-Man has been buried, I can move on to another target!

(One disappointment: My trolling of Zach from Richmond didn't work, but that might be for the best.)

The past few months have been really difficult for me since the commute has really bugged my wife for a bit. I haven't had too much fun or much of a social life. Having the honor of being in the studio twice this year, as well as becoming friends with a bunch of fellow Best Show die-hards, has really helped me out. This really is more than just a comedy show and it's awesome.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8069 on: February 08, 2012, 09:39:41 AM »
Okay, now I can't listen to this episode fast enough.  Jeepers creepers!