Author Topic: Album Cover Pic Thread  (Read 19052 times)

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Album Cover Pic Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2008, 03:16:02 PM »
i saw this at goodwill (a treasure trove of bad records/album covers) last saturday:

I love how Benny has chosen chest hair as his undershirt. Probably as warming as a Tee. The 70's understood the concept of "manly."

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »
i saw this at goodwill (a treasure trove of bad records/album covers) last saturday:

I love how Benny has chosen chest hair as his undershirt. Probably as warming as a Tee. The 70's understood the concept of "manly."

he opted for the "pants go IN the boots" look also.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2008, 04:20:42 PM »

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2009, 07:20:35 PM »
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »
Dunno if you all have seen these already, but they're pretty awesome -- if the Wu-Tang Clan had been on Blue Note.

Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2009, 12:25:20 PM »
It's a great idea, but they could've been 10 x better executed, in my very humble (and not very Photoshop-skilled) opinion. Love Wu, love Blue Note, but something about them is just... off. I don't know.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »
I think they would look better if I spaced them out more -- they look pretty awesome on the guy's Flickr site.  I'll try that.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
Yeah, I saw them a couple of days ago on the guy's site - don't wanna sound like a grouch, but they just don't do it for me.

Spoony

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2009, 06:29:04 PM »
Are those for real?

Having worked at hip-hop labels, I can tell you that people there frequently miss the point of a form or genre, or just want to do the shorthand. Like someone who reads the jacket sleeve and assumes that he's gotten the jist of the book, the surface is enough to get by.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2009, 06:54:38 PM »
Martin: fair enough!  I like some more than others, particularly the ODB and the GZA.

Spoony: according to the guy's blog or Flickr site or wherever, he did it for fun because he thought the original covers sucked (most of them kinda do).  So no, they're not for actual records.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2009, 10:51:14 PM »
I thought that those Wu-Tang mock-ups were great. I love all of those old Blue Note album covers. These are probably my two favorite:

And they're both awesome albums, as well.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Pidgeon

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2009, 11:37:38 PM »
My grandfather used to produce local gospel bands in the late 70's, and I always love looking through his collection.

These are some of my favorites (I'll post some of his albums eventually, they're classic)

Spoony

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2009, 11:42:51 PM »
And like hip hop labels, I am quick to shoot off my mouth. Have I learned nothing in my time on this planet?!?!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2009, 12:51:29 AM »
Pour your 40 on the block for Mike Crain.  "Mourn ya till I join ya."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »
Pidgeon, did your uncle really produce those?  I've seen the last two all over the web.