Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2819038 times)

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9045 on: August 15, 2012, 08:00:22 PM »
The Kindler call was great and I hope he'll be calling back in the future and wasn't scared off by Gary's hard-hitting questions.

The Albini call was transcendent.  He's such a great natural foil for Tom.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9046 on: August 15, 2012, 08:25:59 PM »
Not sure that I like Wally being considered a "fink" of any kind, nor do I really want him getting covered in muck and garbage.

See, no offense, but this is exactly why it would be so satisfying to see him do it.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9047 on: August 15, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Man, Bad Companying callers is the best.  I was rooting for callers to be boring so I could start to hear Paul Rodgers voice creeping up.  I was positively giddy.  Keep calling in with lame calls.

Agreed, but I think that the call has to be organically lame for the Bad Compay GOMP to be really good.  I didn't like the contrived call by the guy talking about LIBOR as he was obviously trying to provoke a response. Tom probably had no choice but to B/C him, and I thought it was funny. Actually, I think Tom tried to string him out a bit longer than the caller expected, but to the caller's credit, he had ample material.

I'm not completely sure he was baiting Tom to B/C him but it did cross my mind.  We me never know.

"Hey, couple of things"! I tend to think that LIBOR dude was pretty sincere ... I know that type of dude. Some people who are really enthusiastic about political talk assume that everyone else is as gung-ho about it as they are.

In any case, Tom Bad-Companyed that guy expertly. I like it when Tom raises the Paul Rodgers volume on someone, catches a snippet of caller conversation that might be interest, lowers the Paul Rodgers, gets bored again, raises the Paul Rodgers ... It's like a rolly-coaster.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9048 on: August 15, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »
Kudos to Tom for keeping Albini on the line as long as he did. Seems like Tom had won him over by the end of the call.

When Tom was talking about the older-than-the-rest-of-the-band keyboardist for Night Ranger, I wondered if that might have been the inspiration for Barry Dworkin.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9049 on: August 15, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
I'd be sticking out of him, from both his torso and left arm.

The problem is...?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

chetfarnsworth

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9050 on: August 16, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »
In any case, Tom Bad-Companyed that guy expertly. I like it when Tom raises the Paul Rodgers volume on someone, catches a snippet of caller conversation that might be interest, lowers the Paul Rodgers, gets bored again, raises the Paul Rodgers ... It's like a rolly-coaster.

^this, absolutely. it's the best to hear it fade in, hold for a minute to build the suspense, and then (like tom said on the first show he did it) it's like the whammy.

roman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9051 on: August 16, 2012, 12:00:44 PM »

Some dude called and suggested that I and Wally fill that role.  Not sure that I like Wally being considered a "fink" of any kind, nor do I really want him getting covered in muck and garbage.  Also, though you're most likely joking, he's not a marionette, thus leaving a lot more than strings to edit out, as I'd be sticking out of him, from both his torso and left arm.  I think there is a better Fink candidate out there, yet.

-Zach

Wally makes a perfect fink and you know it.  His eyeball would roll off into the garbage heap and he'd have to find a new one to glue on there.....maybe it would just be an eggshell to tide him over for the rest of the episode.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9052 on: August 16, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
Not sure that I like Wally being considered a "fink" of any kind, nor do I really want him getting covered in muck and garbage.

See, no offense, but this is exactly why it would be so satisfying to see him do it.

Yeesh!  Great, thanks so much!  Also, Fredericks, I was saying the "problem" would be that it would cost a lot more to digitally erase all of me than it would some marionette strings.  If it wouldn't be a problem to see me, then that's another story.  Also, roman, no, I don't know it.

-Zach

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9053 on: August 16, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »
Top shelf show!

The Albini call was awesome and fascinating. He def. had an 'edge' to him, and lobbed a few quasi-zingers at Tom. But Tom stood his ground (esp. in defense of basketball), and made him genuinely laugh on more than one occasion. The Asperger's/baseball thing made so much sense.

It would be awesome if it could be a once-a-month call-in, with 'the other Steve' on the other line laughing at everything.

Kormod

« Reply #9054 on: August 16, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »
He should just call in every week.

dutch

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9055 on: August 16, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »
The Albini call was awesome and fascinating. He def. had an 'edge' to him, and lobbed a few quasi-zingers at Tom. But Tom stood his ground (esp. in defense of basketball), and made him genuinely laugh on more than one occasion. The Asperger's/baseball thing made so much sense.

I'd like to see the world of sports broken down like the animal kingdom. I think Baseball is categorically closer to parlor games like shuffleboard than to soccer/basketball/hockey/football. Golf and  bowling might be in this category too.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #9056 on: August 16, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »
Mr. Albini was the best guest caller (or best guest picking up the phone after someone else called) since Martin Short in 2009.  A truly wonderful segment of radio.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9057 on: August 16, 2012, 10:10:12 PM »
Quote from: MiddleBro link=topic=3693.msg195053#msg195053 date=134515078
  If it wouldn't be a problem to see me, then that's another story.
[/quote

Just wear a purple felt jumpsuit.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9058 on: August 16, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »
The discussion of Billy Joel's "punk" phase was really funny, but I gotta ask: How did Sylvester Stallone come to be managing Billy Joel during this period?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9059 on: August 16, 2012, 10:39:05 PM »
Quote from: MiddleBro link=topic=3693.msg195053#msg195053 date=134515078
  If it wouldn't be a problem to see me, then that's another story.
[/quote

Just wear a purple felt jumpsuit.

This quote conundrum is funny.

Doesn't happen every time.