Author Topic: youtube (Now inexplicably featuring 50 other video sites)  (Read 1172128 times)

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: youtube (Now inexplicably featuring 2 year old viral internet sensations)
« Reply #705 on: December 24, 2007, 02:39:26 PM »
Aah, Alexi Sayle... genius.

Ason

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #706 on: December 24, 2007, 06:35:49 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkLpM7HQ8SU[/youtube]

Who remembers this show? Patrick Duffy as a merman
"A woman suspects that her daughter's imaginary friend is a ghost haunting their new home"

______http://www.myspace.com/franktherobottank________

Sarah

« Reply #707 on: December 24, 2007, 08:39:23 PM »
I used to watch it with my mummy.  Patrick Duffy's finest hour.

Dorvid Barnas

« Reply #708 on: December 27, 2007, 04:17:30 AM »
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=7iUlJrP5FXc[/youtube]
I've seen The Devil, and it's the intern who wrote this.
I've just discovered whole new anger muscles I didn't know I had. 
Thanks for that, Guvna!  You too, Fuck Norris!

DigiDan

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #709 on: December 27, 2007, 06:48:35 AM »
 :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzxfV-SuVeU[/youtube]

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #710 on: December 30, 2007, 06:10:10 PM »
table hockey stick skating vs. air hockey stick skating
WHO YA GOT?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIu_3sPRCv4[/youtube]
                                    vs.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpMii6XzK8[/youtube]
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

jane

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #711 on: December 30, 2007, 07:39:08 PM »
Here's one for you Laurie, and other fans of Michael Cera

http://www.clarkandmichael.com/

Oh and here's one for you specifically.  It's, um, from Jason.
[youtube]zqKn50PD-f0[/youtube]

Laurie

« Reply #712 on: January 03, 2008, 06:47:46 AM »
I've had a crush on Michael Cera ever since Arrested Development. He made me feel like a dirty old lady.

By the way, Celine Dion is amazing:

[youtube]zQrcNujVTPA[/youtube]

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #713 on: January 03, 2008, 07:53:42 AM »

Let's hope this author had the foresight to address some or all of these points:

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #714 on: January 03, 2008, 05:39:22 PM »

Let's hope this author had the foresight to address some or all of these points:

Douglas Wolk on this book, from The Savage critic:

This one is about Céline Dion's 1999 album Let's Talk About Love--the one with that Titanic song
on it. What's unusual about Wilson's book is that he can't stand Dion's music. But this isn't a
book about why her music sucks: it's a book in which he tries to understand why he thinks so,
and why the tens of millions of people around the world who adore it think it's wonderful.

And that takes him straight into the problem of taste. (The book's subtitle is a little joke--a
reference to another famous Céline.) Dion, in Quebecois slang, is kétaine: tacky, naff. The
first few chapters of the book ("Let's Talk About Hate," "Let's Talk About World Conquest," "Let's
Talk About Schmaltz") talk about how she got that way: they run through the curious particulars of
her biography, her commercial domination of the globe, and the history of the particular
pop-music aesthetic she embodies. Then we get to the core of the discussion, a pair of chapters
called "Let's Talk About Taste" and "Let's Talk About Who's Got Bad Taste."

Wilson runs through the old but still vexing question of criticism's relationship to populism;
he talks about Vitaly Komar and Alex Melamid's brilliant Most Wanted/Unwanted Paintings project,
and the related Most Wanted/Unwanted Song project. He quotes David Hume's description of a
person with good taste (which is essentially someone who likes things that will stand the test
of time), and points out that that standard tends to favor tradition over innovation. Eventually,
he gets to Pierre Bourdieu. To quote Wilson's summary: "What we have agreed to call tastes, he
said, is an array of symbolic associations we use to set ourseles apart from those whose social
ranking is beneath us, and to take aim at the status we think we deserve. Taste is a means of
distinguishing ourselves from others, the pursuit of distinction... In early twenty-first-century
terms, for most people under fifty, distinction boils down to cool. Cool confers status--symbolic
power. It incorporates both cultural capital and social capital, and it's a clear potential route
to economic capital." Wilson has plenty of points of disagreement with Bourdieu (and so do I), but
he notes that "even if Bourdieu was only fifty percent right--if taste is only half a
sub-conscious mechanism by which we fight for power and status, mainly by condemning people we
consider 'beneath' us--that would be twice as complicit in class discrimination as most of us
would like to think our aesthetics are."

The rest of the book is Wilson playing around with taste in general and taste for Céline in
particular. He interviews a handful of big fans (of one of them, he writes: "His taste world is
coherent and an enormous pleasure to him. Not only does it seem as valid as my own, utterly
incompatible tastes, I like him so much that for a long moment his taste seems superior. What was
the point again of all that nasty, life-negating crap I like?"); he goes to see "A New Day" in
Vegas (and has a miserable time that leads him to meditate on why sentimentality in art gets such a
bad rap, and how aesthetes tend to sentimentalize ambiguity); he forces himself, at last, to listen
closely to Let's Talk About Love and write about it. And then, in the final chapter, he tries to
imagine a new and more "democratic" kind of criticism: "What would criticism be like if it
were not foremost trying to persuade people to find the same things great? If it weren't about
making cases for or against things?... It might be more frank about the two-sidedness of
aesthetic encounter, and offer something more like a tour of an aesthetic experience, a
travelogue, a memoir."

Just FYI.  Sorry for interrupting the YouTube fun.  Carry on.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Laurie

« Reply #715 on: January 03, 2008, 07:21:36 PM »
Watch the Celine Dion Is Bananas video in its entirety, people. I used to dislike her, and now I DON'T KNOW. I'm confused.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #716 on: January 03, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »
Watch the Celine Dion Is Bananas video in its entirety, people. I used to dislike her, and now I DON'T KNOW. I'm confused.

I passed over it at first glance. Thanks for the shove because that was something else. How would you like to be her personal assistant and have to deal with that everyday? Yikes.

Laurie

« Reply #717 on: January 03, 2008, 09:06:44 PM »
I think I would love being her personal assistant for a couple of months. It might get old after four months, maybe five, but those first three months would be GOLDEN.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #718 on: January 03, 2008, 10:32:52 PM »
Surely you meant days.

Dorvid Barnas

« Reply #719 on: January 03, 2008, 10:44:40 PM »
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=7iUlJrP5FXc[/youtube]
I've seen The Devil, and it's the intern who wrote this.
I've just discovered whole new anger muscles I didn't know I had. 
Thanks for that, Guvna!  You too, Fuck Norris!
You guys see who stood directly behind Huckabee during his Iowa Caucus victory speech?
That's right - Fuck Norris, sporting a flannel shirt.
Nice. I can't wait to see whom Tay Zonday endorses.

Love,
If Huckabee becomes President I'm moving to fucking Vancouver and this time I mean it I swear to God. Try me, America.  Fucking try me.