Author Topic: Comedy Central's Roast of Bob Saget  (Read 12129 times)

Phil

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Comedy Central's Roast of Bob Saget
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 01:12:44 AM »
I was puzzled about Norm MacDonald's bit. His jokes were all horrible, worse than anyone else's, and that's an achievement with this group. Were they purposely bad? That's what I thought. If so, that's a little bit funny in itself, like saying, this event is such a joke that it doesn't merit me standing up here and trying to actually make jokes. Because that would be respecting it somehow.

I thought Macdonald turned in the best performance -- which, given the show, isn't saying a whole lot. He did make me laugh more than anyone else. And then he kept explaining his lame jokes, which got a couple of additional laughs.

It felt like he swiped all his jokes verbatim from some long-out-of-print collection of generic insults for roasts and toasts, circa 1950 or something. That actually seems entirely plausible to me, and pretty funny.

The title would've been something like: The Unabashed Treasury of Roastmaster's Wit. And the author have been anonymous, or it could have been a pseudonym such as, "The Roastmaster."

Sorry... I'm going on a bit with this.

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 03:01:07 AM »
That youtube clip is of norm macdonald is the only thing I've seen and I thought it was pretty funny.  I thought it was pretty great that it was more or less totally clean.  I loved when he said "Ladies and Gentleman, this man is for the birds."  It's so not Norm Macdonald to say "Ladies and Gentlemen".  It was totally like just some crappy instult-toast at a PAL dinner or something.  But I hate Roasts in general, so who am I to judge?

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 03:06:55 AM »
I love the stack of index cards.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 09:34:48 AM »

It felt like he swiped all his jokes verbatim from some long-out-of-print collection of generic insults for roasts and toasts, circa 1950 or something.

Yah, Henny Youngman was the KING of the bungee-chord joke!!!

Phil

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 10:09:32 AM »

I guess I was focused on the "this man is for the birds," "over the hill" material... and the gentlemen/scoundrel joke about Gilbert Gottfried.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 12:44:12 PM »

It felt like he swiped all his jokes verbatim from some long-out-of-print collection of generic insults for roasts and toasts, circa 1950 or something.

Stop being so thorough.  Seriously, come off it.

Phil

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 01:00:57 PM »
You know... Henny lived long enough to have told a bungee cord joke or two. It's possible. ;D

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 03:50:33 PM »
I thought Macdonald turned in the best performance -- which, given the show, isn't saying a whole lot. He did make me laugh more than anyone else. And then he kept explaining his lame jokes, which got a couple of additional laughs.

It felt like he swiped all his jokes verbatim from some long-out-of-print collection of generic insults for roasts and toasts, circa 1950 or something. That actually seems entirely plausible to me, and pretty funny.

The title would've been something like: The Unabashed Treasury of Roastmaster's Wit. And the author have been anonymous, or it could have been a pseudonym such as, "The Roastmaster."

Sorry... I'm going on a bit with this.

See, that's what I had to conclude. Which I agree, kind of makes his performance more clever than everyone else's.  If I missed the point initially, which I think I sort of did, his jokes weren't actually the worst, they were very good.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »

Stop being so thorough.  Seriously, come off it.

Aww shucks, I was just a-joshin