Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853738 times)

Gilly

• Space Champion!
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #480 on: October 04, 2008, 10:48:53 PM »
Do you think I'm voting McCain/Palin JJ? No. You don't need to convince me of anything. There was nothing sexist about what I said either, that's exactly who she is right now. I think you need to chill out.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #481 on: October 04, 2008, 11:10:04 PM »
I don't see the ruthlessness, but maybe I'm missing something.
Gilly, what I see in Palin is an especially fierce know-nothingism. A jock-like disdain for nerds who actually care about policies and facts and nuance.  We're not electing the professor in chief but that attitude scares me.

What I sense in her is the ruthlessness possessed by people with an unshakable belief in their correctness, despite mountains and mountains of evidence to the contrary. A characteristic she shares with our current president.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #482 on: October 05, 2008, 12:00:06 AM »
I can acknowledge when the more libertarian-leaning Republicans promote specific ideas I agree with (marijuana decriminalization, more open borders). I think the problem now is that those guys are way, way outweighed by the Palin types, and there are just as many if not more Democrats who also hold the same views.

Gilly, what I see in Palin is an especially fierce know-nothingism. A jock-like disdain for nerds who actually care about policies and facts and nuance.  We're not electing the professor in chief but that attitude scares me.

This sums it up for me pretty well too, yesno. In addition to agreeing with libertarian-minded Republicans, I've also supported moderate or liberal Republicans in the past, where the Democrat who was running was basically corrupt or incompetent (e.g., Marion Barry, an Ohio Attorney General whose name escapes me now). Or in instances where a Republican was really more of a competent technocrat than a conservative -- e.g. Mike Bloomberg, who was a registered Republican until earlier this year, when he registered as an independent.

The problem with Republicans for me has become their commitment to far-right ideology 24/7, disavowing the Republican moderates in their midst, and particularly the dominance of the party by social conservatives. Oh, and their efforts to make the tax structure more regressive. I can't say I'm so thrilled with Democrats all the time that I'd never support Republican candidates in the future with more moderate positions.

Don't get me started on Palin. It's already been said above in this thread anyway, and more eloquently. And there's an old Jacques Tati movie on. A perfect antedote to the humorless politics thread.

Come on, Jason

« Reply #483 on: October 05, 2008, 01:32:17 AM »
Libertarians make me angry, but that Penn Jillette is one mighty talented magician and ballroom dancer, so I'm on the fence.

Much more important to me is the fact that mutant former-moderator Jason and I have a $100 bet on this election! 

I can't wait to take his dumb bald money.

I plan to either donate my winnings to a charity of Lauries's choice, or put it towards that psychological evaluation FOTchan still wishes for me.

Either way, things are looking up! 
U-S-A!  U-S-A!

-Dorvid  (the real one, not Jason or Regular Joe posting on Fotchan under my former username.  Screw you both!)

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #484 on: October 05, 2008, 03:48:43 AM »
-Dorvid  (the real one, not Jason or Regular Joe posting on Fotchan under my former username.  Screw you both!)

I've never done that, and therefore patently reject your screwing! I do nothing but defend all of you. ALL OF YOU! If it wasn't for me and me alone, every thread on the excellent www.fotchan.com website would be a complete consensus of mutant hatred. Yet, I'll defend them too!

I say welcome back, wild-man. You never should have left!

PS: The thing I agree with most on this thread is "Palin is a walking pile of signifiers. She is not a human being", but I believe that applies to the entire ticket. McCain lost his appeal before he even began, and Palin is just the hand model paid to distract people from a lotion that when rubbed into their hands gives them the cancer.

- Joe 6-Pack

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #485 on: October 05, 2008, 06:38:53 AM »
Do you think I'm voting McCain/Palin JJ? No. You don't need to convince me of anything. There was nothing sexist about what I said either, that's exactly who she is right now. I think you need to chill out.

JJ was "ARRRGGGHH"ing because you said you don't see the ruthlessness. Some of the shit she did while rising the ranks in Alaska was pretty cutthroat, and I believe that is what he was referring to.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #486 on: October 05, 2008, 07:29:26 AM »
I don't see the ruthlessness, but maybe I'm missing something. I see her as the annoying, gossipy ladies at my church who have nothing better to do than get involved in church politics even though they're just rattling off everything their husband tells them without a mind of their own.

Say amen, somebody!

I am right there with you, Gilly. My own church has dozens of this exact woman.

How do I get my wife to be this way? All that independent thinking of hers is a real bee in my bonnet.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #487 on: October 05, 2008, 09:41:16 AM »
So men wear bonnets down there in Knoxvul? Y'all are setting some fashion trends!
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Sarah

« Reply #488 on: October 05, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »
One last (probably) comment on the VP debate:  Both candidates and the moderator all mangled the English language to the point where it was sometimes hard to figure out what the hell they were trying to say.  I don't expect spoken English to be perfect, but the speech of these three was at times garbled beyond the point of decoding.  Back when I edited bad books, I used to say I sometimes had to lay my hands on the page (yup, this was in the olden days, when one put pencil to paper to edit) and divine what the author was trying to say.  The VP debate often required similar leaps in intuition.

P.S.  Don't ask me for specific examples, because I didn't write any of them down while I was watching.  I just know I spent much of the hour and a half spluttering over the misuse of language.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #489 on: October 05, 2008, 04:10:33 PM »

I stand by what I said, but I probably didn't need to scream-type.   I apologize for that.

Sarah, --that's a good point.  At times they seemed to say, like, the opposite of what they actually meant, but everyone sort of agreed that they understood, more or less, what the other person was saying.  Should make for interesting out-of-context quotes down the line.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #490 on: October 06, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »

JJ was "ARRRGGGHH"ing because you said you don't see the ruthlessness. Some of the shit she did while rising the ranks in Alaska was pretty cutthroat, and I believe that is what he was referring to.

As a Chicago-based politician, Obama is certainly guilty of his own share of cutthroat rising in the ranks.  There's such a rich history of corruption in the state on both sides that part of me can never totally trust him.  Of course corruption is pretty much a given with politics anyways, so I don't know what I'm worried about.

All that being said, I'd rather have someone who's only had a few years to be corrupted than decades.

Sarah

« Reply #491 on: October 06, 2008, 11:30:09 AM »
Totally trusting a politician?  Is that even possible?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #492 on: October 06, 2008, 11:32:50 AM »
Possible, but not recommended.

Sarah

« Reply #493 on: October 06, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
Totally trusting a politician?  Is that even possible for anyone with a minimum of intelligence and sense?

Fixed.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #494 on: October 06, 2008, 11:58:46 AM »
Totally trusting a politician?  Is that even possible for anyone with a minimum of intelligence and sense?

Fixed.

What I meant by "trust" was the way that a lot of hardcore Obama supporters (at least the ones I know) think he's going to sweep into the White House and everything is instantly going to be fixed, when obviously it's just not that simple.