Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650583 times)

mnordine

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #930 on: November 11, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »
Common Sense with Dan Carlin
Star Talk with Neil Degrasse Tyson and sometimes Bill Nye

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #931 on: November 13, 2014, 01:01:12 AM »
Wireless Nights with Jarvis Cocker

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #932 on: December 13, 2014, 12:45:40 AM »
Is this Serial podcast really that great? I listened to the first episode back when This American Life ran it and thought it was just OK.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #933 on: December 13, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »
The first 5-6 episodes were pretty fascinating, with several revelations that the original evidence against this guy was bogus.
Unfortunately, after that Koenig seemed to run out of new info., and it went from a "whodunnit" to a "justice is fascinating in general, amiright people?!" kind of thing.

immattryan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #934 on: December 13, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »
Don't mean to be that guy... But on my podcast last night I interviewed Tom about the revival of the Best SHow, as well as talking Football and Basketball. It is usually a football show. Hope you guys get a chance to listen, was great to have a chance to talk to Tom and spend a little time to learn more about the show!
http://goo.gl/o491yB

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #935 on: December 13, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »
Movie fans...

I've been listening to http://youmustrememberthispodcast.com/ -
The secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood's first century.

She tells an interesting tale very well.  If you have to listen to one episode, make it "Frank Sinatra in Outer Space"
a 40 minute song cycle about life, love, death and visiting outer space (“The Future”). We’ll take a look at how and why “The Future” was made, and theorize as to why it’s fallen into the dustbin of pop cultural history. 

Her blog is interesting too, nice photos and makes you wanna read her source materials.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #936 on: December 13, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »
Movie fans...

I've been listening to http://youmustrememberthispodcast.com/ -
The secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood's first century.

She tells an interesting tale very well.  If you have to listen to one episode, make it "Frank Sinatra in Outer Space"
a 40 minute song cycle about life, love, death and visiting outer space (“The Future”). We’ll take a look at how and why “The Future” was made, and theorize as to why it’s fallen into the dustbin of pop cultural history. 

Her blog is interesting too, nice photos and makes you wanna read her source materials.

That's Karina Longworth, she's a really great movie critic too.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #937 on: December 15, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »
Don't mean to be that guy... But on my podcast last night I interviewed Tom about the revival of the Best SHow, as well as talking Football and Basketball. It is usually a football show. Hope you guys get a chance to listen, was great to have a chance to talk to Tom and spend a little time to learn more about the show!
http://goo.gl/o491yB

That was great! I wish you guys would have talked about Ron and Fez instead of O/A though. Tom has mentioned on here before that he likes Ron Bennington, I just wonder if Tom is on their radar.

immattryan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #938 on: December 15, 2014, 10:34:53 PM »
Thanks a lot! I didn't know his feelings on R&F, other wise I'd have brought it up. Thank you again for listening, I really appreciate it.

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #939 on: January 09, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »
The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project is incredibly funny. The only episode I didn't enjoy (or make it through) was "Shut Up and Have Fun."

That was the only one I liked.
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #940 on: January 09, 2015, 01:37:48 PM »
The first 5-6 episodes were pretty fascinating, with several revelations that the original evidence against this guy was bogus.
Unfortunately, after that Koenig seemed to run out of new info., and it went from a "whodunnit" to a "justice is fascinating in general, amiright people?!" kind of thing.

Yeah, it definitely loses steam and  (SPOILER..... ) becomes pretty clear (at least to me) that the dude in jail is most likely guilty.
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #941 on: January 09, 2015, 09:25:09 PM »
Guilty pleasure but I like Generation Why? which is true crime, conspiracy theory, etc

ndmvhc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #942 on: January 11, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »
U Talkin' U2 to Me? - I dislike U2's music. But, this show is not really about U2's music. I find it hilarious.

lastplaneout

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #943 on: February 21, 2015, 11:30:53 AM »
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men

http://www.rachelandmiles.com/xmen/

As a grown-up who has recently come back to comic books, this podcast is absolute joy. Rachel and Miles start from the beginning in 1963 and read forward through all of X-Men history. It's all delivered in a hyper-specific, irreverent, and critical style that totally fits in between episodes of The Best Show, How Was Your Week, and Judge John Hodgman. It also avoids so many of nerd/geek podcast tropes that drive me crazy.

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #944 on: February 23, 2015, 01:31:57 AM »
Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men

I can't second this enough. If you ever had even a passing interest in the X-Men, but never knew where to start, this one is right up your street. They recently did an episode about my favorite mutant, Legion, and it was everything I could have ever wanted.

I'll also toss out Spektromodule, which is Warren Ellis' semi-regular ambient music podcast. DECOMPRESSED by Kieron Gillen, where he interviews comic creators about a specific work that they have done. FOT Matt Fraction is on two episodes discussing the Marvel Method of scripting and an issue of his highly underrated Defenders run. This one his also semi-regular, but has at least a dozen episodes to pour over for a bit.

The Canon is also really great. It is Devin Faraci from Badass Digest and Amy Nicholson from the LA Weekly and they discuss certain movies and if they should be included in the Canon of films. Much like On Cinema. Also, just in keeping with the movie theme, I really, really love The Badass Digest Podcast (aka the Badass Digest Padcast Podcast), which is basically the Best Show of movies. Evan Saathoff and Phil Noble, Jr, two writers for Badass Digest, talk about a major release of the week and then go on tangents about other movies that they happened to watch during the week. Sometimes they have running themes, like last month was Dad Movies, which included the Taken movies, A Walk Among the Tombstones, and the remake of the Equalizer.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!