Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947370 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #885 on: August 16, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »
V will probably take you like 3-4 months, but I think it's worth it.  It's the first Pynchon I ever attempted, and I thought it was a lot of fun, and totally surprising.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

dnk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #886 on: August 16, 2009, 09:03:59 PM »
V will probably take you like 3-4 months, but I think it's worth it.  It's the first Pynchon I ever attempted, and I thought it was a lot of fun, and totally surprising.

Wow, I was not expecting that. Did you read other books at the same time or have lots of work (schoolwork or at-home-work-from-work or something)? Or did you just bring yourself along slowly because of the density?

Would it be difficult to try to read during the school year?

Thanks for the help.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #887 on: August 16, 2009, 09:55:06 PM »
I was just living my life at the time, but it's a big book and kind of impossible to read quickly.  Though on the other hand, it's written in a way where it's kind of impossible to follow everything that's going on, so maybe you won't miss much by skimming.  I think it would be OK to read during school as long as you didn't have to do a lot of reading for class and such.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #888 on: August 16, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »
Do comics count for this thread?

Just call them graphic novels. I read Night Fisher the other night, also Ghost of Hoppers.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #889 on: August 17, 2009, 11:24:36 PM »

Just call them graphic novels. I read Night Fisher the other night, also Ghost of Hoppers.

In that case I'm reading about 5 graphic novels a week.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #890 on: August 17, 2009, 11:31:01 PM »
I'm reading the new Nick Hornby, 'Juliet, Naked', and I have to say, it's pretty ace.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Reeleyes

« Reply #891 on: August 17, 2009, 11:36:06 PM »
I read A Long Way Down. I loved it until the end.

dnk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #892 on: August 18, 2009, 01:00:09 AM »
I was just living my life at the time, but it's a big book and kind of impossible to read quickly.  Though on the other hand, it's written in a way where it's kind of impossible to follow everything that's going on, so maybe you won't miss much by skimming.  I think it would be OK to read during school as long as you didn't have to do a lot of reading for class and such.

Gotcha. I'm going to be taking either one or two English classes because I'm planning on minoring in English, so we'll see how it works out.

Only if they actually are though. One of my pet peeves is when people say "graphic novels" when they're really just "comics" that were collected in a trade or hardcover. I'm not saying that I think there's no such thing as a "graphic novel," I'm just saying that if my mind were to Venn diagram it, all graphic novels are comics, but not all comics are graphic novels.

I just finished reading Grant Morrison and Richard Case's run on DOOM PATROL last night. It's absolutely phenomenal. I can't believe I've lived so much of my life without having read it. It's probably my second or third favorite Morrison work (after ALL STAR SUPERMAN, and maybe WE3), although I will be reading THE INVISIBLES this week and hope it tops everything else.

In that case I'm reading about 5 graphic novels a week.

Are they actually graphic novels or do you mean monthly comic books (or just collected trades or HCs)? Whatever the case, what are you reading and what do you think about them?

I'm reading the new Nick Hornby, 'Juliet, Naked', and I have to say, it's pretty ace.

Oh cool, I didn't know he had a new book out. I will be sure to check it out. Books are one medium I always wish I was more up to date on. I find that even my favorite authors have novels fly right by my radar for a good while until I randomly happen by their Wikipedia page. So I started trying to make a note of it whenever I see one has an upcoming book.

What NEW books are you guys looking forward to reading?

-Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 - It got rave reviews in Japan, but no English translation has been announced yet.
-Jonathan Lethem's CHRONIC CITY - I'm a big Lethem fan. September.
-Dave Eggers's THE WILD THINGS - A long novel adaptation to go along with the upcoming movie he co-wrote. He's said that the novel is more his story and the movie is more Spike Jonze's. I can't wait for either. (Eggers also just released ZEITOUN, a nonfiction book about a Syrian man in New Orleans during and after Katrina; that was pretty good)

Yeesh. Long post.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #893 on: August 18, 2009, 06:25:33 AM »

Blood's a Rover, the new James Ellroy, which comes out next month. It's the third installment in his Underworld USA Trilogy.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

DoodleJump!

« Reply #894 on: August 18, 2009, 10:35:17 AM »
I am reading Mark Twain's Following the Equator v. I. I love it so far, his insights into traveling are surprisingly fresh and thought-provoking.
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #895 on: August 18, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »

"When a new book comes out, I read an old one."

Samuel Rogers (attributed in Recollections of The Table Talk of Samuel Rogers, to which is added Porsoniania, 1856)

On the other hand.

"But this rather priggish saying, like so many of the sayings about books, has always struck me as offensive. The affectation of being behind the times is no more admirable than a strained endeavor to be ahead of them."

Edmund Lester Pearson, The Independent and Weekly Review, Feb. 18, 1922

Reeleyes

« Reply #896 on: August 18, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Are they actually graphic novels or do you mean monthly comic books (or just collected trades or HCs)? Whatever the case, what are you reading and what do you think about them?

I'm just reading monthly comics. I agree with your position on graphics novels and comics, I was making a humorous reference to Steve's comment.

I guess my favorite thing that I'm reading now is Chew, it's fairly original and the art is pretty cool. I read Spiderman #600 which was good for the various "Covers you'll never see" section. Oh and I'm loving Kick Ass and can't wait for a new issue.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #897 on: August 18, 2009, 01:16:48 PM »

-Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 - It got rave reviews in Japan, but no English translation has been announced yet.
-Jonathan Lethem's CHRONIC CITY - I'm a big Lethem fan. September.
-Dave Eggers's THE WILD THINGS - A long novel adaptation to go along with the upcoming movie he co-wrote. He's said that the novel is more his story and the movie is more Spike Jonze's. I can't wait for either. (Eggers also just released ZEITOUN, a nonfiction book about a Syrian man in New Orleans during and after Katrina; that was pretty good)

This plus the new Ellroy are on my list - i have so much reading to do for my job that I haven't been able to read anything else in months.

The new Nabokov put together from the notes he wanted burned.
There's also a book on Second City coming out - looks like it's done in the same kind of style as the SNL book.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #898 on: August 19, 2009, 08:27:57 AM »
Jonathan Lethem is awesome.

I have a bad habit of buying books as soon as they come out and holding onto them for years.  Here's an example: I bought a full-price copy of Simon Reynolds' Rip It Up And Start Again in 2005, still hadn't read it when I saw it half-price at Powell's in 2007, and finally got around to reading it a couple of months ago.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #899 on: August 19, 2009, 11:47:51 AM »
Jonathan Lethem is awesome.

Agreed - I forgot I'm actually reading Motherless Brooklyn right now along w/a few other things - I read it a while ago but have forgotten much of it so I started it again a few weeks ago.

I have a bad habit of buying books as soon as they come out and holding onto them for years.  Here's an example: I bought a full-price copy of Simon Reynolds' Rip It Up And Start Again in 2005, still hadn't read it when I saw it half-price at Powell's in 2007, and finally got around to reading it a couple of months ago.

Did you like it? I had a hard time w/that one ... I don't think I liked his writing style.

I am also about 1/5 of the way into When Giants Walked the Earth, a new Led Zep bio. It's alright.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?