Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778018 times)

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #12555 on: November 11, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »
....aaand The Show is back. Highlight: the Oreo Woman returned and Tom talked about insane Oreo flavors. Not a personal fan of the idea of "Toilet" flavor, but this year has been in the crapper, so I see where Tom is thinking. Also Wurster called TWICE!

Lowlight: the idea that everybody is on "one strike" -- all of the crew, the callers, Tom himself. He's putting a lot of pressure on himself to make the "Best Show" something different and fantastic. I think that will come without pressure. I was tempted to call, but I might demolish things if it isn't at the right time. Dave from Knoxville needs to go it first.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12556 on: November 21, 2020, 07:23:41 AM »
Dave from Knoxville needs to go it first.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12557 on: November 21, 2020, 09:24:43 PM »
"Dave from Knoxville needs to go it first."

I should have proofread before posting, but the thought behind it is true.....Fredericks, you need to call in the next episode. Or Dave. Or E-Cigs for Legs.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12558 on: December 02, 2020, 09:03:52 PM »
buffcoat, Dammit, fonpr, we need to keep this thread going and I don't want this board to become the "Gennady the Crocodile" show. Post away.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12559 on: December 02, 2020, 11:46:27 PM »
I liked the Wurster call. I think the last two weeks' calls have been really good.

Still listening to the rest of the show. Never got into Sonic Youth but I'm preliminarily interested in what Kim Gordon has to say.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

mnstrfrc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12560 on: December 07, 2020, 01:26:15 PM »
The Kim Gordon episode was an all time great episode. The Wurster call was hilarious. The Dudio impression as well.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12561 on: December 09, 2020, 12:19:48 AM »
I call in, Tom ends the show, Brett forgets I'm on hold! Calling about this: https://archive.org/details/RadioMorania
namely the song that plays 17:48 minutes in. I cannot find this song on any lyrics website...."I'm searching for a patched quilt" seems* to be a lyric on the chorus. Ring any bells to anybody here?

* The trick is that the song is playing on a fictitious shortwave station from "Morania" a Anarcho-Monarchist country somewhere in Europe. The whole thing was actually a reel-to-reel tape put together by a ham radio guy, Gary Bourgeois (not the sound guy who is still alive), back in 1969-ish. He used multitrack recording to get the actual shortwave band noise down, and the audio begins to slightly echo off and on or gets slightly tinny for short periods like an actual shotwave broadcast.....then he reduced it to two-track mono like a good off-air recording! Bourgeois later got into microwave TV in the 1980s, ran his own shows on satellite broadcasting on C-band TV.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12562 on: December 16, 2020, 02:47:53 PM »
Tried to call in AGAIN last night to present the song question and my sequel idea and it was already full-up, repeatedly called....no dice.

Sequel ideas:

Rocky vs. Rambo....I've joked about that for years, but if you used CGI it would look like goofy fun, a "de-aged" Stallone playing both Rocky Balboa and John Rambo. Both characters haunted by their ghosts; Rambo by Col. Trautman (Richard Krenna) and the logging country sheriff played by Brian Dennehy in "First Blood"; Rocky by Mickey and Adrian. Are they actual ghosts or just PTSD delusions? I haven't decided. Will Rambo box Rocky, or will they duel it out in the urban wasteland of North Philadelphia? I haven't decided. I think the title alone would get people into theaters/streaming it on decent-sized TVs.

There was a satirical novel from György Dalos titled "1985: A historical report (Hongkong 2036) from the Hungarian of ***" Which was released in America as "1985: The Year Big Brother Dies". I think we should make it as a film sequel to the 1984 version of "1984", same run-down British areas, different cast because Richard Burton and John Hurt are dead. The blurb from "Goodreads":

January 3, 1985. The announcement comes over the telescreen: Big Brother is dead. His empire, Oceania, has been defeated in a disastrous air battle and is no more. Only two great powers remain: Eurasia and Eastasia. Behind the scenes Big Sister (Big Brother's widow) struggles with the Thought Police and the army for power, while elsewhere the winds of reform sweep through the remnants of Oceania.....Everywhere, under the bitingly humorous hand of György Dalos, George Orwell's chilling world of "1984" seems to be experiencing a thaw, as Orwell's tortured lovers Smith and Julia, O'Brien the Thought Policeman, Ampleforth the hack poet, and Syme the cynical philologist come alive again. However, when the thaw becomes a revolution as the proles get involved, the now-friendly neighboring empire Eurasia steps in to "restore order."

The book was published in America in 1984 and underground in Hungary in the early 1982 or 1983. The model is a mix of the death of Stalin in 1953, Prague Spring (1968) and the Vietnamese takeover of Democratic Kampuchea (Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge) in 1979 after three years of off-and-on border skirmishes between the DK military (more of a heavy militia with a tiny jet fighter-bomber "air force"*) and the superior Vietnamese forces. It turns out that Airstrip One (Britain) was cut off from the American landmass a while ago and "1984" took place in a semi-rump state. I think you could make the novel work as a film, but you would have re-arrange the structure a smidge for a visual medium.

Written while listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LY3ftiLqmE (17 minute version of "Elgia" by New Order)
Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNM_ekVl3gI  ("Rumors" by Fleetwood Mac)

* The dirty secret of the Red Khmer/Khmer Rouge was that they were started with help of the North Vietnamese in the early 1960s as the "Indochinese Communist Party", and after their victory/American withdrawal from Cambodia and the collapse of the Lon Nol government, the Chinese (still in the middle of the Cultural Revolution) backed Pol Pot to the nines. This meant they got Chinese heavy artillery, rocket launchers, and Shenyang knockoffs of the MiG-19 and MiG-21 jet fighter-bombers. The Vietnamese found all that stuff when they took Phnom Penh, the capitol of the country. They also found freshly shot bodies at
S-21 prison camp, the former Lutheran girls school called "Tuol Sleng" or Strychnine Hill, which is now a museum. All of it was a propaganda bonanza for the Vietnamese, who made films of the material, the prison camp and its endless photos of people they shot, etc. Journalist John Pilger, walking through the semi-jungle-overrun city in 1979, found banknotes printed by the DK government rotting in the gutters. They had printed money for the entire country to restart a cash economy, and the Vietnamese had blown up the warehouse the money was stored in, and it blew in the wind and rain.

Dammit

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12563 on: December 24, 2020, 11:06:49 PM »

* The dirty secret of the Red Khmer/Khmer Rouge was that they were started with help of the North Vietnamese in the early 1960s as the "Indochinese Communist Party", and after their victory/American withdrawal from Cambodia and the collapse of the Lon Nol government, the Chinese (still in the middle of the Cultural Revolution) backed Pol Pot to the nines.

Reminded me of Ginsberg's CIA Dope Calypso...
https://youtu.be/bMbVMtNptAo

Heh...there was a Part Two, too. https://youtu.be/-rTnTsi4c4I

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12564 on: January 22, 2021, 08:00:31 PM »
It  breaks my heart to say this but the NJ Weed Strain ep from two weeks ago might be the worst episode of all time.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12565 on: January 27, 2021, 09:43:22 PM »
Where can I find a playlist of yesterdays show I was wondering what the last song was that he played at the start of the show

Bull Shannon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12566 on: February 02, 2021, 02:24:49 PM »
Shoot, I forget the name of the caller, but the woman alternately praising and teasing Tom was a grade-a call. I'm glad there are plenty of nice guy callers on the show, but it's always great when someone gives Tom the business.

I wonder if Tom will ever end up moving the show time to 9pm PST; I feel like the late-night vibe is missing from the show and more weirdos might come out for it.

heliumsocket

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12567 on: February 08, 2021, 12:20:23 PM »
It  breaks my heart to say this but the NJ Weed Strain ep from two weeks ago might be the worst episode of all time.
Why? I haven’t been able to listen to the last few eps.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12568 on: February 18, 2021, 01:33:43 PM »
WE *clap* NEED *clap* OLD *clap* TIMERS *clap* CALLING *clap* IN!!!

FREDERICKS, CALL!

DAMMIT, CALL!

JASON FROM KNOXVILLE! F--KIN' CALL!!

We need SPIKE on THE PHONE, STAT!

The dude they have working phones did not recognize me, I called in Tues and hung up in frustration.
TO ANY BEST SHOW STAFF: I will use the NATO phonetic phrase "Kilo Six Uniform Alpha Alpha" as verification....because if I say "Krokodil Gena from the board" they say "Who?" It's my bit to say "the Board has come in from the Cold" to Tom when I start.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12569 on: February 23, 2021, 10:53:03 PM »
In the Wurster call his magician character says "Sorry gentlemen I have to give birth to a Styx fan" as a metaphor for going to the bathroom during his FBI story. I have never heard that expression in my life, and I've heard a zillion of 'em.