Author Topic: KISS: An Album-by-Album Critical Reevaluation  (Read 136026 times)

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Paul Stanley Stage Banter Contest, Part One
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 02:23:19 PM »
On the contrary, that was an excellent entry and you are currently in the lead. Unfortunately, while there was going to be a series of incredibly fantastic prizes, asking whether there were prizes involved has tainted the whole thing and the prize closet has been closed and locked, so now you're only competing for the satisfaction of a job well done and the admiration of your peers.
This may be the year I will disappear.

nec13

• Space Champion!
Re: KISS: An Album-by-Album Critical Reevaluation
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 02:37:41 PM »
It would be nice to win the admiration of my peers. Although, a t-shirt would have been nice, as well.

Anyway, I hope I win.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 02:39:58 PM »
Scenario 1: During the Destroyer Tour, KISS plays a show in Greensboro, NC the day after the the Susan B. Anthony Dollar is introduced in the United States.

PEOPLE!  People.  Applause.  LISTEN.  I was talkin' to somebody back stage befowah.  ... PEET-AH CRISS, people!  Spanish-inflected drums.  NOW, people.  Now.  Peet-ah was tellin' me about the NEW DOLLAH THAT'S OUT ON THE MAW-KET!  Crowd quiets - confusion.  YAY-EHH.  Theahs a new dollah out on the market, people.  It's fow-ah... I said IT'S FOW-AH... Pause.  SU-ZIN B. ANTHONY PEOPLE!  Yay-eh!  Now, Gene and I have met LOTS OF LADIES ON THIS TOW-AH, people!  Scattered screams.  And I just wanna tell yawl somethin'!  

People are always putting down Ms. Anthony as frumpy, or as a hypocrite based on her beliefs about issues other than women's suffrage.  I think that is likely a misreading of her character.  More importantly, I think it's a desperate attempt to tear down a feminist icon by applying the standards of today to a person who lived in another time.  That's inherently unfair.

ANYWAY.  WHOOOOOOH.  OH YEEAAAAAAAH!  They say she's UGLY, PEOPLE.  I just wanna tell yawl that ALL of the ladies of the world are BEAUTIFUL.  And ALL the ladies are ESPECIALLY BEAUTIFUL in the eyes of KISS.  Cheering.  SO ALL YOU SUSAN B. ANTHONY DOWNAHS can FUCK OFF!  WHOOOOOOH!   COLD GIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2009, 02:45:59 PM »
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wes

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2009, 03:50:34 PM »
An amazing entry, buffcoat, but I can't help but think that would have been the perfect time to go into She instead of Cold Gin. As such, I'm not ready to declare who has the lead in the contest at this point.

This means the field is wide open, so I hope everyone is still working on entries, as I've spent most of my afternoon coming up with additional scenarios for later rounds, including a hostage situation, an historic moment in recent US history and a scenario involving KISS winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

Oh, and doing work. I've also spent the afternoon doing work.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »
I have to say that buffcoat is in the lead right now. He obviously put a lot of time and effort into that. I, on the other hand, wrote my entry in about 10 minutes.

SU-ZIN B. ANTHONY!  ;D

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2009, 04:05:16 PM »
An amazing entry, buffcoat, but I can't help but think that would have been the perfect time to go into She instead of Cold Gin. As such, I'm not ready to declare who has the lead in the contest at this point.

This means the field is wide open, so I hope everyone is still working on entries, as I've spent most of my afternoon coming up with additional scenarios for later rounds, including a hostage situation, an historic moment in recent US history and a scenario involving KISS winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

Oh, and doing work. I've also spent the afternoon doing work.

I was going for a non-sequitur.  But I accept the comment.

And, TRG, one of my only talents is writing fast.  Beginning to end less than 10 minutes.  Those album reviews take about 25-30.  

I understand you will doubt, so you are invited to come to my office with a stopwatch.

I thought your entry was good.  Paul is a swaggerin' man, but he will always stand up for the police, America and apple pie!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »
On that note, I am also open to comments about the reviews.  Do you think "Strutter" is pure garbage?  That Peter Criss could drum Eric Carr into an even smaller body?  I welcome your comments and challenges.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2009, 04:09:52 PM »
There are no losers in this contest. We are all winners.

Who am I kidding? I'm just saying that to feel better about myself.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2009, 10:11:26 AM »
Wes, is "God Gave Rock and Roll to You II" really your favorite KISS song?  And is the Elder really your favorite KISS album?

Julie

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2009, 01:10:04 PM »
When will you get to Beth, the only song by that band I know?
I have a long history of booing

Wes

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2009, 02:53:02 PM »
Wes, is "God Gave Rock and Roll to You II" really your favorite KISS song?  And is the Elder really your favorite KISS album?

I don't know if I'd say favorite, and I'd definitely not say their best song. It can't be, after all, since it doesn't have Ace on it. But I do think it's the most KISS song, if that makes any sense. It kind of encapsulates everything enjoyable about KISS, from the way you can tell they really love straight ahead old-time rock music to the awesome, majestic goofiness that is the band's true legacy.

But anyway, it's got everything you could ever want in a KISS song that doesn't involve Ace getting electrocuted or Peter drowning: outsized guitars, Paul singing like Paul, Gene getting a token line, lyrics about the magical powers of rock 'n roll and that bit where it gets really quiet and Paul starts whispering the chorus of the song like rock has been destroyed, but then the whole band comes back in and the universe is saved by the mystical magic of KISS music, as used to best effect in the end credits of Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

And my god, that spoken word section at the end, where Paul says "I KNOOOOW sometimes life can get tough! And I KNOW life can sometimes be a draaaag! But we have been given a GIFT, we have been given a ROAD, and that road is...RooooOOOOOOoooock and RooooooOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOLLLL!" If that's not the most defining KISS moment, I don't know what is.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He6t9JkDUMY[/youtube]

"Actually, I'm a plumber." Ace Frehley sounds like one of those guys that calls up WFAN all the time.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2009, 05:08:40 PM »
Good lord.  I've never watched that clip all the way through.  That's quite a laugh, Mr. Frehley.

I'm torn over the next record.  It isn't going to be Hotter than Hell, but "Goin' Blind" is one of their best songs.  So let me say that here.  Hotter than Hell, though, sounds like it was recorded in the crawlspace BENEATH the phone booth where they recorded the other albums.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Meanwhile, the lyrics from "Rip and Destroy," the version of "Hotter than Hell" that appears in KISS Meets the Phantom.

[Verse]
It's time for everyone to listen good
We've taken all we can stand
You've got the power to rip down these walls
It's in the palm of your hand

[Chorus]
Rip, rip, rip and destroy
You know the hour's getting late
Rip, rip, rip and destroy
Break it down and seal your fate (whoa)

[Solo]
[Verse]
[Chorus] X2
[Verse]
[Chorus] X2