Author Topic: LOST season 6  (Read 23340 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: LOST season 6
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2010, 11:23:29 PM »
I don't think necessarily we wanted the instructional reel guy to come out and explain things to us, but it wouldn't have killed them to have thrown us one or two 'oh, so that's what that was' bones.

In the second-to-last episode they made the man in black more ambiguous; he wasn't necessarily evil but definitely was curious and skeptical of superstition, and Jacob was kind of a momma's boy then boom, MiB is pure evil again. So in a way we end up with that 'there are questions you shouldn't ask and places you shouldn't go' anti-science message found in various sci-fi/fantasy and Bible stories over the years. 'Shut up, kid, you ask too many questions. I'm gonna turn you into a smoke monster now. How do you like that?'

All that said I mostly just went along for the ride with that show. It was entertaining enough. I like watching David Lynch's films, and they aren't exactly full of neatly tied up logical elements.

Sarah

« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »
Oh, it's just some hokey religious metaphor:  the smoke monster isn't really the man in black; it's the evil introduced into the world by Jacob's murder of his brother that just happens to be able to don the guise of the dead, acquiring their memories in the process (which is why Jacob and the MiB are still chummy even though they are antagonists).  

I don't think it was pure evil.  When you come down to it, the smoke monster was equated with science; Jacob with faith.  And Cuse and Lindelof chose the anti-intellectual route and came down resoundingly in favor of faith. 

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2010, 12:55:16 AM »
I don't think necessarily we wanted the instructional reel guy to come out and explain things to us, but it wouldn't have killed them to have thrown us one or two 'oh, so that's what that was' bones.

In the second-to-last episode they made the man in black more ambiguous; he wasn't necessarily evil but definitely was curious and skeptical of superstition, and Jacob was kind of a momma's boy then boom, MiB is pure evil again. So in a way we end up with that 'there are questions you shouldn't ask and places you shouldn't go' anti-science message found in various sci-fi/fantasy and Bible stories over the years. 'Shut up, kid, you ask too many questions. I'm gonna turn you into a smoke monster now. How do you like that?'

Yeah. For a little while there I thought they were going to do something really cool with the MiB, which is make him sympathetic and make the actions of the protagonists morally ambiguous. For a little while there he was just a guy who got screwed over by his brother and his insane mother and he just wanted to leave the island through any means. A tragic villain. They made Jacob look like a huge asshole with questionable motives. And then really quick they killed all that with "if he gets off the island, everyone in the world will die!" Why? "BECAUSE!" And then for some reason that wasn't enough, so they made him want to destroy the island, too.

Oh well.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Pregnant Pause

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »
For whatever reason the ending reminded me of the ending of Labyrinth

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #229 on: May 28, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »

David Bowie's package?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2010, 07:19:36 PM »
David Bowie's package?   Pregnant Pause

Band name and album title.  Buffcoat = brilliant.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

bakersfieldchimp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
It was the goddamn dog that did it to me. I can't stop thinking about Vincent laying down next to Jack. I am SO easy.

Same here-- I didn't get to watch the finale until last night, but that image really stuck with me and made me sad-ish.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2010, 09:13:01 AM »
David Bowie's package?   Pregnant Pause

Band name and album title.  Buffcoat = brilliant.

Thanks, Freddie!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2010, 12:08:11 PM »
I want royalties on that album, Buffy.
from the land of pleasant living

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2010, 02:11:35 PM »

David Bowie's package?

There was an episode this season called "The Package" that would have been the perfect time for that reveal. Though I could see that causing issues with ABC standards and practices.

If Bowie would have played Jacob, that might have gone a long way to salvaging the pretty worthless final season of Lost.
This may be the year I will disappear.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2010, 04:41:14 PM »
So much hatred for a fluffy entertainment. I think some of you are constructing a mass hallucination purgatory for yourselves. It's time to let go!