Author Topic: Demetri Martin show trailer - disappointing (to me)...  (Read 8717 times)

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Demetri Martin show trailer - disappointing (to me)...
« on: January 22, 2009, 05:31:28 PM »
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6675ad1de1/comedy-central-debuts-important-things-with-demetri-martin-on-211-from-demetri-martin

Trailer for the new Demetri Martin show on Comedy Central. It's pretty disappointing if you ask me. The copy shop joke is a joke from the State. The two guys pulling into the same parking spot is the set-up from a pretty classic Seinfeld episode. It looks like it goes in a different direction, but it still seems weird to use that as a set-up when all you need is two non-fighting guys getting into a fight-type situation, which can happen anywhere.

Anyway, the show looks disappointing. Demetri Martin is really funny even though his schtick gets tiresome. Especially as it gets more twee, which is the direction the show seems to be going in.

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Demetri Martin show trailer - disappointing (to me)...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:06:29 PM »

Looks like Demetri is an FOT. Good for him.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Come on, Jason

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »
Demetri Martin doesn't make me laugh at all, though he seems like a nice enough fellow.
I'll be tuning in for H. Jon Benjamin, who can't not make me laugh, no matter how mediocre the show he's appearing on.

Come on, Jason

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »

Looks like Demetri is an FOT ripping off Tom. Good for Let's get him.

I don't really mean that, but it's fun to be unnecessarily defensive about this kind of thing.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:00:25 PM »
The best thing about Martin is that he grew up in Toms River! Which means nothing to any of you.

Not sure about the comedy.

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:14:07 AM »
Isn't Tom's River the place in Jersey with the Little League champs a while back? I'm sad/confused that I know this.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 09:55:20 AM »
Tom's River is also the town next to the town I'm from. It's like *I'm* getting my own show.

theyellowchair

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:58:15 AM »
About as one-note as one-note humor can be.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 01:23:18 PM »
''That's a nice body, You work out? I can tell.''

scratchbomb

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 01:48:25 PM »
Demetri Martin doesn't make me laugh at all, though he seems like a nice enough fellow.
I'll be tuning in for H. Jon Benjamin, who can't not make me laugh, no matter how mediocre the show he's appearing on.

For me, Jon Benjamin doesn't have to have material that's remotely funny. Him just reading a grocery list would make me crack up.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

todd

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 02:50:05 PM »
His whole cutesy art-student shtick drives me insane. There are some funny people involved in the show though.

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 02:54:41 PM »
One time I happened to be walking behind Demetri Martin on Hudson St. when Will Arnett rode up on a bicycle, popped a wheelie, and then opened his mouth so that Demetri Martin could feed him a french fry.  They were both wearing sunglasses.  Cool!

Also, Tom's River is weirdosville.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 04:05:15 PM »
Demetri Martin isn't my favorite, but I think he's a good joke writer and if you see him do an extended set, strangely you begin to his (or his onstage persona's) worldview. Which is really difficult for a one-liner comic.

Come on, Jason

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »
''That's a nice body, You work out? I can tell.''

HAHA!  I was thinking the same thing.

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 10:45:49 AM »
One time I happened to be walking behind Demetri Martin on Hudson St. when Will Arnett rode up on a bicycle, popped a wheelie, and then opened his mouth so that Demetri Martin could feed him a french fry.  They were both wearing sunglasses.  Cool!

Also, Tom's River is weirdosville.

My only question: how did Will Arnett ask? In my head, all I can think of is him with his deep voice saying something like "Feed me some fry, mophead".