Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818754 times)

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6765 on: July 29, 2011, 05:56:53 PM »
The Doddy call was so legendary. Tom's recent thing about asking callers to get a parent to call in paid off big time. And Ernesto went with it and was an excellent sport.

The Laurie/Geneva laughing was simultaneously irritating and infectious.

The constant "What's that Mike?" was great. No mercy for anyone this week. I loved that Jen Kirkman (and possibly some others) just hung pre-emptively.

I feel like it's time for an on-air Mike anecdote soon.

The Big Z story was good and all but I'm not sure a lot of callers would last long enough to get through it all.

I love the constant AV Club Podmass baiting and that they are refusing to take the bait and mention it any reviews. (Also they like a lot of average/crappy podcasts)
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6766 on: July 29, 2011, 06:38:33 PM »
Tom was a total bully this week. Every caller had to apologize for themselves. That Michael K story was even interesting.

Did I have to apologize for myself?

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6767 on: July 30, 2011, 12:24:34 AM »
its the dumbest little thing, but Laurie getting berated for crinkling her chip bag killed me.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6768 on: July 30, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »
Man, that Mit Hamine guy is the most deserving punching bag in years.  From "Kinks" and "Rolling Stones" as examples of band names that are as bad as his own, to "All band names can be good" to making it a virtuethat nobody remembers how to pronounce "Mithamine"--what a punk-ass.

If Spike gave a damn about this kind of thing, he could refer to them as "Antihistamine."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6769 on: July 30, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
By the way, when Tom said "your daughter calls you Doddy," I think Ernesto had never heard this before and thought he meant she calls him "dotty."  That's what the "well, she's a good judge" thing was about.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6770 on: July 31, 2011, 04:40:52 AM »
Did nobody else realize the importance of this episode?  Laurie penned a new old adage: "You never change your horse mid-stream, unless your band name's Mit Hamine."

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6771 on: July 31, 2011, 05:49:59 AM »
''Hey I wasn't done with that #lunch''
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

Johnny Sprockets

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6772 on: July 31, 2011, 08:49:48 PM »
Bring back Queen - 'Don't Stop Me Now'

Please Mr Fahrenheit

spacepope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6773 on: August 01, 2011, 02:24:03 AM »
Jen Kirkman's cereal kids audition was very funny. I love how her voice in that video sounds a lot like her impression of her mother.

Favorite quote of the show "I know that Ed" - Geneva.  Because I know people in studio.

-Ed

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6774 on: August 01, 2011, 03:05:02 AM »
Did nobody else realize the importance of this episode?  Laurie penned a new old adage: "You never change your horse mid-stream, unless your band name's Mit Hamine."

FURST
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6775 on: August 01, 2011, 03:08:58 AM »
''Hey I wasn't done with that #lunch''

Also FURST, for what it's worth.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6776 on: August 01, 2011, 06:05:17 AM »
I think the Z Man is great but that went on FOREVER.
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

folkstarbob

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6777 on: August 01, 2011, 10:16:46 AM »
Best = Doddy

Worst = Laurie's laugh ripping a whole in my new speakers.

THE BEST SHOW week after week!

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6778 on: August 01, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »
I thought that show was awesome. I really need to re-listen.

I have to defend Laurie.  Her laugh is piercing but she is a good sport about it.  Also, she's not a celebrity.  She's just a longtime fan who has become part of the fabric of the show.  I thought it was great to have her on.  And...that call to her dad was awesome. There were so many good parts to it but I lost it when he said something like "have we been on the air this whole time?" That made it almost Newbridgian.

Other highlights:
-On the Laurie/Geneva show, Laurie called out "GOMP! Heave ho!" It was like she was playing a game and needed to remember to call out the "right" code word.   That cracked me up.
-Any time Michael K of the Cynics calls. I know I am in the minority but I love how he gets under Tom's skin.
-Laurie or Geneva said something about Spike, then immediately apologized--Tom:  "Don't worry, he only listens to his calls."
-Agree 100% with Cavorting on Mit Amine.  Wow.
-I liked Big Z's call, too, which led to a great trifecta heave-ho (but I don't think Wally deserved it). The director telling Tom he maybe able to buy the documentary soon and Tom's reaction was awesome. 

JRN

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6779 on: August 01, 2011, 03:16:09 PM »
I think my favorite part of the Doddy call was Ernesto getting What's That Mike'd. But really, it's too hard to choose.
I got you stuck off the realness
We be the infamous
You heard of us
Official Newbridge murderers