Author Topic: THE BAN AND THE BANNED.  (Read 59705 times)

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: THE BAN AND THE BANNED.
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
Revised sentencing:

Z-Man - four months PLUS ONE ADDITIONAL WEEK

told ya so.

Okay, NOW I get it.  I thought it was Animal House, at first, then realized it was The Breakfast Club, but I didn't see the connection.  Seeing this response reminded me of what that situation might have been, so I can kinda see it, now.  I've only seen either of those movies, so much, and maybe never in full.

-Zach (Big Z)

You mess with the bull, young man...
We just need Laurie to pipe in once you've gotten your ban up to six months with "STOP!"

I'm not sure how much bull-messing I was doing.  Just confused and looking for some logic where perhaps there is none.  I'm just kind of genuinely upset about this, and I don't know why mine's the longest when I can probably count the total number of times I've called as myself, in the years I've been listening, on two hands.  I could go on, but I know I'll just get more time and no real explanation.  Aside from that, I'm losing you on what you mean about Laurie.

-Zach (Big Z)

Maybe the point is that since you call in so rarely then a four month ban won't be such a big deal. Sort of like how if a pitcher is suspended from baseball he gets at least 5 days while a regular player might get one day for the same offense. Because the pitcher only pitches once every five days.

Otherwise just keep in mind that it's a comedy show and based on what I've seen most of Tom's bans appear to be more symbolic than anything. The Best Show is a dictatorship, not a democracy. Tom has never hid the fact that the whole thing is subject to his personal whims.

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »
IS anybody upset at this?

No. It's fantastic. Even better than nixing the protege thing. Bring on the new callers! (But bring back Fredericks!)

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2011, 10:28:56 PM »
Revised sentencing:

told ya so.

Okay, NOW I get it.  I thought it was Animal House, at first, then realized it was The Breakfast Club, but I didn't see the connection.  Seeing this response reminded me of what that situation might have been, so I can kinda see it, now.  I've only seen either of those movies, so much, and maybe never in full.

-Zach (Big Z)

We just need Laurie to pipe in once you've gotten your ban up to six months with "STOP!"

I'm not sure how much bull-messing I was doing.  Just confused and looking for some logic where perhaps there is none.  I'm just kind of genuinely upset about this, and I don't know why mine's the longest when I can probably count the total number of times I've called as myself, in the years I've been listening, on two hands.  I could go on, but I know I'll just get more time and no real explanation.  Aside from that, I'm losing you on what you mean about Laurie.

-Zach (Big Z)

Big Z.
As Tom likes to tell you, and as a fellow person that takes things WAY too personally, I'm telling you: "RELAX" I'm making funnies here. 

And if you're going to make me explain a simple Breakfast Club reference to you even further, in the scene referenced, Claire, as played by the precocious Molly Ringwold (I so wish I knew her ranking on DFK's weird-ass math scale) implores John Bender (Judd Nelson in his finest hour) to stop pushing it after he pushed his sentence to two months.  So what I did, you see, in sticking with the idea that you are the John Bender in the scenario, I took another person in real life who is also in "detention" like in the movie-in this case, in a stroke of comedic genius, I assigned Laurie from Miami as the rich princess Claire.  This thing has fucking levels, man.

Sarah

« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2011, 10:52:29 PM »
Hell, even I got that.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2011, 11:00:38 PM »
Revised sentencing:

told ya so.

-Zach (Big Z)

-Zach (Big Z)

Big Z.
As Tom likes to tell you, and as a fellow person that takes things WAY too personally, I'm telling you: "RELAX" I'm making funnies here. 

And if you're going to make me explain a simple Breakfast Club reference to you even further, in the scene referenced, Claire, as played by the precocious Molly Ringwold (I so wish I knew her ranking on DFK's weird-ass math scale) implores John Bender (Judd Nelson in his finest hour) to stop pushing it after he pushed his sentence to two months.  So what I did, you see, in sticking with the idea that you are the John Bender in the scenario, I took another person in real life who is also in "detention" like in the movie-in this case, in a stroke of comedic genius, I assigned Laurie from Miami as the rich princess Claire.  This thing has fucking levels, man.

"weird-ass"? Really?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2011, 11:17:11 PM »
She's a 66.66

Ten best roles: 1) Sixteen Candles 2) Pretty in Pink 3) The Breakfast Club 4) Surviving 5) Strike it Rich 6) Packing It In 7) PK and the Kid 8) The Stand 9) Office Killer 10) Requiem for Murder

Peak period: 1983 - 1986

Neighborhood: Angie Dickinson, Carrie Fisher, Peter Gallagher, Christopher Guest, Yaphet Kotto, Oliver Platt

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2011, 11:35:28 PM »
I want to see a Yaphet Kotto-Molly Ringwald vehicle. 

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

wood and iron

« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »
I love huge game-changing stuff like this. I'm getting the same feeling as I did at the end of season 3 of Lost.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2011, 12:15:44 AM »
I love huge game-changing stuff like this. I'm getting the same feeling as I did at the end of season 3 of Lost.

Larry: "Laurie! We gotta go back, dere!"

(Thanks for reminding me of one my most giddy TV moments ever.)
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

betheboy

« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2011, 02:49:29 PM »
ALL HAIL THE MAD QUEEN!

Really: if you are upset at a banning/ ban time, I think it might be time to reassess where this fun radio show fits into your life. If anyone feels that they are entitled to any certain amount of call time AT ALL, then that is just plain selfish in my book. I bet there are countless wonderful weirdos out there who probably just don't call in b/c the the lines are jammed with regulars.

If you listen back through the archives, there really are some magical moments that occur with some one-shot callers.

I agree with this 100%. Anyone who is truly upset about the ban should take a deep breath and trust Tom on this because this is going to be GREAT for the show. I love all of the regular callers but I don't tune in for them. I listen every week and tell everyone I meet to do the same because of Tom (and Jon). I realize that every regular caller loves the show and just wants to be a part of it but opening the door for some new people is going to pay off. You never know when the next Spike is going to call in.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »
I remember when Flooney stopped calling, I thought it would be the end of the show.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »
Hey Gang,
    After seeing all the follow-up, I just wanted to clarify something.  I am of the thinking that agrees with KickTheBobo, BeTheBoy, and maybe anyone else who is in agreement with them that goes by ____The_____.  My being upset was purely caused by the quantitative values of it all.  I think the notion of a "regular"-wide ban is a great idea to bring new listeners/callers into the fold, and none of the current regulars could become such if those that preceded them dominated the airwaves.  Yes, this is TOM'S SHOW, and he can do WHATEVER HE WANTS (within the confines of legal/radio-safe rules).

It's just that it started as six-months, across-the-board, and then became something else.  I didn't personally volunteer myself or Wally to be tossed into the singled out pile, as I felt that seeing that makes it more personal.  Bans have usually been something deserved/earned by doing something wrong, like cursing on the air or otherwise raising Tom's ire.  I figured I'd be included in this, as well as Wally would be, but it was just kind of baffling that I'd be the very longest, because it then came off as if I was the worst offender (of one sort of offense or another) of the whole lot, despite my very irregular calling pattern.

I'm perfectly fine, now, and I understand and appreciate all the points that have been made since I posted in this thread.  I simply used the forum to voice my opinion, as that's what it's for.  I kind of like the baseball analogy, as that at least makes sense to me, if that's a thing (I don't follow sports), even though it may not be worth the time and effort trying to make any sense of any of it.  There is ZERO entitlement, here, and I certainly don't think I'm better or more deserving of air-time than anybody else.  I've barely called as myself because I've never thought I'm that great of a caller, when Wally's not involved.  I thought the recent Comic-Con story, coupled with Anthony calling in (a complete surprise to me, orchestrated by H-Man), was a really great and fun one, reminiscent of other tales of self-deprication/embarrassment that have gotten laughs on the air, before.

Seriously, it's all good, now, and I'm sorry if I came off like a drama queen or anything like that.  The show and this loyal community of fans/followers/friends does mean a great deal to me.  Thanks for hearing me out, and I do appreciate the Breakfast Club reference, especially now that I understand where Laurie fits in.

-Zach (Big Z)

not that clay

« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2011, 03:44:58 PM »
Zach, you hosted the show, what, three times already? Plus in-studio appearances? No other caller has done that. You're just overexposed.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2011, 05:53:17 PM »
I wouldn't say overexposed, necessarily.  Besides, those were Wally, so when me and him are distinguished on the ban list, so must it be everywhere else, as I prefer.  Either way, it's all good and settled, now.  There is no beef/hash/whatever at all.

-Zach (Big Z)

One of the Few

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2011, 08:08:51 PM »
All chumps angry or confused by the bannings should go back to AST and let the real ballers do what they do.