Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 860600 times)

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #1755 on: January 24, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »
Fredericks: Hear me.  If you want to self-express, vote for the Libertarian douche with no chance of being seriously in the running in November.

If you want to make your vote actively fuck around with the opposition to Obama, vote for Gnoot.
I truly appreciate the input. 

Messing with the oppostion sounds fun.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1756 on: January 25, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1757 on: January 25, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
Help me, I plan on voting in the Republican primary.  Ron Paul or Newt? 

Mitt is too rich for my tastes.

I was thinking of doing this myself. However, by the time the Indiana primary rolls around, it kind of doesn't matter at all.

Kormod

« Reply #1758 on: January 25, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »

I like how this serves two purposes:

1) It tells the truth in as blunt a way as possible.

2) It pisses off the Republicans and makes them want to nominate Newt even more.

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1759 on: January 25, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »
Maybe it's because I'm from the Midwest that I feel that way. I don't think Pres. Obama is going to defeat anyone in a landslide, and I don't feel that Romney really plays well to middle class, middle America people and those are the people who win elections. He is a right wing kook, but if you give that kook a platform at the highest stage he'll stir up emotions in people and he's shown that he can do that in the Republican debates. Right wingers would say the same thing about Obama last election. I think everybody is vastly underestimating how electable Newt is.

Ah, the wingnut wager of Limbaugh et al: Only a "true conservative" candidate is supposed to be able to lead a "truly conservative campaign" that will be able to inspire the heartland and win the masses. It's basically the opposite approach of those favoring Romney or "moderates" (as if there are any in the GOP these days) who think that the teabaggers will scare off the independents in the general election.

Personally, I don't think Newt is going to win the nomination. It's simply Romney's turn, and the good old boys still control the party. All that the base will achieve is drive Romney further towards appealing to their resentments in order to secure victory.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1760 on: January 25, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »
Hey Fredericks, I like Paul the most of the four, but I'd vote for Newt in this particular primary.

Paul gets no delegates unless he wins Florida.

The longer Newt stays in the race, the more fun it will be to watch.  And if someone that unlikeable actually gets nominated, there could be more opportunity for a third party candidate.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1761 on: January 25, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
Hey Fredericks, I like Paul the most of the four, but I'd vote for Newt in this particular primary.

Paul gets no delegates unless he wins Florida.

The longer Newt stays in the race, the more fun it will be to watch.  And if someone that unlikeable actually gets nominated, there could be more opportunity for a third party candidate.
Newt it is!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1762 on: January 25, 2012, 08:19:20 PM »
Warren Buffett just came up with the greatest ever riposte to Republicans' yapping about "class war":

“If this is a war, my side has the nuclear bomb,” Buffett said.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/01/warren-buffett-and-his-secretary-talk-taxes/
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1763 on: January 25, 2012, 08:22:06 PM »
Also, Gnoot pledged to have a permanent US base on the moon by the end of his second term, and a state senator in Oklahoma introduced a bill to prohibit the use of aborted human fetuses in food.  It's a wacky woild.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Kormod

« Reply #1764 on: January 25, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »
Reading the comments section of that Warren Buffett article literally gave me a headache.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1765 on: January 26, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »
Lately, reading comments anywhere gives me a headache. I kind of worry that as I'm increasingly turned off by all of this, I'm increasingly unaware of what's going on.

On the other hand: Moonbases!

Kormod

« Reply #1766 on: January 26, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »
Bob Dole warns against nominating Gingrich:

Gingrich had a new idea every minute and most of them were off the wall. He loved picking a fight with Bill Clinton because he knew this would get the attention of the press. This and a myriad of other specifics helped to topple Gingrich in 1998.

In my run for the presidency in 1996 the Democrats greeted me with a number of negative TV ads and in every one of them Newt was in the ad. He was very unpopular and I am not only certain that this did not help me, but that it also cost House seats that year. Newt would show up at the campaign headquarters with an empty ice-bucket in his hand -- that was a symbol of some sort for him -- and I never did know what he was doing or why he was doing it.

In my opinion if we want to avoid an Obama landslide in November, Republicans should nominate Gov. Romney as our standard bearer. He has the requisite experience in the public and private sectors. He would be a president we could have confidence in.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1767 on: January 28, 2012, 12:00:06 AM »
Also, Gnoot pledged to have a permanent US base on the moon by the end of his second term, and a state senator in Oklahoma introduced a bill to prohibit the use of aborted human fetuses in food.  It's a wacky woild.

That Senator is just in the pocket of the makers of Tofetus (TM), the vegetarian alternative to fetus.

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1768 on: January 28, 2012, 01:19:44 AM »
Maher's closing speech was awesome tonight.

Kormod

« Reply #1769 on: January 29, 2012, 01:02:01 PM »
http://ricochet.com/main-feed/Yes-Virginia-There-is-a-Republican-Establishment

I say this by way of introducing a bit of information I received yesterday from a very well-placed source. A veteran member of the House Republican Caucus recently received a phone call from within the RNC (it was not disclosed to me who placed the call) soliciting his help in convincing Newt Gingrich to step aside and clear a path to the nomination for Mitt Romney. Whoever cooked up this idea was not exactly firing on all cylinders, since (A) the member in question, despite considerable seniority, is far from influential and (B) attempting to stand athwart Newt Gingrich's ambition is like sticking your head in a howitzer.

Remarkably, the member actually agreed to place the call. Gingrich's response? Well, it was a three-word phrase that began with "go" and ended with "yourself." I'd say Newt's insurgent bona fides are still intact.