Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 860609 times)

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack
« Reply #2445 on: November 05, 2013, 12:44:21 PM »
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has admitted to smoking crack cocaine, saying he had done so in a "drunken stupor".

Mr Ford made the confession to reporters at city hall on Tuesday, saying he had taken the drug about a year ago but was not an addict.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24824651
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #2446 on: November 05, 2013, 04:39:41 PM »
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2447 on: November 05, 2013, 05:34:27 PM »
He'll always be the mayor of a Van Down by The River in my heart.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2448 on: November 05, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
He'll always be the mayor of a Van Down by The River in my heart.

Oh...that's great.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2449 on: November 05, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »
Cut to tomorrow and Ford will be angry that everyone's still talking about this. "The past is the past! I said I was sorry!"

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2450 on: November 06, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2451 on: November 06, 2013, 01:41:18 PM »
In general, his approval ratings are totally insane, but there is some doubt as to the accuracy of the widely-reported claim that his poll numbers rose after the police confirmed the existence of the crack video.

For those interested in getting into the data analysis, check out the cut-rate Canadian version of Nate Silver on the subject.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2452 on: November 06, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »
Rob Ford seems like the kind of guy who'd try and get a cut of the profits if the crack video was put up for sale.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2453 on: November 06, 2013, 04:55:28 PM »
I know what you mean. He's a total sleaze, but for all his many, many faults, I don't think there's ever really been a suggestion that they guy is trying to line his pockets.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2454 on: November 07, 2013, 07:21:19 AM »
FOTs, please forgive my endless blather and know-it-alliness on this subject. I've been fascinated with this guy for years, and am just over the moon that he's finally getting widespread attention.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2455 on: November 07, 2013, 09:51:41 AM »
Don't apologize, it is pretty fascinating.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2456 on: November 07, 2013, 09:18:23 PM »
Listen to the tunes that get Mayor Ford pumped up for Hockey Night here:

http://songza.com/listen/hockey-night-with-mayor-rob-ford-MayorRobFord/
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2457 on: November 08, 2013, 06:35:50 AM »

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2458 on: November 08, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
There was a completely hideous interview last night with Ford's mother and sister (neither of whom have ever made a public appearance before) in which it was sickeningly obvious that his whole family is in complete denial, and enabling his behaviour. We already knew this about his thuggish city councillor brother Doug.

Previous to this interview, his sister Kathy was best known for being involved with the KKK, getting shot in the head by a white supremacist drug dealer, and having an ex-husband who broke into the family home threatening the entire Ford clan over drug debts.

Interested parties can find it here: http://www.cp24.com/

As hilarious as Ford is, it is almost a sure thing that this will only end with him in jail or dead.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2459 on: November 08, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
And regarding the "murder rant video" I think it's completely possible that he's goofing around. It seems like it was recorded around the time he met Hulk Hogan, and his repeated use of "brother" is very Hogan-esque. He's obviously out of his mind on booze and (probably) coke, but I think he could just be getting carried away bragging rather than making serious threats.

Besides that, he routinely acts almost that aggressively in City Council chamber. I did not find this video particularly shocking, but I think it may be the thing that finally starts to erode his support with his base.