Author Topic: In The Flesh  (Read 15612 times)

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
In The Flesh
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:16:01 AM »
In the flesh is a religious term. It means that one is sinning.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: In The Flesh
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 08:24:22 PM »
It's also a Pink Floyd term.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 02:00:01 PM »
It's also a Pink Floyd term.

As is "In the Flesh?"

Like 5 of the titles on The Wall are the same thing.  How lazy.

I did spend the late part of Thanksgiving night watching Pink Floyd documentaries on VH1 Classic.  I cannot recommend the Classic Albums: The Dark Side of the Moon enough.  It was a really interesting and well done documentary.  Top freaking shelf.  Seriously.

I also enjoyed "Which One's Pink?"  It was much better than "The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story."  The good news is that Roger Waters seems to have completely realized what a douchebag he had been, although David Gilmour doesn't seem to be willing to forgive him or come off his high horse.  It's funny, because it feels very much like the Diamond Dave-Eddie Van Halen feud, when it comes right down to it.

As most drummers do, Nick Mason seems like by far the one who has handled it all with the most aplomb and humor.  He's a very rich man who seems to have a pretty good view of the world and himself in it.  Good job, Nick.  And RIP Richard Wright.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

snogrog

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:18:36 PM »
Yeah I remember REALLY liking the Classic Albums on DSotM. Very well done, and very interesting stories. Of course I also saw it during a period when I was REALLY into Pink Floyd at the time and listening to a bunch of their stuff, but regardless, Dark Side of the Moon is still a good album and learning about the creative process behind it was definitely cool.
He's this soulless bastard from Siberia. I once saw him shove Fred Savage's face in a toilet.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 08:30:59 PM »
I'll have to check that out even though I'm not much of a DSoTM fan. Have you seen Live at Pompeii? That's my favorite Floyd stuff, more even than the Piper at the Gates of Dawn that you're supposed to say is your favorite if you're cool and not a chump. There's some studio footage during the DSoTM sessions in there as well, but the crazy live performances in the ancient arena are the real reason to watch.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 06:41:39 PM »
I'll have to check that out even though I'm not much of a DSoTM fan. Have you seen Live at Pompeii? That's my favorite Floyd stuff, more even than the Piper at the Gates of Dawn that you're supposed to say is your favorite if you're cool and not a chump. There's some studio footage during the DSoTM sessions in there as well, but the crazy live performances in the ancient arena is the real reason to watch.

They use a lot of that footage in the Classic Albums show. 

My favorite is "Animals," which could be cool but probably completely isn't.  I mean, 3 10-minute plus songs with an Orwellian theme?  Could Yes have done something more bloated?

The least cool thing, though, would be to say "Division Bell."  The second least cool to say is "Atom Heart Mother," which just isn't very good, with the exception of "Summer '68."  That to me would mark you as a total poseur.

When they were listing albums in the overall documentary, they completely skipped Ummagumma, More, Obscured by Clouds, the work on Zabriskie Point.  I guess those weren't "real" enough albums.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 08:24:01 PM »
More is worth a mention solely for The Nile Song, which is a good one to play for non-Floyd fans. It invariably gets the "THIS is Pink Floyd?" reaction.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:31:52 PM »

I figured it was a religious term, but why was Willie Aames saying he was so in the flesh out of anger for the camera crew who showed up at his door?

Aames is throwing me off here! Help!

Tom.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 09:45:29 AM »
Are Willie Aames and Kirk Cameron in cahoots?

"You are... a blasphemer."

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »
This blog claims that Willie was acknowledging that the anger he felt towards the Celebrity Fit Club Drill Sergeant was a sin.

Dirty Deed #1

Willie Aames has missed his target weight goal for another week and the drill sergeant pays him a surprise house call. Willie is having a bad morning and doesn’t want to deal with this for whatever reason. So the episode contains a lot of rude behavior from Willie such as door slamming, yelling, and garden-hosing of the drill sergeant, culminating in a yelling match in the “boardroom” scene. To his credit, it’s obvious that Willie knows he is “in the flesh” as he admits, but I cringed for him the whole time.

Of course, in the same post, the blog also claims that Gary Busey's "boldness and proactive orientation is a huge asset to him" and appears to go on to compare Busey to the prophet Elijah after seemingly noting that Busey may have implied that the Snapple Lady is the Antichrist, so who knows?
This may be the year I will disappear.

erechoveraker

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 02:27:28 PM »
My aunt and uncle (as do their other evangelical friends) use the term a lot, and possibly incorrectly, before I ever saw the Fit Club event too. I think it just refers to any feelings that are too earthly, vs acting in the holy spirit all the time. Any time you get too hung up on anger, money, sex, fun, awesome stuff, you're "in the flesh". They expect themselves to be above those sort of things all the time, or at least recognize when they aren't I guess - I think their basis on what is considered sinning is a lot more critical than the bible says. So Tom was at least in my experience using the phrase correctly, or in the common form rather.

This is the same aunt and uncle mind you, who cook a cake on Xmas and light candles (sadly they don't add 2K+ candles to it though) and sing happy birthday to Jesus every year too.

*SHRUG*

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 03:22:20 PM »
I might point out that "In the flesh" most commonly means "in person" or "Yep, it's me [her, him, it]."

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »

I figured it was a religious term, but why was Willie Aames saying he was so in the flesh out of anger for the camera crew who showed up at his door?

Aames is throwing me off here! Help!

Tom.

Maybe he was mad because Bibleman got caught being a slob.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 06:56:01 PM »
I might point out that "In the flesh" most commonly means "in person" or "Yep, it's me [her, him, it]."

Never thought of that use but I guess your right.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 02:53:30 AM »

Never thought of that use but I guess your right.

To take that a bit further, I always thought it was about the religious definition between spirit and body. Like, if you're living the good word, you get to float around in your magical ghost form all day, but once you let sin get the better of you, you're called back to your dirty, sinful flesh to TCOB.

I've been searching for a clip of that moment where Aames slams the door with his forearm, but no such luck! You'd think that would be out there somewhere, right?