Author Topic: The Real World Brooklyn has first transgendered member  (Read 20123 times)

Fido

• Space Champion!
Re: The Real World Brooklyn has first transgendered member
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2008, 10:12:32 PM »
TE makes a great point about intersexed people. Half of the people reading this will just roll their eyes and say to themselves, "why are they complicating this further," it's a category of people who render our rigid categories of gender pretty damn flimsy. They were born that way, and while we might be inclined to think nature might have committed a major fuckup, I don't know that that's really for us to say. Medical technology can change things for people in this group today, but it wasn't always so, and it still isn't always going to be affordable for many intersexed people. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Why not try to accept people for what they are, however they are, since in this society you're not going to be expected to have sex with ANYONE you don't want to?  Unless some crime is committed, and that's not really at issue here.

Oh, and I can't stand queer theory. I'm open to hearing about Judith Butler if someone could translate that shit into English.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2008, 10:18:41 PM »
Oh, and I can't stand queer theory.

Homophobe.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2008, 11:25:02 PM »
Can we see the Harvey Milk biopic instead of reading Judith Butler?

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2008, 01:07:48 AM »
Oh, and I can't stand queer theory.

Homophobe.

Haha, well said, Grote. (I hope not.)

I thought queer theory was supposed to help make the world a better place, but it turns out to be largely impervious to most minds. (I did go to graduate school, but it was the stoopid kind of grad school -- business school.)

I like Steve's suggestion of watching the Harvey Milk movie. I'm pretty sure I could handle that.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »
It all seems to be pretty basic to me, once one learns a little bit of jargon -- basically gender is a social construction, and a two-gendered society suits entrenched power interests, and everything goes forth from there, mostly Derrida-type stuff about the various assumptions and agendas embedded in language.  But it's funny, people really do seem to hate Judith Butler for whatever reason -- lots of playwrights and academics (two of the only professions on earth with any reason to read her) complain about how impenetrable she is. 

I am looking forward to Milk.  I hear it's neck-and-neck with The Spirit in terms of Oscar buzz!
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

cleveland jonah

• Policemans heel
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »
jeepers