Author Topic: Treme  (Read 33442 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Treme
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2010, 08:09:36 AM »
I am in the crowd scene when the gospel choir is singing at the Parthenon. Look for me!

Dave i spotted you!

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2010/07/heres_looking_at_you_nashville.html

See the guy in the upper left corner? His name is Sam Howard. I am standing about 6-8 people to his right!

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2010, 02:17:05 AM »
Was there any greasy funk to be had?

Oh my god, was there ever. Lloyd Price was a Johnny Otis discovery, but struck out on his own pretty quick. He has that corny song, "Personality," but he also has a great version of "Stagger Lee," and a little toe-tapper called "Where Were You On My Wedding Day" which excuses any of the jokey stuff he did.

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2010, 04:56:06 AM »
It was cool to see Alan Toussaint and Lloyd Price together, but I don't see myself going back to this when it starts up again. There aren't many characters with any charisma in it and one of them is gone. I have all the closure I'm going to need.

I wouldn't be surprised if half the cast was replaced next season with new characters ala The Wire. A lot of them seemed to have their stories tied up pretty well.

the abundance of unlikeable characters may make it difficult (high on my list after the first episode: Steve Zahn's obnoxious dj, .

Every time he starts to talk I want to smash my TV.  Luckily I can fast forward all of his scenes with Tivo

I like Zahn in general and I thought he was great in this.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »
I didn't like Davis at first, but he grew on me as the season progressed.  However, I found the John Goodman's character to be thoroughly unlikeable, and I am hoping that he doesn't return. The same goes for Sonny the street musician.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2010, 10:40:39 PM »
I didn't like Davis at first, but he grew on me as the season progressed.  However, I found the John Goodman's character to be thoroughly unlikeable, and I am hoping that he doesn't return. The same goes for Sonny the street musician.

I don't see John Goodman coming back, unless the series takes a 'Six Feet Under' turn.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »
Is anyone watching the new season? I almost want to say this show is bad, but I keep watching. It's like they're playing a joke on me with these scenes that seem to have the potential to escalate into something entertaining but never ever do. And was a contract signed stating that anytime a song begins they HAVE to finish it?

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
Treme is David Simon's John from Cincinnati. He'll return to form at some point just like Milch with the forthcoming Luck.

I believe the Treme s2 ratings are the worst for any original HBO series since late-period Dream On. Shows like Carnivàle, which by HBO standards was getting pretty low ratings (but had a loyal fanbase, myself included) and John from Cincinnati, considered by most to be a massive dud, generally had 4x to 6x the amount of viewers compared Treme this season.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »
Treme is David Simon's John from Cincinnati. He'll return to form at some point just like Milch with the forthcoming Luck.

I believe the Treme s2 ratings are the worst for any original HBO series since late-period Dream On. Shows like Carnivàle, which by HBO standards was getting pretty low ratings (but had a loyal fanbase, myself included) and John from Cincinnati, considered by most to be a massive dud, generally had 4x to 6x the amount of viewers compared Treme this season.

Wow I didn't know that. Do you think they judged whether or not to make season 2 on the viewership of the first few episodes?

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »

Wow I didn't know that. Do you think they judged whether or not to make season 2 on the viewership of the first few episodes?

HBO renewed Treme after the pilot aired. It had 1.4 million viewers, which wasn't great, but it was more than The Wire had when it first aired. It also had very strong critical support at the time.  (I'm not sure if that's subsided now.) The Wire, however, added viewers over the years and did very well on DVD. Treme is down to 500-600k viewers this season, which is simply dreadful. I think they should add Chumlee and The Old Man to the cast ASAP.  Imagine those two on the prowl for shrimp po' boys!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2011, 02:06:30 PM »

HBO renewed Treme after the pilot aired. It had 1.4 million viewers, which wasn't great, but it was more than The Wire had when it first aired. It also had very strong critical support at the time.  (I'm not sure if that's subsided now.) The Wire, however, added viewers over the years and did very well on DVD. Treme is down to 500-600k viewers this season, which is simply dreadful. I think they should add Chumlee and The Old Man to the cast ASAP.  Imagine those two on the prowl for shrimp po' boys!

I still call it "Treem."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Wes

« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »
I believe the Treme s2 ratings are the worst for any original HBO series since late-period Dream On.
HBO begged Simon to reconsider adding Denny Dillon to the Treme team for Season 2, but he just wouldn't back down.
This may be the year I will disappear.

wood and iron

« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »
My problem with this show is that David Simon seems to have taken his mantle as popular sociologist too seriously and now the show and characters are just barking facts about life in New Orleans after Katrina. "Police response time is slow!"

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »
I think after episode 3 last season I was all "give the show a chance," then I was done with it after episode 4.

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
HBO has renewed Treme for a third season.  I guess the total viewership for s2 episodes has been about 1 million/episode.

When asked for a comment Dr. Bryce Prefontaine said, "Oh man, that's pretty surprising. I thought for sure those dudes were gonna get like canceled. I hope they add Randee of the Redwoods to the cast next season. Loved that guy on Arli$$, too."

Timmy von Trimble responded to the news by smashing his dollhouse while listening to Necroczar.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2011, 04:13:03 AM »
Maybe it's just me, maybe it's that there aren't many good shows on TV right now, but this is my favorite show right now and it's not even close.