Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650384 times)

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #975 on: April 09, 2015, 06:54:31 PM »
just went to subscribe to The Dollop (sounds like a winner) and found out that there is a new Paul F Tompkins podcast!!!

this may be old news to some of you (and Best Show was on the list of 'Listeners Also Subscribed To') but I did a search on the board here for the title and nothing came up. So:

Its called 'Spontaneanation with Paul F Tompkins'. It says its completely improvised long-form comedy with Paul and guests.

Haven't listened yet, but it sounds like a real treat. Have been hoping PFT would start something new  since the Pod F Tompkast became defunct. YAY!

Edit: its actually called 'SPONTANEANATION with Paul F Tompkins'. my bad. i messed up.

the first episode was really funny, the second was not as good in my opinion, it's an interesting idea if a bit over stuffed. He's trying to do like 4 different things  but I think if it finds the right balance it'll be really funny. He still does the monologues at the beginning, like the Pod F Tompkast which are amazing, he could drop the interview segment entirely and I think the show would be better for it and the improv part will be great if he keeps having the type guests he's had so far and if he reigns in some of his scene hogging tendencies. all in all, a good listen.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Dip Apesworth

• Policemans heel
« Reply #976 on: April 10, 2015, 04:46:42 AM »
Do you guys think there is any chance for a reconciliation between Paul and Tom at some point?
chi-koo

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #977 on: April 11, 2015, 02:35:45 PM »
Do you guys think there is any chance for a reconciliation between Paul and Tom at some point?

I'd say it's all but impossible for us to say since most of us don't know either one personally nor do we know the root of their problems.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #978 on: April 12, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »
Matt Gourley's "I was there too" about the behind-the-scenes stories of making movies with actors in small parts in said movies as guests.  Matt Gourley is The Gentleman of LA Podcastland

Not my business.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #979 on: April 12, 2015, 11:24:29 AM »
Matt Gourley's "I was there too" about the behind-the-scenes stories of making movies with actors in small parts in said movies as guests.  Matt Gourley is The Gentleman of LA Podcastland

I Was There Too is great, I thought Paul Sheer was going to recommend that one when he as talking about Wolfpop. I don't know why he said the Maltin one, that thing is a snooze.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #980 on: April 16, 2015, 12:13:42 PM »
I've been binging on The Dollop over the past few days.  I've still got quite a few to catch up on, but some of my favorites so far are The Tank Chase, Ten Cent Beer Night and Oofty Goofty.

me too super funny
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #981 on: April 23, 2015, 05:33:24 AM »
What about Bennington? Fez retired the week of April Fools and nobody knew if it was a bit or not, so now Ron has a new show he's doing with his younger daughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM1I__qyQ_w

gogojuice

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #982 on: April 28, 2015, 08:02:19 PM »
I recommend the shocking true-life Episodes 10 & 13 from comedian Doug Stanhope - the so-called Cliffhanger series.

If you're not familiar with Stanhope's bleak and disturbing frank language about life and death ala "Beer Hall Putsch" and free-running vulgarities you may not last long, but believe me, these two episodes document awful true-life events surrounding his life as they are happening and I promise it will blow your mind.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #983 on: May 02, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »
I'll second Tom's recommendation of Gilbert Gottfried's podcast. I genuinely love his ridiculous assortment of guests ranging from Mickey Dolenz to Lewis Black to Bill Mumy to Larry Storch to Alan Thicke. If you can stomach Gilbert's voice (which he does tone down a little) it's great.

Crusherkc

« Reply #984 on: May 03, 2015, 11:38:21 PM »
I'll second Tom's recommendation of Gilbert Gottfried's podcast. I genuinely love his ridiculous assortment of guests ranging from Mickey Dolenz to Lewis Black to Bill Mumy to Larry Storch to Alan Thicke. If you can stomach Gilbert's voice (which he does tone down a little) it's great.

I love the territory his podcast covers- pre 80s movies and tv and old forgotten comedians.  A good show to get yr raconteur on.  The voice of Afflack is tough to take at times but he has an even-keeled co-host and it's funny when GG (hehehe) does what Wally Wackiman did during 'The Feltdown': "you're losing the voice"  I've listened to all the mini-sodes about specific movies plus the Adam West, Dan Harmon, Drew Friedman, Scott Alexander/Larry Karaszewski (writers of 'Problem Child', 'Ed Wood', 'Big Eyes), Dick Cavett interviews so far and am really digging it.   
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

knifetrash

• Policemans heel
« Reply #985 on: May 05, 2015, 04:25:16 PM »

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #986 on: May 06, 2015, 05:50:28 PM »
Thanks for the Gottfried podcast recommend. Just listened to the Penn Jillette and Weird Al Yankovic eps, which were both great for different reasons.

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #987 on: May 07, 2015, 09:55:16 AM »
After a handful of episodes, we can all admit that Paul F. Tompkins' Earwolf podcast is a huge letdown, right? The celeb interviews are fine, but the long-form improv segment has died a death on almost every episode. Especially the episodes with Amanda Lunda, who really has a gift for stopping any forward momentum in a scene.

neckwrestler

• Policemans heel
« Reply #988 on: May 08, 2015, 10:09:12 PM »
After a handful of episodes, we can all admit that Paul F. Tompkins' Earwolf podcast is a huge letdown, right? The celeb interviews are fine, but the long-form improv segment has died a death on almost every episode. Especially the episodes with Amanda Lunda, who really has a gift for stopping any forward momentum in a scene.
Agreed.  Two episodes was all it really took for me to unsubscribe.

Crusherkc

« Reply #989 on: May 09, 2015, 09:13:27 PM »
I've gone through all the Gilbert Gottfried Amazing Colossal Podcasts that I'm willing to listen to: skipping Penn Jillett, Bob Zmuda, Danny Bonaduce, and Marty Allen (b/c he's just been on WTF) and am sad there aren't more. 

I like his bingo card categories -- did he mention the Paul Lynde joke? the Danny Thomas incident? Milton Berle vs Forrest Tucker? playing 'who's a Jew'? Lon Chaney Jr. in 'Of Mice And Men'? 'The Ghost of Frankenstein'? How anti-semetic Paul Lynde is? and how anti-semitic high-pitched voice Patton is? his impression of Old Groucho? 

My favorite episodes are Drew Friedman, Scott Alexander/Larry Karaszewski, Susie Essman, Billy West, Butch Patrick, Dave Atell and special mentions for batship nutso guests Gianni Russo (the guy who James Caan beats up in The Godfather who claims to be a real mob guy and had sex with Marilyn Monroe) and Danny Aiello (wonder why the jobs aren't rolling in for him?)

For the older guests he tones down the Afflack voice and the celebrity roast jokes which is endearing.  GG flames out on the show with Steve Buscemi which is regrettable b/c I never hear SB interviewed.