Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650511 times)

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #1020 on: August 23, 2015, 05:04:42 PM »
HOLLYWOOD HANDBOOK has won me over with the Julie Klausner and two Scharpling episodes. Both times the guests sound completely exasperated dealing with the idiocy.

People don't believe me when I recommend it, but the Sinbad episode is among the best. And not in the Pauley Shore way, where he had no idea what was going on.

With Sinbad, he catches on about 10 minutes in and really plays along in a delightful way.

agent_jimmy

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1021 on: August 24, 2015, 01:13:14 PM »
HOLLYWOOD HANDBOOK has won me over with the Julie Klausner and two Scharpling episodes. Both times the guests sound completely exasperated dealing with the idiocy.

wait, they do that every episode?!?!

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1022 on: August 26, 2015, 12:06:13 PM »
Their ads are equally stupid and somehow inspired. The one I remember is like "Casper mattresses -- when you're going to be felt up by a horny ghost at night!"

Sometimes it seems like they are breaking (one of them makes like a muffled laugh/cackle noise into the mic often), but their commitment somehow doesn't waver.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1023 on: August 27, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
Their ads are equally stupid and somehow inspired. The one I remember is like "Casper mattresses -- when you're going to be felt up by a horny guest at night!"

Sometimes it seems like they are breaking (one of them makes like a muffled laugh/cackle noise into the mic often), but their commitment somehow doesn't waver.

The Jake Foglenest one is amazing.
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1024 on: September 24, 2015, 11:23:34 PM »
whats everyone listening to?

I love Doughboys.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1025 on: September 25, 2015, 02:46:26 AM »
Dr. Gameshow on WFMU is really fun.

The most recent episode had Tom on and is worth a listen.

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1026 on: October 07, 2015, 07:19:55 PM »
I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but my brother just turned me on to You Must Remember This: "The secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood's first century."

I've JUST started listening to it, and so far it's not quite NPR production quality, but the subject matter is exactly the kind of stuff I can't get enough of. The Gilbert Gottfried show is still the closest to my ideal podcast for its balance of entertainment history with humor, but You Must Remember This is so far showing real golden era Hollywood deep-diving promise.

Also, I just have to mention what is probably the worst podcast I've ever heard. It's so bad I'm fascinated with it to the point that I wonder if it is actually some kind of long-con prank. It's called "True Murder: The Most Shocking Killers in True Crime History and the Authors that Have Written About Them" and it's hosted by this Dan Zupansky character who has seemingly no presence on the internet except for this podcast. The show is a long-form interview with various true crime authors, and generally runs from 1-2 hours.

But I'm not exaggerating here: The show literally sounds like it was produced by placing a cassette recorder near the speaker of an AM radio. The quality is so poor that half the reviews on iTunes are from people who couldn't stand to listen to more than a few minutes of it. But audio quality is only half of the problem: The host, Dan, is laughably inept. He stumbles when reading introductions, he asks dumb questions, and he tries way too hard to lead his guests down some predetermined interview path rather than letting the conversation flow naturally. These are things you'd expect a rookie to do, but this guy's done like 230 of these things, and it's still just as bad in every way. It's unlistenable in nearly every way, but it feels like it could be so bad its intentional? But to what end?

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1027 on: October 07, 2015, 08:31:11 PM »
The run about Manson on You Must Remember This was really good, especially the episode about Dennis Wilson.  Also led me to the album Pacific Ocean Blue, which I've had on steady rotation for a couple months now.

Wampus

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1028 on: October 29, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »
I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but my brother just turned me on to You Must Remember This: "The secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood's first century."

I've JUST started listening to it, and so far it's not quite NPR production quality, but the subject matter is exactly the kind of stuff I can't get enough of.

I enjoy the level of research on it, especially the Manson pieces, but the host has one quirk that drives me nuts for no tangible reason. Every time she says "Join us, won't you?" in the intro I groan. It's just contrived.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1029 on: October 29, 2015, 05:17:32 PM »
If you like prank phone calls, Brad Carter (the guy who gave us Phone Losers of America) runs a podcast called The Snow Plow Show where he calls anybody he can get a phone number and a small smidge of personal info on, when he isn't dialing 7-11s to see if he can get them to turn off their circuit-breakers, or telling apartment complex managers that he took up the carpet in 27B and is gluing pennies to the floor. I was a real fan of his previous Phone Show because it was more of a group effort with Spessa, Roxy, Linear, that drunken lunatic "Laugh Track Matt" Hillock, Rappy McRapperson, John Legend, etc. Unfortunately that show is now part of a free 61 gigabyte "media pack" you can get here.

The infamous 2010 Angry Old Man show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRHW9L3hZEw

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1030 on: October 31, 2015, 05:43:33 PM »

I've JUST started listening to it, and so far it's not quite NPR production quality, but the subject matter is exactly the kind of stuff I can't get enough of.

I enjoy the level of research on it, especially the Manson pieces, but the host has one quirk that drives me nuts for no tangible reason. Every time she says "Join us, won't you?" in the intro I groan. It's just contrived.

That doesn't bother me so much. What bugs me is when she tries to do kooky accents while reading quotes. The Barbra Streisand impression was like an anti-Semitic stereotype.

That said, the podcast overall is fascinating.

peter falk

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1031 on: November 01, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »

That doesn't bother me so much. What bugs me is when she tries to do kooky accents while reading quotes. The Barbra Streisand impression was like an anti-Semitic stereotype.

That said, the podcast overall is fascinating.

This is exactly my problem with the Last Podcast on the Left.  Really fascinating subject matter but obnoxious hosts who occasionally devolve into Carolla-level offensiveness...

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1032 on: November 02, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »
Dr. Gameshow on WFMU is really fun.

The most recent episode had Tom on and is worth a listen.

My son won a round of that. Callers had to come up with a cereal name given a list of ingredients. One had bran and bananas in it. My son won with "Branana."
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

dave in the yard

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1033 on: November 03, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »
the most recent todd barry podcast had pete holmes.  i only knew about pete holmes from best show collages, really, and then i listened to his harris wittels episode.  best show fans will appreciate how much he sucks in this interview, and how clear it is that todd is not into him at all.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1034 on: November 04, 2015, 12:53:09 PM »
EYES ON THE PRIZE!

I don't know how to onomatopoeia that fudging sound. It sounds like a pig who has just won the lottery.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!