Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 911703 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #765 on: May 29, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »
Dinosaur Jr

What is there to like about this whiny over-trebley buzzing? I have tried and tried and tried to like it, but I can't even appreciate it.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #766 on: May 29, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »
Dinosaur Jr

What is there to like about this whiny over-trebley buzzing? I have tried and tried and tried to like it, but I can't even appreciate it.

Throw Pavement in there, too, for slightly different but similar enough reasons.

If I had a dollar for every time someone had said, "You'd really like Pavement," I'd have, like maybe 12 dollars.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #767 on: May 29, 2009, 05:22:14 PM »
I like both Dinosaur Jr. and Pavement. Although, I do think both bands are overrated to a certain degree.

There are several bands/artists that I "don't get":

Big Black
Rapeman
Shellac
Joy Division
Lou Reed
Nico
Spacemen 3
My Bloody Valentine
The Dream Syndicate
The Jesus Lizard
Sebadoh
The Birthday Party

While I am a fan of The Velvet Underground, I despise the VU & Nico. What an overrated, unlistenable piece of trash that is.

Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

J. Garbage

« Reply #768 on: May 29, 2009, 05:32:02 PM »
Dinosaur Jr

NOYOUDIDN'T!

Haven't you ever masturbated like three times before you even got out of bed then gotten really baked then tried to remedy your cottonmouth with a skunked beer, then microwaved a burrito but forgot to take the plastic wrap off and then eat it anyway and then stared at the static on t.v. for an hour and a half?  What I'm trying to say is, did you spend a lot of time depressed and alone between the ages of 16 and 20?  Of course you did!  Why don't you like this band?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #769 on: May 29, 2009, 05:42:37 PM »
I like every band mentioned in the above posts!

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #770 on: May 29, 2009, 05:47:38 PM »

Scratch The Jesus Lizard and The Birthday Party, both of those bands are pretty good. But I stand by the rest of my list.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #771 on: May 29, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »

Scratch The Jesus Lizard and The Birthday Party, both of those bands are pretty good. But I stand by the rest of my list.

Plenty of them are arguable.  It's not like I'm the biggest Dream Syndicate or Nico fan, though I like their stuff enough.  But do you really not like TransformerSongs about F*cking?

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #772 on: May 29, 2009, 06:16:42 PM »
I prefer Lou Reed's work with the VU over his solo output. Transformer sounds dated to me. In fact, some of the songs on Transformer were done better on those mid 80's Velvets outtake albums. I'll take Rock n' Roll Animal and Take No Prisoners over Transformer. The rest of his catalog doesn't do anything for me.

As I see it, the problem with Big Black is twofold. First, everything from the music to the lyrics sounds contrived. Secondly, if it's abrasiveness and unpleasant aesthetics they're going for, they fail miserably on both counts. I've heard old free jazz records from the 1960's that are far more abrasive and unpleasant sounding than anything Big Black ever recorded. Some people say they like Big Black because they offer a unique insight into the ethos of Middle America. For me, it seems like Steve Albini is just trying to piss people off. I'm just not impressed by them. They're boring.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #773 on: May 29, 2009, 06:35:36 PM »
Well, I've heard plenty of grindcore albums that are more abrasive and unpleasant than Big Black.  I actually think that Big Black is kind of catchy.

You're write on the relative rating of Lou Reed's output (though I think Berlin is pretty good), I guess he's just done enough good stuff to earn a free pass from me.  It is kind of stupid that Lou Reed is this legend and John Cale is known mostly to music types, even though John Cale's solo output is overall better in my opinion.

I'm just not that picky musically.  I mean, I have my favorites, but I'm always the guy who defends this band or that.

Horseraces.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #774 on: May 29, 2009, 06:46:50 PM »
Well, I've heard plenty of grindcore albums that are more abrasive and unpleasant than Big Black.  I actually think that Big Black is kind of catchy.

You're write on the relative rating of Lou Reed's output (though I think Berlin is pretty good), I guess he's just done enough good stuff to earn a free pass from me.  It is kind of stupid that Lou Reed is this legend and John Cale is known mostly to music types, even though John Cale's solo output is overall better in my opinion.

I'm just not that picky musically.  I mean, I have my favorites, but I'm always the guy who defends this band or that.

Horseraces.

Agree 100% on John Cale. Those albums he did with Island Records in the mid 70's are all great. Regarding Big Black, I think Steve Albini is more a turnoff for me than the music is. I do agree that some Big Black stuff is catchy (e.g. Racer-X, a few songs from Atomizer). I just think that, much like Throbbing Gristle, the work of Big Black has more shock value than actual entertainment value.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #775 on: May 29, 2009, 08:23:57 PM »
Efficiency, efficiency they say.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #776 on: May 29, 2009, 08:27:17 PM »
Htf did I write "write"?

A friend just saw throbbing gristle and they were apparently great. More a continuation of Coil than anything. Coil being one of my top 5 bands.

Btw writing this from the nosebleeds at Coors Field.

Julie

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #777 on: May 29, 2009, 08:40:26 PM »
Dinosaur Junior? Give me a break! Maybe if you take idiot pills for breakfast you will enjoy them. There are worse things, but just because they are better than Miley Cyrus doesn't mean their good.
I have a long history of booing

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #778 on: May 29, 2009, 08:40:30 PM »
never heard a note of music by him, but I can tell you I LOVE Rapeman.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

J. Garbage

« Reply #779 on: May 29, 2009, 08:54:48 PM »
Dinosaur Junior? Give me a break! Maybe if you take idiot pills for breakfast you will enjoy them. There are worse things, but just because they are better than Miley Cyrus doesn't mean their good.

Go Rapeman yourself.