Author Topic: "I had so much fun last night!" thread  (Read 31053 times)

mattaukamp

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: "I had so much fun last night!" thread
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 04:30:09 PM »
Totally great time. I don't know many other FOTs, as I'm largely a silent listener, but it was nice meeting a bunch of you. Thanks to everyone who put that together, it was awesome.

Favorite part... when people NOT FOT-Related would come in and get completely confused and weirded out by what was going on and then quickly leave... or stand around making fun of everyone. That was great.

FrankFromWeehawken

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 05:42:13 PM »
sitting by the fence on top of Iron Monkey, I enjoyed watching at least 4 people call into the show from that little tiled walkway right across the street from the entrance to the bar (I think it was off of York St).

DanFromBrooklyn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 05:50:27 PM »
I don't know about you guys but among the countless high points of the evening I actually bore witness to Frank From Weehawken being shushed by Dan From Brooklyn during Ted Leo...  I'm not positive but I think Dan actually complained to the manager and then asked for his money back even though it was a free event. Some people, right?

Frank himself said to me that we'd be friends forever earlier in the night, and if your forever friend can't shush you, who can?

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 06:24:07 PM »
It was such a great night! Awesome meeting everyone - you guys rule!!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »
I had a terrific time and every single person I met was great. I didn't get to meet everyone (I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you, Emily!), but I guess that's what next time is for. It was totally worth the 9 hour drive to get there.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Kim Kelly

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »
Oh, is this the thread where you rub it in the Sadsacks' faces and make them cry?
Too soon?

AndrewVDill

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »
Hey, nobody's making you read it.  But yeah, pretty much.  Sorry, guys.
You'll like it in hell; it's a lot like New Jersey.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »
the sadsacks made do in the chat and there are no regrets.  im sure Tom and Co. are VERY busy with their schedules (an understatement), hence, the two week notice.  everyone looks like they had a great time and im bitter about missing out on the phenomenal meet and greet more than missing the actual party.  

im already saving for next time so i can go at the drop of a hat.  plan ahead, sadsacks!  youve been warned.  

AlizaEss

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »
I don't come on the forum much but wanted to say hi to all you wonderful folks! Took the FOTalo express down (thanks @senorcorazon!), shook hands with Mike, drank some beers, was starstruck by all the *famous callers* I met, tried to explain Tastey Kakes to a giant Swede, and said hi to Ted Leo on the stairs!

Oh yeah, and this guy named Blob and someone from Philadelphia were there on a mike or something. That part was boring.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »
This was a blast.  I still cannot believe how many people turned out. We will have to have this thing in an arena one year. Thanks everyone.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »
I had a blast.  I left NC at 4:25, met my Dial7 driver at LaGuardia, caught the PATH train and arrived for Pizza with Mike right at 7:15.  Contrary to broadcast reports, the group there wasn’t ghoulish in the least.  Although I have to say that the pizza wasn’t the best NY Style I’ve ever had.  It is true that Mike was holding court, but he had earned it.

At my table were the very kind and interesting Lisa Jane Persky and her husband Andy, the fellow long-distance traveler MasterofSparks, and the aptly monikered AndrewVDill.  Jess and Peter from the Shamblers were there, along several with other FOTs.

In addition to those worthies, I spent a good amount of time talking to several FOTs from different places, including ChrisL (the zinger chat one, not the, uh, other one).  There was a lot of Scharpling and Wurster nerdery in these conversations, lemme tell you.  But then there were about 100 people singing along word for word on Rock and Roll Dreams’ll come through, so it was that kind of crowd.

Also talked a good bit with the very talented playwright Jason Grote and the very talented multimedia artist KicktheBobo.  And I met (the I’m sure talented in their own rights)
Auntie Christina, cutout, methanolcereal, GoreMarie ericluxury, and Officer Tom among others.

Hats off Jason and his ladyfriend Christina C. who arranged this whole thing and painted the awesome life-size “Oboy” painting of Tom (respectively).  Terre T was also very gracious and was coordinating up a storm the whole time.

I complimented this guy named Brett on his Petey 4.0 call without even knowing that he was also the famous MC Steinberg.

Several of us went and got coffee at what can charitably called a Jersey City dive afterward.  Big thanks to the previously unknown Ben from Nashua who bought us all coffee and diner food.

I owe a special thanks to Neil Numberman and Nick for helping me negotiate cab fare back to LaGuardia – the FOT evening ended for me with Neil and Nick screaming “don’t mess with this guy, he REALLY knows the city” at my cab driver, who could not have cared less but got me there at the negotiated price anyway.  Thanks, guys!

I was sitting within about a foot of the stage the whole time (the back of my head is in several of the pictures HaroldBlvd posted).  Great show, very funny and genuine.  Great crowd.

It would definitely be unfair to leave out what a genuinely interesting, interested and nice guy Ted Leo is, in addition to playing a blistering guitar.  I became aware of TLRx through the Best Show, which is great.  I haven’t met many well-known people, but it would be hard to imagine a more grounded and decent individual who also can be recognized on the street as somebody famous.  Class act all the way.

The only real disappointment of the night is that I didn’t get to meet John Hodgman in person.

Of course, shaking Tom and Jon’s hands was great.  They seemed genuinely gratified that their little radio prank 12 years ago had blossomed into this really cool thing that could pack a 3rd floor deck in Jersey City with rabid fans.

People I saw or heard were there but didn’t get to talk to include: senorcorazon, JonfromMaplewood, Kittykittymeowmixhead, Ughwhy, haroldblvd, theyellowchair, keithwhitener (I think he was there under a different name), frankfromweehawken, scratchbomb, Spoony,  Zookeeper Joe, Patrick Chew, Brian from Brooklyn, Ben K., Kid Pain, gravy boat and Emily.  And I assume Wes was somewhere hiding in the corner.

Maybe next time, folks!

Apologies to anyone I spent time with but have left out – PM me and I will add you in!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 06:23:45 PM »
Now that's a recap!

AndrewVDill

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 10:26:43 AM »
I would like to state, for the record, that I only unwittingly helped Officer Tom steal Purple Shirt's jacket. 
You'll like it in hell; it's a lot like New Jersey.

kittykittymeowmixhead

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 01:31:18 PM »
Officer Tom was one of the first FOTs I talked to, he's just so outgoing and friendly! It was pretty adorable how 'the underling' responded to being introduced as such, with the appropriate teenage eye roll. I asked him if he was Larry the Perv. He explained that people in NJ have accents, haha. All the FOTs I met and talked to were awesome. Terre T was the hostess with the mostest. Pizza with Mike ruled.

I know it's been mentioned that there was a random dude from Sweden in attendance, who just got caught up in the excitement and went with it. I knew when he walked in he couldn't possibly be a FOT, wearing a (pink?) A&F polo, collar up. But by the end of the night the guy was standing on the bar taking pictures of the show, and swearing to find Martin and join forces with him in Sweden. He was also creepy and touchy-feely, but hey.

Met some fellow Astorians (and suggested an Astoria listening party one of these days). I tried to convince non forumers to join and post, but I stopped when the image of Julie from Cincinnati bullying people to buy Ted Leo merch popped into my head.

Most importantly I resisted making fan art for Tom (I'm creepy enough as it is), and didn't faint when an arm's length from Jon Wurster.

THANK YOU TOM & ALL!!! When's the next one??

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 01:38:04 PM »
I said hi to Tom and shook his hand, but I didn't approach Jon. He just seemed so shy and nervous that I didn't want to make it any worse for him.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.