Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650462 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2009, 10:08:08 AM »
I would like to know if the new Marc Maron podcast, WTF?, is any good.  I listened to 5 minutes and it didn't grab me.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2009, 12:51:06 PM »
I would like to know if the new Marc Maron podcast, WTF?, is any good.  I listened to 5 minutes and it didn't grab me.

I liked it a lot ... the anti-WholeFoods rant at the beginning was great, thoughtful and funny. And the extended interview with Jeffrey Ross was good too. Ross isn't my favorite, but he was interesting to listen to in the context of Maron's show.

Considering it's his first episode, I thought the show started out very strong.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2009, 05:00:56 PM »

I liked it a lot ... the anti-WholeFoods rant at the beginning was great, thoughtful and funny. And the extended interview with Jeffrey Ross was good too. Ross isn't my favorite, but he was interesting to listen to in the context of Maron's show.

Considering it's his first episode, I thought the show started out very strong.

I agree it was a lot better than I expected for a first time.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

MattJohnson

• Policemans heel
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2009, 06:52:20 PM »
I just listened to the latest episode of Comedy and Everything Else which featured a story by Jimmy Dore about meeting Tom Scharpling for the first time this past week. The story could only be described as awkward.

Wow. I was surprised to hear Tom's reaction, calling Dore on giving him a "Big fan" accolade, somehow knowing Dore has not heard the Best Show. Dore deserved it.

I think either Patton or PFT had recommended the Best Show to them a few months ago. I'm not the biggest Jimmy Dore fan (I really like Todd Glass, he's both genuine and really funny) sounds like he got caught in one of those socially awkward moments we all find ourselves in. Although he shouldn't have given Todd such a hard time for wanting to be liked after he pulled the same move with Tom.

I listened to Comedy and Everything Else at the beginning, and probably continued longer than I should have, long past the point where I found it unlistenable. But I listened to this episode to hear the story and just in general to see what it was like now. Imagine my disappointment upon discovering that not only is Jimmy Dore talking about how he believes 9/11 conspiracy theories—which, obviously, a person is perfectly entitled to do, even though I personally find it awful—but he even goes so far as to say that people believing the "official" story of 9/11 is the same kind of thing that let Hitler come to power (and I'm pretty sure I'm not unfairly paraphrasing that).

I wish I had just heeded Jouster and skipped right to the relevant anecdote.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2009, 07:31:01 PM »
Comedy and Everything else was kind of good, if bland, before they started talking about politics.  Those guys are just fucking stupid.  I want to change my opinion to disagree with them when any of them says anything (other than about comedy) I agree with.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2009, 01:10:47 PM »
If I can be a touch self-promoting for a moment, I would like to point out the Am I Right?? podcast, just started last week. 

You may know me from self-promotion elsewhere on the boards, but just in case you don't, CHECK IT OUT!

http://cjsw.com/programming/show_details.html?id=70#podcast

Thanks jbissel and Martin - you are all too kind!

And I would like to acknowledge fredericks, although I don't follow...

Hey, listened to your first podcast. Pretty fantastic funny stuff.

Agreed, really funny stuff. You should podcast the Tom interview.

Hey, thanks Reeleyes and woodandiron!

The Tom interview will be podcast very soon-ish... It's at the top of the list for when we start releasing "archive" interviews.

Thanks for listening, guys!

I'll third the praise.  Glad to finally have you as a podcast.

Mike A.D.

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2009, 12:22:01 AM »
If you like the You Look Nice Today podcast, there is a Seattle based show I just found (on Merlin Mann's twittermendation) that is very similar in feel, Too Beautiful To Live.

I just started really getting into Too Beautiful To Live a couple of weeks ago, and of course, it just got canceled due to low ratings.  Tonight's the last night of that radio show.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2009, 01:18:54 AM »

Patton's on the latest episode.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

MattJohnson

• Policemans heel
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2009, 02:33:56 AM »
If you like the You Look Nice Today podcast, there is a Seattle based show I just found (on Merlin Mann's twittermendation) that is very similar in feel, Too Beautiful To Live.

I just started really getting into Too Beautiful To Live a couple of weeks ago, and of course, it just got canceled due to low ratings.  Tonight's the last night of that radio show.

I was wondering if anyone would be commenting on that. I'm super sad that it's gone, but I was really thrilled that we have the technology now that enabled me to watch the live video stream of the studio for the last show. Worth staying home on a Friday night!

ChrisRawk

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2009, 08:03:24 PM »
Aside from the Best Show podcasts I'm into: I Love Movies, Comedy and Everything Else, The Adam Carolla Podcast, and Never Not Funny.  Also recently discovered Marc Maron's WTF podcast which is also great.
"Heave Ho!"

@ChrisNeri

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2009, 08:50:40 PM »
I like WTF so far. I'm not really familiar with Maron other than a clip or two and his recent appearance on The Sound of Young America. Are his standup albums worth buying?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2009, 10:16:50 AM »
Maron is of the neurotic style of stand up that Richard Lewis is famous for but with a lot more energy and a much younger, drug induced outlook. I think it's great but it's not for everyone.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

sleepytako

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2009, 08:27:48 PM »
Five Tacos And A Taco ain't too bad. I grabbed it on a whim and totally liked it. These guys aren't pros, but they keep the show tight, well paced, and I really laugh out loud in public when listening to it on occasion.

I Love Movies. I don't watch that many movies and I still like this show--If Doug has the right guests. Bad guests and it's bleh. For example, the Tom Arnold episode. That was some of the worst junk ever. Not funny and rather misogynistic. However, the latest episode with Sarah Sliverman and that other guy was great.

Comedy Death Ray. Very, very good. Makes me wish I lived in the US so I could go to the UCB-west.

Comedy and Everything Else has a few funny parts but could be a lot better. I don't mind their political stuff, but I'd rather get it from Dan Carlin. The show is  way too long and disorderly. Listening to it seems to make everything in my life go slower. I end up with a strange sleepy comedy limbo feeling. If that makes sense.

The History of Rome is great. I wish I knew of this before.

NJL

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2009, 08:52:38 PM »
CUNY Lecture Series- Lotsa interestic speeches here.
WPRB Princeton's (and the man behind MY Pal God Records, Tom knows who he is and he has called into TBS before) Jon Solomon used to have a great podcast called Local Support, but I don't think it's being updated anymore.
I tried following Planet Money, but couldn't stand the people behind it.

And sometimes I like to use the iTunes univesrity, you can get some intersting lectures from Stanford, Berkeley, etc.
Just now I was also been listening to the "White House Tapes" series from American Public Media, covering JFK, LBJ and Nixon.

icepants

• Policemans heel
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2009, 11:50:18 PM »
Wiretap now has an official podcast on itunes.  So go check it out.  For those that aren't sure what it will be like imagine if the best show collided with this american life.  That should give you a rough idea.