Author Topic: Treme  (Read 33434 times)

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
Re: Treme
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 02:01:37 AM »
Didn't the tourists say they were with their church? I thought they were with some sort of relief.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 06:17:32 AM »
somewhere, deep in the Best Show archives, is a moment when Tom is talking about one of the countless friends/colleagues telling him that he HAS to watch the show. He starts going off about his annoyance with "TheWire!TheWire!TheWire!".

hence, the sub-sub-TBSOFMU meme.

I remember that call.  From what I recall, he was talking to a real drip at the time.  

Ooooh you watch your back, L....

For the record, I was talking about me.  I know better than to start a B-more/Bethesda beef.  

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 11:24:24 AM »
Oh hahaha I just remember "The Wire! The Wire! The Wire!" being an integral part of my first BS calls.

I can understand why musicians might dislike the tourist area. Kind of like native New Yorkers not wanting to hang out in Times Square with all the tourists. Plus, those church kids were pretty annoying. Although I don't know what the point of introducing those characters was. They fell really flat.

LOVE John Goodman... LOVE THAT MAN.
from the land of pleasant living

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 04:48:53 PM »
Not much to add here, only that I really like the show so far.

In my opinion, the only character that really qualifies as a jerk so far is the Piano Dude. He's condescending and has sub-par piano skills. And he's handsome, which makes him more annoying than he would be otherwise. I find Steve Zahn more funny than jerky.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 09:48:58 PM »
Not much to add here, only that I really like the show so far.

In my opinion, the only character that really qualifies as a jerk so far is the Piano Dude. He's condescending and has sub-par piano skills. And he's handsome, which makes him more annoying than he would be otherwise. I find Steve Zahn more funny than jerky.

Yeah i didn't think Steve Zahn was annoying either, i think the character i like the most is the Cheif. I like how it explores that whole stubborn side of the Hurricane situation. I wish they would have played the stolen tools thing out though, or even just let it be what it is. When he beat the guy up i had to roll my eyes a little "what is this an action show now".

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 11:47:26 PM »
I've been trying to get past the first episode of The Wire for like half a decade now.

Took me three episodes (and a couple re-watchings of the episodes) before I was hooked in. Now I can't go back. I love it.

I'll probably watch Treme four years from now on DVD. Much like I did the Wire.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »
If episode 3 is any indication, I think Treme might be losing me a little bit. I'm not giving up yet, but a couple of moments from this episode actively annoyed me. We'll see what happens.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 01:04:17 AM »
If episode 3 is any indication, I think Treme might be losing me a little bit. I'm not giving up yet, but a couple of moments from this episode actively annoyed me. We'll see what happens.

Let me guess: the tour bus?  

I think for now at least this is the reaction the show is deliberately trying to provoke.  There's not much going on plotwise to interest the viewer, but they're giving us enough characterization and detail to make us wonder where it's going. We know that Simon is a storyteller with huge confidence and we can assume he's fine with us wondering at this point if it's all going to be successful.  

I am warming to the Zahn character, which is a good sign, and as a bonus I got a welcome Roseanne flashback from his scene with Goodman.  

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 02:10:24 AM »

I bet i know, whoever the foley artist was for the first scene should be shot that had to be the most disgusting sex scene ive ever seen.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 06:53:03 AM »

Let me guess: the tour bus?  

That, and the Dr. John scene.

The tour bus is definitely part of it, but I think it's a larger issue, where any and all "outsiders" (most specifically, the folks on the tour bus and the midwestern church kids from episode 2) are the sorts of mouth-breathing bovine Americans that I'd expect from a Bill Hicks or George Carlin standup bit, not a dramatic television show by the guy who did The Wire. It's crossed my mind that, like you say, Simon is intentionally trying to provoke this reaction (you see a little bit of it in tonight's episode where the Zahn character lectures his neighbors about the musical history of the neighborhood, only to discover that the neighbor knows everything and is, in fact, a native), and I have enough trust in him as a storyteller to stick it out and see where he's taking the audience. The doubtful part of me is starting to get the same feeling as in Season 5 of The Wire, where Simon's anger turns self-righteous and the newspaper storyline gets unusually one-dimensional. I hope I'm wrong.

I also hope they get around to using the Goodman character as something other than a mouthpiece for the series creators' viewpoint.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 11:14:07 AM »
"It's called YouTube. Anyone can put anything on it! Isn't it cool?" I cringed.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
"It's called YouTube. Anyone can put anything on it! Isn't it cool?" I cringed.

I didn't think this was so bad. YouTube was still a new thing at the time the show takes place after all.  I'm incredibly disappointed by the lack of MySpacing on the show though.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2010, 12:47:08 PM »
I'm incredibly disappointed by the lack of MySpacing on the show though.

Not to mention the lack of iPhones.

Barry Egan

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2010, 01:10:13 PM »
I bet i know, whoever the foley artist was for the first scene should be shot that had to be the most disgusting sex scene ive ever seen.

Celery and a nice wet chamois.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2010, 01:12:59 PM »
I guess what made me cringe was not that it was inaccurate, but that they felt they had to drop that line and acknowledge YouTube.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling