Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 854032 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #1050 on: November 05, 2008, 11:07:28 PM »
These are the counties that voted *more* for McCain than for Bush in 2004.

McCain himself is no hardcore social conservative, having called the religious right "agents of intolerance."

I wonder why, then, these areas voted for McCain at levels greater than their support for Bush.  Like Matthew Yglesias said, "You can see why John McCain’s principled stand against higher taxes on the wealthy would have a special resonance in this region. Liberals who thought race had something to do with those appeals should be ashamed of themselves."

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #1051 on: November 05, 2008, 11:46:28 PM »

aka places I don't want my car to break down in

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1052 on: November 06, 2008, 12:40:07 AM »

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1053 on: November 06, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »

AKA A lot of Hurricane country. It's sad, a part of the country that has basically been screwed by the Republicans repeatedly and then every 4 years gets whipped in a frenzy by Rove nonsense about abortion and gay marriage so they can get screwed a bit more.

Sarah

« Reply #1054 on: November 06, 2008, 09:04:12 AM »
Re Palin, I love that O'Reilly and others always said, "Oh, she can learn--she's not a dumb woman," when confronted with evidence of Palin's lack of knowledge.  The fact is if you still don't know at the age of forty-two that Africa is a continent, you're quite possibly dumb and at the least guilty of willing ignorance.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1055 on: November 06, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »

Source: newsmax.com
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

moonshake

« Reply #1056 on: November 06, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »
Joe the Plumber's not over yet.

Asked if he still plans to buy a plumbing business, as he originally stated, or to run for elected office, Joe said he could “better serve my fellow man by working with a new watchdog group I’m coming up with,” called Secure Our Dream.com, “that essentially will hold politicians accountable and make them remember that they actually got into this business to serve their fellow man, and not themselves.”
http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/joe_the_plumber/2008/11/05/148122.html

Pre-order his not-yet-written book at http://www.secureourdream.com/index.html
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1057 on: November 06, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »
Re Palin, I love that O'Reilly and others always said, "Oh, she can learn--she's not a dumb woman," when confronted with evidence of Palin's lack of knowledge.  The fact is if you still don't know at the age of forty-two that Africa is a continent, you're quite possibly dumb and at the least guilty of willing ignorance.

In all fairness, Africa isn't visible from the coast of Alaska, so that's probably why she didn't know about it.

Come on, Jason

« Reply #1058 on: November 06, 2008, 12:02:17 PM »
I bet the manager of the Johannesburg Neiman Marcus is disappointed.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1059 on: November 06, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »
I think she should start dressing up in dashikis as an act of contrition.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1060 on: November 06, 2008, 12:21:48 PM »
Or she should give birth to her next baby in Ghana.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1061 on: November 06, 2008, 12:25:42 PM »
adopting from Malawi is also quite cool.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

<<<<<

« Reply #1062 on: November 06, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »

AKA A lot of Hurricane country. It's sad, a part of the country that has basically been screwed by the Republicans repeatedly and then every 4 years gets whipped in a frenzy by Rove nonsense about abortion and gay marriage so they can get screwed a bit more.

That isn't really hurricane country so much ~ it is the heart of the Bible Belt.  I don't think it has so much to do with McCain specifically though as it does with the trends in the GOP towards batshit insane. 

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1063 on: November 06, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »
Is it wrong for me to be annoyed by the woman in the cubicle next to me shopping for "clever" anti-Bush merchandise with only 2.5 months left?  I should probably add that she's reading them all out loud and saying "that is so funny because it is so true".

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1064 on: November 06, 2008, 02:52:39 PM »

That isn't really hurricane country so much ~ it is the heart of the Bible Belt.  I don't think it has so much to do with McCain specifically though as it does with the trends in the GOP towards batshit insane. 

my reaction was, it looks like the intersection of hillbilly country and Appalachia.