Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 860593 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #2325 on: November 27, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
cavorting continuing to argue that your vote only counts if you cast it the way he did. Thank God for consistency.

my job as a citizen of a democracy is ...to make my opinion heard, it's to vote for the person with the closest views as mine

That's one way to look at it, but not the only one. Some might say you have a deeper obligation to use your vote in the maximally effective way to benefit your community given the prevailing realities than to use your vote as a form of personal expression.

it's to vote for the person who I honestly think would do the best job.

I really think you may not have thought this through. President Jill Stein would have a constituency in the Congress of precisely zero. The Democrats there would probably cooperate with her where their interests overlapped, but would have no incentive whatever to put themselves out for her to succeed. If you think these are the circumstances under which a president can do an effective job, you must think she has despotic powers or is a magician. You do realize that presidents don't make laws and don't pass budgets, right?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2326 on: November 27, 2012, 12:57:22 PM »
cavorting continuing to argue that your vote only counts if you cast it the way he did. Thank God for consistency.

This is just crazy talk.  There is nothing in the post you quote that could even remotely be construed as meaning that. Aren't you supposed to be some kind of math guy? Like, logic? Rigor?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2327 on: November 28, 2012, 05:44:24 AM »
Logic and rigor have I none, but this dude's candidate is my father's son.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2328 on: November 28, 2012, 05:46:37 AM »
You're right though; how could I read "If you think these are the circumstances under which a president can do an effective job, you must think she has despotic powers or is a magician." as anything but tolerant respect for someone else's opinion about how to decide which candidate to vote for?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2329 on: November 28, 2012, 08:46:55 AM »
Rigor, dude. Impertinent that may have been, but it's a long way from saying "your vote only counts if you cast it the way (I) did." Also, it showed no disrespect for the idea of choosing your candidate on the basis of which one "would do the best job," just for the idea of using that criterion and ending up with Jill Stein. You're not this thin-skinned about everything--what's your problem?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2330 on: November 28, 2012, 10:45:59 AM »
I'm just teasing. I obviously took it too far. I apologize, sincerely, Truce?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2331 on: November 28, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »
If only Mr. Woolery would follow your shining example.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2332 on: November 28, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »
I consider myself to be a Jill Stein-supporting role model.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2333 on: November 28, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »
Truce?

Well...if it'll get your legions of flying Twitter monkeys off my back with all this "wad" business...Yes.

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2334 on: December 02, 2012, 11:00:09 PM »
This looks like an interesting doc.

Vidal V Buckley TRAILER

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2335 on: December 19, 2012, 09:48:57 PM »
Believe me, I'm not sorry for the restraint that has been shown on this board re: talking about the thing you can't get away from elsewhere, but this is just too rich.

Argument over Sandy Hook shooting ends in gunfire:

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/12/19/man-gets-mad-in-barber-shop-shoots-toward-patron/

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2336 on: December 27, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »
Sucks that the Democrats won the popular vote in the House elections, but we still have these clowns  (meaning the clowns with the R's next to their names) running things. And now we're going off some sort of cliff or something? WTF.

Also, this deserves to be posted one last time:

Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2337 on: December 27, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »
Where is "no abortions for any reason" and "fuck them if they don't have health coverage" on that train? The other side?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2338 on: December 27, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »
Where is "no abortions for any reason" and "fuck them if they don't have health coverage" on that train? The other side?

You don't want to ask about the other side of that train, Dave.

For extra comedy, read that in HAL voice.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2339 on: December 27, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »

You don't want to ask about the other side of that train, Dave.

For extra comedy, read that in HAL voice.
Excellent suggestion, Buff.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."