Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 911745 times)

Sarah

Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »
Shows what you know, brat.  No sense of tradition.  Shameful.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2008, 02:05:17 PM »
Can't go wrong with miswak!
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2008, 03:02:57 PM »
Right Now, Sammy is Driving Too Fast.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2008, 03:35:22 PM »
where are miswak trees? can i find one in my upstate ny backyard?

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2008, 06:47:21 PM »
NJ Transit.  And the Rutgers Bus System, while Im at it.  F you both sideways.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Julie

« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2008, 07:48:45 PM »
I missed a few pages. Could someone please fill me in?
I have a long history of booing

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2008, 05:43:06 PM »
It's been 2+ years since Ted Stevens commented about internet "tubes" and not a day goes by when some tech guy doesn't reference it sarcastically, on blogs and in person.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2008, 06:22:29 PM »
There's something in here about Sarah Palin, Alaska politicians, and getting your tubes tied.  Let's get cracking, Leno staffers!
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Julie

« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2008, 07:32:11 PM »
There's something in here about Sarah Palin, Alaska politicians, and getting your tubes tied.  Let's get cracking, Leno staffers!

I am going to get my tubes tied because i am afraid I would severely disappoint my offspring. Then i'm going to freeze myself to death, just like in the movies. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I have a long history of booing

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2008, 07:54:51 PM »
true...but prior to the internet people still referred to books, periodicals, archives, and people just as frequently when needed. 

My guess is people probably did not refer to print resources as frequently as they do Wikipedia. So it's possible (possible) that we are more informed now.

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2008, 07:59:24 PM »
When I think about it, I read a ton and didn't really watch TV or anything as a child. So it's logical to think that I would be reading more if it wasn't for the internet. But I think I would still be way less informed about the world in general- both in terms of things like music and comedy and in terms of world events and "real" knowledge.

Mostly I'm just angry at anyone who writes an article about how stupid kids today are. Sorry we didn't purposely ignore all technology developed in the last 50 years in order to perfectly replicate your own experience, which is of course the ideal.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2008, 09:52:45 PM »

I will always hold dear to my heart the hold music from NJ Transit circa 1990. After being forced to listen to it for blocks of 15-20 minutes, I could not help but fall under it's hypnotic beauty.

with a casio-esque drum pattern played beneath, a male voice would speak/sing the following line:

"Enjaaaaaaaaay Tran-sit......Workin......New Jersey On the Move...."

Dan B

« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2008, 10:00:47 PM »
The EE is the worst.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2008, 10:15:44 PM »
Holy s-hit Bobo, I totally forgot about that stupid hold music until just now.  Did you have to live the carless life in NJ in the early 90s too?  I wound up in some pretty hairy situations, as evidently they have a policy of hiring the meanest people in the entire state to drive the buses, and then they route them all through the most dangerous neighborhoods they can find.  But oh yes do I remember sitting on that phone waiting to find out when my last train or bus or whatever was.  Hey, maybe I was the reason you were on hold, or vice versa!

And yes, Dan, I was 25 minutes late to the first class of the semester on Douglass because the EE goes to like Piscataway or some shit and no one saw fit to tell the faculty that it had been rerouted (though, to be fair, I haven't taught on Douglass since 2005).  I should just walk.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2008, 10:18:10 PM »

I will always hold dear to my heart the hold music from NJ Transit circa 1990. After being forced to listen to it for blocks of 15-20 minutes, I could not help but fall under it's hypnotic beauty.

with a casio-esque drum pattern played beneath, a male voice would speak/sing the following line:

"Enjaaaaaaaaay Tran-sit......Workin......New Jersey On the Move...."

I used to  like when the train went through Secaucus. The conductor always said:  "SEEEEE....CAWWW-KUSS!!!" Do they still do that, or is it all automated voices now?