Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853954 times)

Emily

• Space Champion!
Re: Why The Dems Might Lose
« Reply #450 on: September 30, 2008, 11:10:04 PM »
Bottom line: Sweden! Sweden! Sweden!

Right?

Eh, no thanks. I already have an IKEA by my house.

When I was in New York in April, some people I met were thrilled that I was from Sweden. "We love IKEA!" they said. And then they asked, "Do you have IKEA in Sweden?"

TRUE STORY

Well, do you?

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #451 on: October 01, 2008, 12:38:33 AM »
I was just putting it out there, I'm not a huge fan of the guy. It's just weird that he's the first liberal I've heard (that isn't an average citizen) who thinks this bailout is a load of crap. I think he's right that once again the Dems are getting played by fear and confusion.

You're referring to Michael Moore, right?

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #452 on: October 01, 2008, 03:55:31 AM »

Right?

When I was in New York in April, some people I met were thrilled that I was from Sweden. "We love IKEA!" they said. And then they asked, "Do you have IKEA in Sweden?"

TRUE STORY

I need closure on that anecdote.

Yes, we do have IKEA warehouses in Sweden.

The same people asked me whether we had any farms in Sweden. (Yes.)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #453 on: October 01, 2008, 08:09:53 AM »

Right?

TRUE STORY

I need closure on that anecdote.

Yes, we do have IKEA warehouses in Sweden.

The same people asked me whether we had any farms in Sweden. (Yes.)

Running water? Electricity? We just got it out here a few months back. Junior keeps sticking his finger in the socket.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #454 on: October 01, 2008, 10:47:11 AM »
If anyone else is like me, and finds that obsessive trawling for election analysis is eating up their time, this is a pretty great site:

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

It provides a daily round-up of polls, news and analysis. Get it all in 10 minutes!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #455 on: October 01, 2008, 12:28:18 PM »
Hey Gilly, I offered up a sort of answer to your bailout question here:

http://jasongrote.blogspot.com/2008/10/quick-and-dirty-bailout-thoughts.html

I'll spare everyone the copy-and-paste.  It's longish.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #456 on: October 01, 2008, 02:02:18 PM »
Why can't we regulate AND get rid of failures? This bill should be all about regulation, not how much money taxpayers are going to have to give Wall Street. Wall Street will pick itself up without the taxpayers help, and with regulation this won't happen again. Also, throwing 700 billion into failed companies and then trying to tackle housing and health care isn't going to work nor should those two issues be tacked on to an already complicated bill. Health care is such a delicate issue, and while I'm without it and wishing there were a cost effective way for me to get it, I don't know if forcing American families to pay around 600 dollars in taxes every month to get health care is right. I like that Obama has health care as a top priority but it needs to be well thought out and debated heavily so it doesn't hurt Americans more than help them. It definitely should be completely isolated from a bailout bill even as a negotiation tool. Maybe, you just meant that once this is done, the average American citizen needs to be first and foremost on the priority list in DC. If that's the case, I agree with that. You make some great points about the inner-workings of it all and where both sides lie, but relief isn't going to come anytime soon if we bail them out.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #457 on: October 01, 2008, 02:33:11 PM »
I think the issue is far greater than a few bad apples, Gilly.  I won't pretend to understand all the details, but it's more about making sure that there's credit available for the economy in general to expand.  It's not like we can just let a few asshole corporations die out and the good ones will survive, and the rest of the economy will be the better for it.  It's more like, no one anywhere can get significant credit and no one can start small businesses or make large purchases (like cars and houses) and even big corporations can't finance their operations effectively.  Farmers (the family kind and the factory kind) can't buy the following year's seeds and such.  Eventually the fallout hits everybody, there are mass layoffs and senseless shortages and so on.  It won't be as bad as the Great Depression because, even through all the deregulation mania from Carter to Bush2, we still have some kind of safety net.  But it will still be pretty bad.

Believe me, I hate these corporate fucks more than anyone, but capitalism didn't exist in its current form until there was credit.  Once it ceases to become available, the economy starts to contract, and then we're screwed.  Again, I don't know how exactly it works, but it's more or less what's happened in the past.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

f. crib

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #458 on: October 02, 2008, 02:41:44 AM »
Im sorry, I have to add some humor to this thread.
Former best show fill in Sam Seder and Marc Maron have a funny live video show at Air America.  The station they were both fired from!
Lots of informative banter about the bailout and some hate for Dane Cook.

1st episode
http://blip.tv/play/AdDDa4+_JA

www.mvslive.com

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #459 on: October 02, 2008, 11:52:53 AM »
Here's some GREAT humor.  Seriously, you can't make this shit up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBt0r9Exv2I

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #460 on: October 02, 2008, 12:05:28 PM »
from the land of pleasant living

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #461 on: October 02, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »
Why did John change the name of this thread?

It's a tribute to Josh.  I don't like it as much as the original title, though.  Maybe I'll change it back.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #462 on: October 02, 2008, 04:41:53 PM »

Oh, and here's some humor:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=67077201&blogID=437317010&Mytoken=B1440D2C-7863-4

I love how Patton's missive is repeated in its entirety on five separate pages.

The new title of this thread is good, since there needs to also be a humorous politics thread. I think it should be called "Humorful politics thread." And we should make it have lots of laffs, contributed by us all and that it should show our tremendous diversity as a community of Friends of Tom members, since I mean we all do come from different states and countries and different walks of life. You know, we don't all think the same things about everything and what's great about that is that you know, we can have different ways of thinking that we can express in our humor, which should make our humor a lot more funny. It can be serious sometimes, and funny on other occasions. We definitely shouldn't be humorless all the time, we should be more humorful sometimes too. But when we talk about serious things, we can mix in humor and vice versa. Dammit, I still have to go to the store to get some stuff I forgot to get. But anyway, we should try that in the future soon.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #463 on: October 02, 2008, 05:03:19 PM »

Oh, and here's some humor:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=67077201&blogID=437317010&Mytoken=B1440D2C-7863-4

I love how Patton's missive is repeated in its entirety on five separate pages.

The new title of this thread is good, since there needs to also be a humorous politics thread. I think it should be called "Humorful politics thread." And we should make it have lots of laffs, contributed by us all and that it should show our tremendous diversity as a community of Friends of Tom members, since I mean we all do come from different states and countries and different walks of life. You know, we don't all think the same things about everything and what's great about that is that you know, we can have different ways of thinking that we can express in our humor, which should make our humor a lot more funny. It can be serious sometimes, and funny on other occasions. We definitely shouldn't be humorless all the time, we should be more humorful sometimes too. But when we talk about serious things, we can mix in humor and vice versa. Dammit, I still have to go to the store to get some stuff I forgot to get. But anyway, we should try that in the future soon.

I strongly disagree!!!

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #464 on: October 02, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »
SPOILERS FOR TONIGHT

Biden makes several sensible unplagiarised points
Palin does a gee shucks downhome ain't we just the experienced party bit + a horrendously forced/scripted putdown which goes over well; Biden attacks back, falls on face.

Papers tomorrow scrap all debate over hottest broad ever and declare Palin the thinkin', drinkin' and workin' man's bit of crumpet.
"How do they see you when there's no light?"