Author Topic: Treme  (Read 33447 times)

nec13

• Space Champion!
Re: Treme
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
I believe the Treme s2 ratings are the worst for any original HBO series since late-period Dream On.
HBO begged Simon to reconsider adding Denny Dillon to the Treme team for Season 2, but he just wouldn't back down.

That's because Simon insisted upon hiring Tim Kazurinsky. He was to play Davis' cousin, Ted. Sadly, we'll never know how it might have turned out. Kazurinsky was simply too rich for HBO's blood.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2011, 08:17:57 AM »
Still can't  figure out why I watch this. It is deathly slow. Usually I am not a person to complain about a slow pace but this is just ridiculous. When I am watching it it never seems so bad until the credits roll and I question what I spend the last hour of my life doing. I think I can now say that EVERY character is uninteresting. And last night when the jazz player son was up in his New York apartment going nuts listening to blues records, please. Where did that come from? Simon covers so many freaking characters that none of them develop. They are all doing basically what they were doing in the first season. Sometimes you can tell that he wants the viewer to pick up on every little facial expression and to figure out why that facial expression was made you have to think back three episodes to when a very subtle thing took place. So much work for little reward. With the daughter I think Simon wants to spend seven episode featuring her being mad at her mom. Seriously it's like it was filmed in real time.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2011, 12:35:37 PM »
Still can't  figure out why I watch this. It is deathly slow. Usually I am not a person to complain about a slow pace but this is just ridiculous. When I am watching it it never seems so bad until the credits roll and I question what I spend the last hour of my life doing. I think I can now say that EVERY character is uninteresting. And last night when the jazz player son was up in his New York apartment going nuts listening to blues records, please. Where did that come from? Simon covers so many freaking characters that none of them develop. They are all doing basically what they were doing in the first season. Sometimes you can tell that he wants the viewer to pick up on every little facial expression and to figure out why that facial expression was made you have to think back three episodes to when a very subtle thing took place. So much work for little reward. With the daughter I think Simon wants to spend seven episode featuring her being mad at her mom. Seriously it's like it was filmed in real time.

Why don't you just stop watching it, then? Why prolong the torture?

At least that's what I'd do.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2011, 12:50:07 PM »
Sorry, I'll stop putting it that way. I want to keep watching because I like it while I am watching it but when it is over I can't explain why I watched it or what it added to my life. I know for sure that if I wasn't from Louisiana and able to relate to that mess then I would've definitely been out a long time ago. But I think mainly I feel the same way as Gilly. I want to always be following at least one great show and this is the closest thing to one.

Sarah

« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »
If you like it while you're watching, what does it matter if you don't know why afterward?  You've successfully whiled an hour away; be grateful.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2011, 01:54:17 PM »
I guess you're right.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »
I think the pace of the show is perfect. It's slow but I don't find it boring. I think it does a good job of mixing up the characters... for some life goes on as normal, some look for meaning and answers, some look to take advantage while some get screwed. Simon does a pretty good job of showing the process behind each individual as they deal with life after Katrina in their own way. It is slow, but I think any other way would be sensationalizing what really happened. I can understand why the process isn't compelling for some, but I'm pretty hooked into it.

David

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2011, 04:50:25 PM »
It's deliberately paced, but I'm never anxious for the next scene or for it to speed up. It's really David Simon's version of the hang-out show. I love it. It makes me enjoy music I have no interest in.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »
Im glad they are featuring Tiny Tim a little more this year.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2011, 06:39:20 AM »
Im glad they are featuring Tiny Tim a little more this year.

Its also weird to see Sophia Loren into rap music especially Sissy Bounce.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »
So, right after I post that I've never found Treme boring or slow they air a boring and slow episode the next Sunday. I'm really not liking where the Toni Bernette character is going. I can understand the difficult relationship with her daughter, annoying as it is, because there shouldn't be immediate resolution to that. But, I'm not liking the new relationship with the police officer that you know is going to cause all kinds of trouble with the daughter. That's a cliche that Treme could do without, or at the very least keep it as a very small side story instead of a major plotline like it is now.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2011, 05:59:05 AM »
Just finished watching Season 1. Not sure when series 2 is due in the UK yet.

Overall I found it to be an interesting and enjoyable show, with perhaps a little too much focus on the music. (I am no fan of Jazz so maybe if I was the heavy focus would be less annoying? Are there really no Rock-N-Roll bands in NO?) I think this also made it very difficult to keep track of who was a real musician and who wasn't. And a host of other stuff that seemed to be "inside baseball" stuff for locals.

I found the Treme explained blog to be helpful in this respect, although I only found it after seeing the first 9 episodes (http://topics.nola.com/tag/treme-explained/index.html)

I had no issue with the glacially slow place or the amount of characters. Sometimes it's nice to watch a slow paced show. Clearly not all shows can work to this type of pace, but I thought Treme did, so long as you were prepared to accept it.

Finally, I think it is a real shame that seemingly every single thing I've read about the show, in one way or another, compared the show to the Wire or made reference to the Wire. I get that the Wire has a huge fan base, is beloved and everything else.  Clearly though, this is not the Wire and I think everyone would enjoy it more if they accepted it on it's own terms, rather than wishing it was something it isn't or comparing it to something it isn't. Really, other than the production staff and a couple actors, there's nothing to compare.  I'm not taking shots at anyone on here, this is mostly an issue with the critics/journalists that reviewed and blogged the show. The Guardian series blog even had a "Wire Watch" section for crying out loud. I though the AV club series blog was a little better (and generally I like their TV Club series blogs - but not so much the comments sections.)

I look forward to Season 2 a great deal. Season 1 improved with each show and the characters mostly became more like-able through the run so the potential seems to be good for another season.

"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:01 AM »
Are there really no Rock-N-Roll bands in NO?)

I haven't been watching, but a good buddy told me that both Crowbar and Eyehategod appear in the season 2 opener.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »
 :-\    >:(    :(       :-[    :'(

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2011, 06:08:06 PM »
:-\    >:(    :(       :-[    :'(

That was way beyond heartbreaking.  They'll let "DJ Davis" keep making whatever kind of noise it is he's making (do people actually like that stuff?) but take out the guy playing the good stuff? 
For once I found myself wishing that David Simon would go for something a bit easier.  Or happy.
Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic