Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 914156 times)

oncegompedtwiceshy

• Policemans heel
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #1125 on: November 19, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »
Despite your nebulous use of the word "some" and the dangerous of incorrect measurements, I will say Sarah that your remedy worked. I have also been banned from the elevator at work for my gastronomic expressiveness.

Sarah

« Reply #1126 on: November 19, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
I'm glad.  I use this as my last-resort remedy, because of all the sodium, but it has never failed me yet.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1127 on: November 26, 2009, 07:57:47 AM »
As some of you know, I edit the online version of an academic film journal, which basically means I receive, review and publish essays and festival reports to our website, stuff we can't fit in the printed journal. And I'm constantly amazed at the incompetence of some of our contributors. On a formal writing/editing level, that is - they usually know their subjects very well. Writers can be a sloppy, lazy bunch as it is - but throw in "middle-aged", "academic" AND "written for the web" into the mix and you got a headache-inducing combo. You'd think these professional people in their 40s-50s knew better than to use comic sans, embed images in Word documents, use [space] instead of [tab] and [............] instead of [...], but no. Enough to make your head spin. I spend way more time on these texts than I should.

Anyway. Short story long. Something that's really appreciated by me as an editor is when writers supply their own images. Images can be a bitch to track down, even with Google. So this morning I was thrilled when I got an essay in my Inbox with accompanying images. Perfect! Then I looked at the images. This is the actual size of one of them:

This guy probably spent a good amount of time tracking these thumbnails down too. What's even more hilarious frustrating is that he sent like fifteen images - all about the same size - for a piece that warrants perhaps three.

I know, I whine, this is a tiny issue and I can't believe I wrote this much about it. But I'm sure some of you can relate, especially if you work with the web or with people who still, in 2009, have no idea how images, documents or formatting work.

Barry Egan

« Reply #1128 on: December 07, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »
So at work today I rented this special lens called the Abakus Stadium lens to the Discovery Channel, who in the past have used it for the "in-bowl" shots on Puppy Bowl.

"So you are you guys doing pickups on Puppy Bowl?", I ask.

"No, this for a new show.  It's going to be about hoarders!"

"Wait, another show about Hoarders?"

"Yeah.  Ours is going to be way better than A&E's"

So uh, look out for that, folks.

kiemzi

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1129 on: December 08, 2009, 09:41:37 AM »
But, that doesn't make any sense! The "Arts & Entertainment" network has already helped us "Discover" the "Entertainment" of other people's misery. Or wait... is "Hoarders" art?

Besides, when is "Discovery" going to realize that they're sitting on a goldmine and just become the 24 hour "Puppy Bowl" network?

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1130 on: December 08, 2009, 11:40:54 AM »
Waking up in the morning to find out that your hot water heater pipe has frozen.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1131 on: December 08, 2009, 03:54:44 PM »
Not every member of our immediate family is going to be able to come to all of your family dinners. There are 20 of us.

So if only, say, six of us can come, try not to mope the entire time about the remainder of the people not making it out. Kind of takes the fun away from family time. And, it's a shitty way to tell us that our presence isn't appreciated unless everyone else shows up too.

Because, you see, next year NO ONE will show and you will really have something to complain about.
from the land of pleasant living

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1132 on: December 08, 2009, 04:12:07 PM »
I hate vague emergency texts like "Accident at work, in the hospital, it's broken pretty bad. Call you later" my brother sent this to me an hour ago... WTF?!!
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1133 on: December 08, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »
I hate vague emergency texts like "Accident at work, in the hospital, it's broken pretty bad. Call you later" my brother sent this to me an hour ago... WTF?!!
Probably not his finger, huh?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1134 on: December 08, 2009, 04:44:54 PM »
F. you, Old Navy, for foisting the Super Modelquins on us. Is this a Canadian ad campaign, or do you have it in the U.S., too? It kinda smells Canadian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ9zhOaEIrw

What effect are they going for here? Disgust? Repulsion? Alarm? This is one of the most unsettling ads ever. It falls pretty neatly into the category of the "uncanny," not something that any advertiser should be striving for.

Under The Rug

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1135 on: December 15, 2009, 11:15:31 PM »
The officials at the University of Chicago. They can't get their servers straight for admissions day, can't send out notification emails to applicants for hours for the second time (like they said they would), and then defer me when they admit: "I can't believe it! I'm going to HOGWARTS!!!!" (paraphrase).
For every whale that sinks, a dolphin must rise.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1136 on: December 16, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »
I'm sitting here with all these gifts, food and money I collected for an adopt a family program. So I call the nonprofit I'm working with to find out when I can drop them off, and they say no later than 4:30 pm, because that's when they go home for the day. Doesn't matter that most people have to work til 5 or later, and that I'll have to take time of work during the busiest week of the year to go do this. No need to make it easy for us volunteers.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1137 on: December 16, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »
you should volunteer to make their life a little easier and just follow the rules.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1138 on: December 16, 2009, 05:16:37 PM »
I hate the soda machine at work. Yesterday, it dispensed a soda can that, upon coming out, promptly exploded in my face.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1139 on: December 16, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »
you should volunteer to make their life a little easier and just follow the rules.

Nobody said I wasn't taking the obligatory time off work to follow their rules.