Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824127 times)

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9525 on: December 10, 2012, 09:30:14 PM »
Best: Gene Krupa of getting drunk; "Worst" (not really): did TS ever come back to discussing LZ on Letterman? I couldn't watch it, something about it felt very stilted and awkward

Yeah, I was hoping Tom would find time for the Letterman and Lincoln Center appearances. Too bad the show got derailed. Glad he got too talk about Dolenz and the Monkees, at least.

Zeppelin were obviously an amazing band, but they're not always so great at ... talking. Robert Plant is a good nominee for least funny person ever. He's got the genial spirit and delivery of a funny person, but a lot of the stuff that comes out of his mouth makes no sense whatsoever. He was infamous for his stoned hippie babble between songs during Zeppelin's 1970s reign (numerous examples can be found on concert bootlegs).

"Does anybody remember laffduh?"

Does Anybody Remember Laughter?

But doesn't funding Holy Grail kind of make up for it?

pretty sure that's George Harrison

Harrison funded Life of Brian.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9526 on: December 11, 2012, 07:02:48 AM »
"I have found this in trivia section on IMDb and only Pink Floyd is mentioned.

"Funds earned by Pink Floyd's album "The Dark Side of the Moon" went towards funding The Holy Grail. The band were such fans of the show they would halt recording sessions just to watch "Monty Python's Flying Circus" (1969)." "

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/15918-did-zeppelin-fund-the-production-of-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail/

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9527 on: December 11, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »
Like Bruce Springsteen with the Facts of Life!

QuizGuy66

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9528 on: December 11, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
A funny little moment I got a kick out of was when he was doing a Yes imitation that wasn't a "duet", so he gave a crescendo of "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

I have to toot my own horn here.  My imagined Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ultimate jam described in this call http://www.wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=46657&archive=80460&starttime=2:14:15 came about close to plausibly true today with Public Enemy, Rush, Heart, and Randy Newman getting announced as the next inductees.

;D

-QG
“You can’t be George either,” he said. “You’ll have to be Railroad.”

“But I don’t want to be Railroad,” I protested.

- George Railroad Martin
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/about-george/speeches/here-i-am-again/

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9529 on: December 12, 2012, 03:11:34 AM »
I'm still responding to the 12/4 show, since I'm on the podcast cycle.

It was great to hear Gary again; that was probably my favorite stretch of the show. (He even mentioned Vance!) But that call with Z**h. Man, I used to consider him endearingly clueless, but now that he's emerged as an arch villain, I don't ever wanna hear that guy's voice again. And that Randy fella really seemed to catch Tom off guard. What did he tell Mike he was gonna say before he got on to chew Tom out?

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9530 on: December 12, 2012, 07:20:11 AM »
QG I remembered your call when I read the inductee list the other day. You totally called it!! Well done.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9531 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:55 AM »
Since I am a newbie, I'd just like to say that Depravity's Rainbow is awesome--so great to have such a good show fill in for when TS isn't there!

Ordinary Joe

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9532 on: December 12, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »
Concerning last Tuesday's caller "Randy" from North Carolina:

I live in the deep south and sanctimonious good ole boys like him are truly dime a dozen.  They dig in first with their "aw shucks" routine, feigning modesty and pretending to "straight-talk ya", but it's all an arrogant confidence game.  I'm always cautious of them hat-in-hand poseurs because a lot of times that figurative hat is hiding a dagger.  And listen to that inauthentic fake laugh at his own forwardness; I've heard that plenty.  That's meant to convince you that he's a good guy who just likes a little funnin'.  It's total passive-aggressiveness on display.

Let me translate his "Have a happy show" as "do what I want you to do or I'll rain down more corn-pone righteousness on you."

And as far as his "We don't take rudeness too lightly down here."  — Really?  Cracked any history books lately?

I hope you're reading this, Randy.  The South is not you anymore…start getting used to it and stop speaking for the rest of us.
The evil that is in the world always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence, if they lack understanding.

QuizGuy66

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9533 on: December 12, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »
Since I am a newbie, I'd just like to say that Depravity's Rainbow is awesome--so great to have such a good show fill in for when TS isn't there!

Agreed :) They get better and better every time.  They got a spiffy new theme song and everything now :)

On top of that they are good people.

-QG
“You can’t be George either,” he said. “You’ll have to be Railroad.”

“But I don’t want to be Railroad,” I protested.

- George Railroad Martin
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/about-george/speeches/here-i-am-again/

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9534 on: December 12, 2012, 03:44:21 PM »

Agreed :) They get better and better every time.  They got a spiffy new theme song and everything now :)

On top of that they are good people.

-QG

Part of the fun is that Scharpling has created this persona for Mike so that you are sort of listening to Mike through the prism of Tom's characterization. The stuff about supervising school kids, thus, was really funny (and Mike is an excellent raconteur). Who is Therese, anyway? She has a winning on-air personality

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9535 on: December 12, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »
It was a great show. Never thought I would hear the term "cream pie" on WFMU.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9536 on: December 12, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »
Ordinary Joe: Since you seem familiar with the type, what do you think the motivation is? It's obviously not a "con game" in the sense that a Randy thinks he can get anything out of Tom--he doesn't even have a crappy band to hype--so what is he after? I was wondering whether without saying so he was on a mission to make the world a little more "Christian" or something.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9537 on: December 12, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »

Part of the fun is that Scharpling has created this persona for Mike so that you are sort of listening to Mike through the prism of Tom's characterization. The stuff about supervising school kids, thus, was really funny (and Mike is an excellent raconteur). Who is Therese, anyway? She has a winning on-air personality

Therese is an WFMU DJ with her own music show, which is really good. Check out her archives. She's been part of the Best Show for as long as I've been a regular listener--about 5 years. She's co-hosted a bunch of Tom's WFMU Marathon shows. She and Mike have great chemistry.

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9538 on: December 12, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »
THERESE RULES! Love her.
Your vigor for life appalls me.

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9539 on: December 12, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »
Concerning last Tuesday's caller "Randy" from North Carolina:

I live in the deep south and sanctimonious good ole boys like him are truly dime a dozen.  They dig in first with their "aw shucks" routine, feigning modesty and pretending to "straight-talk ya", but it's all an arrogant confidence game.  I'm always cautious of them hat-in-hand poseurs because a lot of times that figurative hat is hiding a dagger.  And listen to that inauthentic fake laugh at his own forwardness; I've heard that plenty.  That's meant to convince you that he's a good guy who just likes a little funnin'.  It's total passive-aggressiveness on display.

Let me translate his "Have a happy show" as "do what I want you to do or I'll rain down more corn-pone righteousness on you."

And as far as his "We don't take rudeness too lightly down here."  — Really?  Cracked any history books lately?

I hope you're reading this, Randy.  The South is not you anymore…start getting used to it and stop speaking for the rest of us.

Totally generalizing here, but polite societies tend to be hierarchical and unequal societies, and have a legacy of feudalism (including slavery). Places where people are blunt, rude, whatever are generally more equal, like the Netherlands and Scandinavia.