Author Topic: Jimmy Kimmel is a humorless FWD  (Read 5623 times)

John Junk

Re: Jimmy Kimmel is a humorless FWD
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
I saw Colin Quinn at 48th St. and 9th Ave. once, and I even thought about telling Gawker, but it was only Colin Quinn, and he wasn't doing anything embarassing, just had a smug look on his face when I looked at him, like, "I know you know who I am".  I tried to have the face on that said "Tough Crowd is the worst television show in history" but I don't think he saw it.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 12:43:42 PM »
I saw Colin Quinn at 48th St. and 9th Ave. once, and I even thought about telling Gawker, but it was only Colin Quinn, and he wasn't doing anything embarassing, just had a smug look on his face when I looked at him, like, "I know you know who I am".  I tried to have the face on that said "Tough Crowd is the worst television show in history" but I don't think he saw it.

Tough Crowd was awesome.  It was essential viewing for anyone interested in stand-up even though I hated all the regulars except Greg Giraldo.  While watching it, I felt like I was transported back to the late 1980s/early 1990s glory days of non-stop stand-up on The Comedy Channel/HA!/The Shout! Network's Laff Riot.  Maybe I'm just a sucker for people mocking Rich Vos unmercifully.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 12:52:08 PM »
Yeah, I miss Tough Crowd.  Forget the pig-ignorant political opinions and the woeful sketches they'd do every now and then. The insult humor was unmerciful and great. 

John Junk

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 01:18:19 PM »
You guys are crazy. That show ate it.  It's like:  What are comedians like when they're not being funny?  That was the premise of that show.  Colin Quinn was awesome being himself and deconstructing stand-up in Comedian, but then Tough Crowd is where he took that and ran with it, straight into a brick wall.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 01:23:33 PM »
You guys are crazy. That show ate it.  It's like:  What are comedians like when they're not being funny?  That was the premise of that show.  Colin Quinn was awesome being himself and deconstructing stand-up in Comedian, but then Tough Crowd is where he took that and ran with it, straight into a brick wall.

I was not a fan of regulars like Norton, DiPaolo, and Keith Robinson (unless they were mocking each other and Vos), but Greg Giradlo was consistently funny and the non-regular guests were often quite good.  Colin basically had every active stand-up comedian on the show at some point.  The first time I ever saw Maria Bamford was on Tough Crowd.  I also liked Patrice O'Neal.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »
Yeah, I'm inclined to think Tough Crowd was the only place some of those guys were ever funny.  I may not want to go see, say, Jim Norton perform stand-up, but I will watch him and Quinn bust on each other for being perverted and mush-mouthed, respectively.  

Pride of Staten Island

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 02:31:57 PM »
I gotta say I saw Colin Quinn do stand up back sometime in the mid-90s when he was on SNL and he was absolutely hysterical, never more so then when a joke bombed and he made fun of himself. I think he's one of those guys that's funnier when he's off the cuff than when he's doing material. Supposedly that particular performance was being recorded for an album but i don't think it ever came out.

That being said Tough Crowd was pretty awful and his time as achor on Weekend Update wasn't much better.
The only Wire I care about is the one that recorded Pink Flag.

Tim K in DC

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 10:38:30 PM »
what's a FWD?

please don't call me one for not knowing this. please. you can pm me if it's too mean to post. thanks.

The following show is where the concept was introduced:

January 10, 2006: An Unfair Record Review Of The Soupjam Stevens Album, The First Factory Wrapped Douche Of The Week, A Round Of 'I Love, I Hate', MC Steinberg Rap Battles John Junk, And Ted Leo Accepts A Rap Battle Challenge! |
Click on this link http://www.wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=17677 to hear it on a Real Player.

Sadly, the archive for the show where the Abercrombie & Fitch CEO was nominated is not available. Holy guacamole...
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 11:19:59 AM »
Thanks!