Author Topic: General Movie Thread  (Read 761200 times)

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Re: General Movie Thread
« Reply #2100 on: July 06, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »
She had evolutionary advantage over him as she had no moral hangups concerning murder.

"And if history tells us anything, it is that evolution always wins."

Who loses?

I have always disliked Superman.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2101 on: July 06, 2013, 07:30:35 PM »
Who loses?

I think the scientists and teachers around the globe trying to explain evolution to comic nerds lose.

But on th issue of the movie, I think that you can kind of guess the winner of the confrontation from the title of the movie

Yup, same here...

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2102 on: July 07, 2013, 10:55:16 AM »

Superdickery.com does a pretty good job of compiling evidence that Superman is, and has ever been, a dick.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2103 on: July 07, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
Even though it's become cliche and used against him, Superman works best to my mind as the "big blue Boy Scout." I think an upstanding and not necessarily complicated hero is a great thing to have in a world saturated with dark and brooding anti-heroes. I haven't read all of it but I appreciated Grant Morrison's recent try at remaking Superman into the liberal do-gooder that Siegel and Shuster originally envisioned him as. He was the immigrant with more strength than you who can knock the block off slumlords and Hitler.

Granted, being noble and a shining beacon of hope is not exactly a great generator of stories and that's why I think Superman tends to work better in contrast to other characters like Batman.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2104 on: December 16, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »
Inside Llewyn Davis. Hoo boy. I am a rare instance of someone who doesn't expect much from the Coen brothers, so I wasn't exactly surprised by what an empty shell of a movie this is, but I at least expected it to be a fairly lively picture of a time and place. Pretty much a dud in that regard--the Greenwich Village scenes in I'm Not There were vastly more evocative. I have no idea what made the Coens think they had a movie here. They didn't have a story. They didn't have an interesting point-of-view character. It turns out that even if they did have feelings for the locale and period, they didn't have a way to put them on screen. And if they had a feeling for the best of the music that emerged from that scene, they did themselves a disservice by getting T-Bone "NPR-Ready" Burnett to orchestrate their simulacra, because the Dylan and Van Ronk songs that play over the end credits put to shame the pretty, anodyne tunelets that dominate the soundtrack. Can anyone explain to me why anyone would like this movie, or why it has a 95% score from critics on Rotten Tomatoes?--Oh, wait, I know the answer to that last one: it's because it's the Coen brothers. No other answer is possible.

(Fairness Update: The best thing about the movie is the Olds. This is one thing the Coens are pretty good at: Gnarled, hard-boiled old fucks with no time for bullshit, played by weatherbeaten old character actors. John Goodman, F. Murray Abraham, and the cranky old maritime union guys are just about the only signs of life onscreen--in fact, any of 'em would have made a more compelling central character than what we got.)
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2105 on: December 17, 2013, 01:32:41 AM »
Inside Llewyn Davis. Hoo boy. I am a rare instance of someone who doesn't expect much from the Coen brothers, so I wasn't exactly surprised by what an empty shell of a movie this is, but I at least expected it to be a fairly lively picture of a time and place. Pretty much a dud in that regard--the Greenwich Village scenes in I'm Not There were vastly more evocative. I have no idea what made the Coens think they had a movie here. They didn't have a story. They didn't have an interesting point-of-view character. It turns out that even if they did have feelings for the locale and period, they didn't have a way to put them on screen. And if they had a feeling for the best of the music that emerged from that scene, they did themselves a disservice by getting T-Bone "NPR-Ready" Burnett to orchestrate their simulacra, because the Dylan and Van Ronk songs that play over the end credits put to shame the pretty, anodyne tunelets that dominate the soundtrack. Can anyone explain to me why anyone would like this movie, or why it has a 95% score from critics on Rotten Tomatoes?--Oh, wait, I know the answer to that last one: it's because it's the Coen brothers. No other answer is possible.

(Fairness Update: The best thing about the movie is the Olds. This is one thing the Coens are pretty good at: Gnarled, hard-boiled old fucks with no time for bullshit, played by weatherbeaten old character actors. John Goodman, F. Murray Abraham, and the cranky old maritime union guys are just about the only signs of life onscreen--in fact, any of 'em would have made a more compelling central character than what we got.)

Sounds pretty good!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2106 on: December 18, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »
I'm interested in seeing Inside Llewyn Davis, but I won't do it until I can find out whether the cat dies. Seriously.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2107 on: December 18, 2013, 10:50:54 AM »
I'm interested in seeing Inside Llewyn Davis, but I won't do it until I can find out whether the cat dies. Seriously.
What if the cat dies humorously?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2108 on: December 18, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »

Dear MoS,

We all die. So far.

Your pal,

dfk

Trotskie

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2109 on: December 18, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »

J.T. 1969 (ghetto NYC) a black kid befriends a cat

I saw this in 7th grade and from that point on could not wait to discover, explore and live in NYC. And it instilled in me a life-long love and appreciation of cats.

I highly recommend that you *not* watch this movie...

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2110 on: December 18, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »

I will spoil this for you, but I don't suggest you see the movie anyway, 'cause it stinks.

SPOILER ALERT: It's kind of ambiguous. But there are a couple of brief moments that will cause cat lovers (I'm one) some pain.