Author Topic: 3rd Annual The Best Show on WFMU's The Best Show on WFMU Awards  (Read 32981 times)

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: 3rd Annual The Best Show on WFMU's The Best Show on WFMU Awards
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2010, 10:59:22 PM »
Best Caller: Fredericks
Rookie of the Year: Wally Wackyman
Guest of the Year: Aimee Mann is a no brainer. She's been really funny every time she's on, always interesting. She should win solely for contributing that amazing cover of Too Many People.
Saddest Caller: Spike. I know it's easy, but MAN, his calls really got depressing this year.
...after that it gets fuzzy.

I agree on Fredricks and Spike but PFT would be my guest of the year based on the Juggalo conversation alone although Best Show did make me really get into Aimee Mann's music this year. I think Wally should get a higher honor like best co-host or something.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
Worst Call of the Year might well be Spike's call when Martin Short was on.

WRONG, PET
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2010, 09:34:42 AM »
Saddest Call: Spike admitting that Weirdos Exposed wasn't real "for the sake of argument".  I mean that as truly sad, not just pathetic.  My heart broke a little bit.

Best Guest:  Have to agree with PFT for the Juggalo conversation.

Caller of the Year: Andy from Bath.  If not quality, at least in quantity.  His improvement was remarkable.

WRONG !!!!!

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »
Guest of the Year: Aimee Mann is a no brainer. She's been really funny every time she's on, always interesting. She should win solely for contributing that amazing cover of Too Many People.
Saddest Caller: Spike. I know it's easy, but MAN, his calls really got depressing this year.

Saddest CAller? Wrong nomination.

mahgeetah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »
Best Heave-Ho: The banning of Spike. Does this count? I don't know if he was technically heave-ho'd on that call, but it was satisfying and deserves mention nonetheless.
I'm in my late 50's.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2010, 10:21:06 AM »

I find your Obama avatar a perfect choice, Spiker.  He really disappointed me too.

Sad, sad, sad: perfect nomination.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Pastor Josh

« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2010, 11:29:45 AM »
Saddest Call: Spike admitting that Weirdos Exposed wasn't real "for the sake of argument".  I mean that as truly sad, not just pathetic.  My heart broke a little bit.

Best Guest:  Have to agree with PFT for the Juggalo conversation.

Caller of the Year: Andy from Bath.  If not quality, at least in quantity.  His improvement was remarkable.

WRONG !!!!!

Spike, sorry, but I was really pulling for the book to be real.  I was sincerely disappointed when it wasn't.  That call was a sad time for me.
Who I don't have chocolate?

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2010, 12:15:52 PM »
Best Heave-Ho: The banning of Spike. Does this count? I don't know if he was technically heave-ho'd on that call, but it was satisfying and deserves mention nonetheless.

I was NOT banned. Tom lifted the ban.

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2010, 12:20:39 PM »

I find your Obama avatar a perfect choice, Spiker.  He really disappointed me too.

Sad, sad, sad: perfect nomination.

Fredericks, Fredericks, Fredericks: You will never compete with me and WIN !!!!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »
Also most delusional poster, as well

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2010, 04:56:27 PM »

You stole my joke, Davy.

But he is correct I cannot compete with him (for most delusional caller).

But I really do appreciate him spelling my name correctly (3xs).
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Reeleyes

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »

You stole my joke, Davy.

Sorry Fredericks (formally Fredricks in my posts).
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2010, 11:05:46 PM »

You stole my joke, Davy.

Sorry Fredericks (formally Fredricks in my posts).

Apology accepted, Reel.  I was just trying to find something positive to say to Spikee.

You are forgiven. 
Speaking of which.
Archive.org has a great version of fIREHOSE covering a bunch of Who songs back in 1989.

The H-Man

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2010, 12:21:28 AM »
For my nomination for caller of the year, I will have to give that to you, Fredericks.  I think you really did some great calls, one of my favorites being the recent "looped tree burning" thing. It was just so odd that i couldn't stop laughing.

As for this Best Guest, I like PFT, but I'm gonna have to put my money on Andrew WK.  It was an actually really interesting look at him as a person without the nosebreaking for an album cover and the loud music about partying.  He was really genuine, and it was cool to hear him.

Most delusional caller: Wally Wackiman, and yes, that's the official spelling of it.  For thinking he'll ever be able to keep the protege spot, as well as getting Mike annoyed enough to use his own "Dump button" to kick him off, which I thought was hilarious.

Best Call:  Gonna have to give it to Wallace from the Bronx.  nobody else has mentioned him yet, but he stood up against Wally, and was making some odd yet hilarious points about "googly" eyes and got heave-hoed for talking about a real surgical procedure, which was pretty funny.

Rookie of the year's tough, cause I honestly have listened to so many hours of the Best Show that it's hard to remember when things happened.  I wish I was as knowledgeable as other FOTs. 

I don't really know what to think of much else.  It's been a long year.  Hopefully I'll be reminded of something in this thread that I enjoyed or would nominate.
"...Roddy's brother Buddy, he's got a buddy, that works at the 5 and dime, who's Uncle Ron runs a recording studio.  Rod shows up with his six-stringed friend, and a head full of tunes.  Laid down some tracks, and the tape burned like Rock n' Roll fire..."   -Gas Station Dogs

Wes

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
Some more potential nominees, using the Best/Worst Moments thread as a guide.

The 1/6/09 show features a single, amazing segment that could contend for Best Call, make a case for Fredericks as Caller of the Year and serve as part of the Highlight Reel should Spike win Most Delusional. The call featured Fredericks vs. H-Man vs. Spike vs. the newly debuting Fredericks Soundboard and runs from 21 minutes to 28 minutes into the show. Highlights include:
0:21:25 - Tom declares Fredericks the break-out star of the show
0:25:21 - Spike sighs "Ohhh, this is stealing my thunder..."
0:25:36 - A defeated Spike whimpers "Ugh, he's drunk" in reference to the Fredericks Soundboard
0:26:52 - Spike sets off a year-long chain of events when he says to Fredericks "Oh, listen, I've been around WEIRDOS...fuh-evah!"

1/20/09 show, 1:35:50 two back-to-back contenders for Best Heave-Ho when Tom opens up the line to all first-time callers. First-time caller Carlos From Staten Island is informed that the Best Show is not Stand By Me and the need to build a Best Show Resume, and then Tom shockingly turns on first-time caller David From Montclair and explains that all new callers leave on Tom's terms.

A major Saddest Call contender would have to be someone who may also qualify for Rookie Of The Year: Charlie the Drug Addict. 1/27/09, starts at 2:53:45 with "How are ya, Tom? This is Charlie the Drug Addict!" and includes Charlie the Drug Addict's tales of knapsack-based crime and what I think is a brief detour into an attempt to hang himself with his own hair.

2/3/09: One of the best episodes of the year, when Tom asks listeners to call in with celebrity impressions.
-A strong contender for Most Delusional Caller: Petey's  "You come to me on day of my daughter wedding?" (1:02:30)
-Best Heave-Ho nominee: Regular Joe's John Rhys-Davies Impression (1:05:45)
-Best Heave-Ho nominee: Brian In Queens tries to out Michael McDonald Tom's McDonald impression, met with Tom's "Don't do it with me! Heave Ho! I'm crushing you!" and leads to Tom retiring his Michael McDonald impression and then retiring ALL of his impressions except Isabel Sanford and Alan Alda (2:41:18-2:42:50)
-Best Heave-Ho nominee: The Great Joey Levels attempts to do an impression, possibly of himself, but Tom informs the world that he wants "nothing to do with Joey Levels!" and hangs up on him. Added historical importance: possibly Joey Levels' final appearance on the Best Show (2:59:22)
-Possible Best Call nominee (maybe too long?) Chad From Edwardsville does an impression of Chewbacca covering Dinosaur Jr's In A Jar (starts 2:06:52)
-Best Call nominee: Chris L From Maryland as Elvis Costello introducing Herbie Hancock on Spectacle (2:26:28)
This may be the year I will disappear.