Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2819269 times)

noah

Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10980 on: February 12, 2015, 05:59:10 PM »

[/quote]

This really confused me. I guess I must have missed it when it was announced that the Half Hour of Power would be podcast-only and not broadcast live. When the stream for the main show stopped, I sat by my computer hitting refresh for about half an hour thinking that the HHoP was going to start!
[/quote]

Hey Tony, why don't you join us in the chat during the show.  Not sure if you were there last Tue, but its a lot of fun and info moves a little quicker there than on Twitter I think.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10981 on: February 12, 2015, 08:20:53 PM »
I wasn't really confused, but I wondered if Tom was going to take calls even though it wasn't streaming live online. Didn't he say something about open phones?

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10982 on: February 13, 2015, 12:47:21 AM »
The Half Hour Of Power should be available for listening on all your usual podcast/download forums in a few hours. Please download it.

Yes, it's open phones, totally unscreened.

Tom.

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10983 on: February 13, 2015, 03:58:13 PM »
Was this week the first time that someone became aware that he was being Bad Companied as the BC was in progress?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10984 on: February 13, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »
Was this week the first time that someone became aware that he was being Bad Companied as the BC was in progress?
If that is the case, I blame Jason Gross!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10985 on: February 13, 2015, 06:07:37 PM »
All right, just finished the Half Hour of Power. Loved it. The stammering Anon caller and Tom's impression of Mike doing a Tonight Show monologue were my favorite moments.

GroverJefferson

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10986 on: February 14, 2015, 11:27:33 AM »
Does anyone remember what other comics Tom said he's been reading besides Captain Marvel? I keep my comics habit in check by only buying titles from Scharpling recommended artists.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10987 on: February 14, 2015, 03:45:53 PM »
Does anyone remember what other comics Tom said he's been reading besides Captain Marvel? I keep my comics habit in check by only buying titles from Scharpling recommended artists.

Captain Marvel by Kelly Sue DeConick, Stumptown by Greg Rucka and Matthew Southworth and he's purchased Satellite Sam by Matt Fraction and Howard Chaykin but has yet to read it. I haven't read Captain Marvel, but can recommend the other two. I think he also mentioned some Captain America by Ed Brubaker but I might be wrong.

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10988 on: February 14, 2015, 04:01:46 PM »
Regarding sponsorship, cool labels and music on the show...

I'm in the UK, so the majority of podcast sponsors make products that are not available to me. However, one thing I am very likely to buy is music featured on the show especially albums that get a good word from Tom. Most of the music I currently like (and buy) is stuff I first heard on either The Best Show (or Cherry Blossom Clinic), such as Ty Segall, Thee Oh Sees, Kurt Vile and White Fence. I even bought both volumes of Schlagermoroder. And, following this weeks Goner special, I shall be looking for a John Wesley Coleman LP next time I am in a record shop.

What I am trying to say is that cool labels should make they are letting Tom play their stuff, perhaps consider sponsoring episodes and, if possible, letting their stuff go out on the Podcast.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10989 on: February 14, 2015, 06:00:27 PM »

Captain Marvel by Kelly Sue DeConick, Stumptown by Greg Rucka and Matthew Southworth and he's purchased Satellite Sam by Matt Fraction and Howard Chaykin but has yet to read it. I haven't read Captain Marvel, but can recommend the other two. I think he also mentioned some Captain America by Ed Brubaker but I might be wrong.

The Jim Starlin run on Warlock that Tom mentioned is pretty great.  Starlin also did a cool "cosmic" take on Captain Marvel back in the 70s that is worth checking out in trade paperback.

Bull Shannon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10990 on: February 18, 2015, 12:05:06 AM »
I do miss the sound collages. I love the show, and love that it's back, but I was just getting into it as Tom was experimenting with those. I think the first episode I listened to was the one where he looped the cicadas buzz with Frankie Teardrop. It was something that really made me realize this show could be anything it wanted. I hope they come back.

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10991 on: February 18, 2015, 01:56:17 AM »
"You ever see Humble Pie back in the day?"

tbennett

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10992 on: February 18, 2015, 08:14:21 AM »
"You ever see Humble Pie back in the day?"

I think that needs to be some kind of catchphrase.  I would happily buy a tour t-shirt with that on it.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10993 on: February 18, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »
Bull -

There would've been one last night. You can thanks iTunes for making my music disappear as I was prepping the show.

THE COLLAGE WILL RETURN

Tom.

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10994 on: February 18, 2015, 08:26:15 AM »
+1 support for The Half Hour of Power, that was great :)
Your vigor for life appalls me.