Author Topic: Comedy Central's Roast of Bob Saget  (Read 12127 times)

samir

• Space Champion!
Re: Comedy Central's Roast of Bob Saget
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »
U.S. TV star Bob Saget has raced to the defence of his former Full House co-stars Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen after comedians at his recent Comedy Central Roast turned on the twins.

Saget insists some of the gags about the sisters, who shared the role of his daughter Michelle on the sitcom, were a little offensive and he was upset the former child stars were poked fun at.

At one point funnyman Jeff Ross quipped, "Mary-Kate and Ashley were supposed to be here tonight, but they heard there was food," alluding to Mary-Kate Olsen's much-publicised battle with an eating disorder.

In a press statement, angry Saget says, "Anybody who talks about my TV kids - that upsets me. I am very protective. I love them very, very much."

The roast will air in the U.S. on 17 August.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 10:13:11 PM »
Anybody watching this right now?

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 10:47:17 PM »
Anybody watching this right now?

I'm recording it so I can blow through it in like 20min.

Matt C

• Policemans heel
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 03:43:44 AM »
I liked it, it was nice seeing Jon Lovitz again especially.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 06:53:32 AM »
My Bob Saget Roast Report
-or-
I will watch this and complain the whole time so you don't have to.

Jeff Garlin looks really bad with short hair, and he always looks like he has a huge wallet or really tight pants when he sits down. Never comfortable! I can't wait to hear him speak.

John Stamos is hosting, and he seems like the least personable guy in the world. I can't stop imagining him with a black eye and being the exact kind of guy who did something to deserve it, like grabbing your girlfriends behind right in front of you.

Now I'm 25 minutes in, and on my first laugh. Granted, it was a Greg Giraldo laugh which are at best a mild chuckle, but I do believe that somewhere in another divergent reality (one where he never got hooked up with the Tough Crowd gang) he's pretty funny.

This is the one roast I actually wanted Andy Dick at, just so he might beat up Jon Lovitz again. His stand up is the absolute worst, and this is even worse than that.

Second laugh, Jeff Ross. Some old timey joke that was sort of clever and hacky. But that's still one begrudging point for him!

Jodi Sweeten looks like a latter-day Britney Spears, with a weird bouffant (I think thats what its called) and a tshirt. She's still hot though, and look, no meth-mouth! That's either a bonus for her or the company that made her veneers.

Lewis Black has his a video message for Bob. Apparently he wasn't available to be there in person.

Susie Essman: "The reason I'm here is because this is a challenge for me". If the challenge is reading through the jokes some dick loving homophobe wrote for you as fast as you can with little to no inflection or rhythm, you win.

Brian Pohsen, I don't get it, and I don't like it. "Bob, you've been a big influence on me man". He really better need that cash, I want to believe he does.

Alan Thicke is in attendance. So is Scott Bakula.

Cloris Leachman is by far the funniest person up there right now, she has a knack for this. Making out with John Stamos seemed "too fakey". 

Norm MacDonald may not be Andy Kaufman, but at least he has the appropriate amount of respect for this event (none).

The moment I've been waiting for, Jeff Garlin! Oh shit, he's doing a stupid character. Now he's doing jokes, as himself, but in that same sloppy character. May he always find the pit walls too slippery to climb.

Commercial. In the preview of the movie "College", Verne Troyer punches a guy at a kegger. Looks AMAZING. Ly bad. Edgy opinion, I know.

Sarah Silverman has a video from Bob's "mom", played by that character actress everybody knows but doesn't know, she does plenty of commercials. I don't buy that she's his mother.

You cannot fault Jim Norton for doing this, however you feel about him (but I still don't like him). This is his bread and butter with something disgusting/perverse on it, so what can you say.

Rickles was Rickles, he always makes me laugh if not for his humor then for the funny faces he makes when he talks. Only one racist joke! He looks so alive, it's amazing.

How is it possible that Gilbert Gottfried is making me laugh?! I must be mistaken. "Best" Olsen twins joke of the night, which is still not a very high water mark. I want him to say "That's Me!" so bad.

I just spaced out on the rest, which means Bob Saget started talking. I'd hope he goes home and cries himself to sleep about how awful this was, but millionaires never cry.

That was the worst one yet, and I've actually enjoyed the others somewhat. End of report!

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 08:27:52 AM »
Thanks, RegJoe. I enjoyed your summary 1000% more than I would have enjoyed the actual broadcast.

Can you do the Flavor Flav one, too?

dotmap

• Policemans heel
Did anyone else see the roast of Bob Saget?
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 11:57:53 AM »
I watched it, and for me, it was as if someone heard the times when Tom talked about Bob Saget, Bob Saget's comedy (filth mouth, full house spoofing, etc.), and the hate pit (Not only was Bob Saget there, but former hate pit member Jeff Garlin was also present), and went "Great! Let's make an hour and a half show encompassing all of that!". Did they have to shoot it from the hate pit? Did Jeff Garlin get a free entry pass since he was a former member?

dotmap

• Policemans heel
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 12:18:09 PM »
I thought that it was kind of funny that they needed to take the Full House spoof to another level by having the actors there. Like as if seeing "Joey's" face when the punchline is given really makes it that much more appropriate.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 12:42:11 PM »
I thought that it was kind of funny that they needed to take the Full House spoof to another level by having the actors there. Like as if seeing "Joey's" face when the punchline is given really makes it that much more appropriate.

Does that mean Dave Coulier was in attendance? If yes, did he speak?

Days of Se7en

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 02:19:39 PM »
Brian Pohsen, I don't get it, and I don't like it. "Bob, you've been a big influence on me man". He really better need that cash, I want to believe he does.

You do realize that sentence was the set-up for a joke, right?  That he wasn't actually complimenting Saget?  I forget the punchline, it wasn't great or anything, but come on, don't blatantly misrepresent the guy like that.

I thought the roast had its moments.  Greg Giraldo and Jim Norton were both solidly funny.  It was definitely not the worst one ever, there's no way it was worse than the Flava Flav roast.  That was a disaster.  This one was pretty good.

John Stamos's teeth are insanely white.
Don't worry, I'm not actually a fan of the film Se7en.  I just think that numerical spelling is hilarious.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 07:33:27 PM »
My Bob Saget Roast Report
-or-
I will watch this and complain the whole time so you don't have to.

Now I'm 25 minutes in, and on my first laugh. Granted, it was a Greg Giraldo laugh which are at best a mild chuckle, but I do believe that somewhere in another divergent reality (one where he never got hooked up with the Tough Crowd gang) he's pretty funny.

This is the one roast I actually wanted Andy Dick at, just so he might beat up Jon Lovitz again. His stand up is the absolute worst, and this is even worse than that.

From what I remember, Giraldo always strayed from the rest of the comics when he was on Tough Crowd. Most of those guys like Colin Quinn and Nick DiPaulo are pretty conservative and Giraldo always seemed to piss them off because he's a lot smarter (didn't he go to Columbia and Harvard Law?)

The absolute worst was Jon Lovitz. Totally unfunny and it's really bad to stay with just gay jokes for your whole set. Gilbert Gottfried, Giraldo, & Jeffrey Ross are always good at roasts. Cloris Leachman filled the role of the old, out of place woman very well and was much funnier than previous old ladies (Betty White, Bea Arthur).

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 08:15:34 PM »

From what I remember, Giraldo always strayed from the rest of the comics when he was on Tough Crowd. Most of those guys like Colin Quinn and Nick DiPaulo are pretty conservative and Giraldo always seemed to piss them off because he's a lot smarter (didn't he go to Columbia and Harvard Law?

Apparently, yet he consistently loses on Root of All Evil (except for the one where he was arguing that drinking games are more evil than the Olympics, which isn't exactly a monumentally hard case to make).

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »
I was puzzled about Norm MacDonald's bit. His jokes were all horrible, worse than anyone else's, and that's an achievement with this group. Were they purposely bad? That's what I thought. If so, that's a little bit funny in itself, like saying, this event is such a joke that it doesn't merit me standing up here and trying to actually make jokes. Because that would be respecting it somehow.

It had it's moments, but all in all, a mediocre roast of a hate-pit-worthy "comedian."

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 09:47:07 PM »
You do realize that sentence was the set-up for a joke, right?  That he wasn't actually complimenting Saget?  I forget the punchline, it wasn't great or anything, but come on, don't blatantly misrepresent the guy like that.

Yes, for that particular joke he wasnt being sincere, but there were times towards the end of his set where he got just as deep into the "sincere moment" as read off teleprompter as everyone else (even under thinly veiled sarcasm), which was sad, because I love him. I honestly wanted to say worse about that bit, but I deleted most of it out of that same respect. All in all I didn't throw him under the bus, he went willingly all on his own.

Days of Se7en

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 10:28:56 PM »
Greg Giraldo is underrated and really funny, in any context, but especially at roasts.  I am pro-Giraldo!
Don't worry, I'm not actually a fan of the film Se7en.  I just think that numerical spelling is hilarious.