Author Topic: "It's a Wawa World"  (Read 1654 times)

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
"It's a Wawa World"
« on: September 05, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »
Your vigor for life appalls me.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: "It's a Wawa World"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:51:17 PM »
F yeah man! I meant to post that here when I read it. Slipped my mind. For those who aren't from the Philly/South Jersey/Delaware region: I really cannot stress enough how prevalent Wawa is to not just the local economy but to the local culture.

My wife's a teacher in Upper Darby -- which is the suburb which borders Philly. There are areas of Upper Darby where there are multiple Wawas within site of each other. In addition, the library at the Upper Darby high school has a small Wawa kiosk in it. It's not a full-serve Wawa -- doesn't have the hoagie counter -- but you can get coffee and a few snacks like pre-packaged cherry walnut salads and their homemade iced teas.

True Wawa story: A really good friend of mine from college worked at a Wawa in the burbs. He became good friends with a bunch of his co-workers, who were also into punk/hardcore/etc. They formed a fake band called "Wawacore" in which they wrote lyrics just about Wawa. One of the lyrics was "If you want a Shorti/I'll put you in your place. If you want a Classic/I'll slash your fucking face." My friend had to make his own webpage for his freshman year Computer Science class, so he made it about Wawacore. A few years later, he got called into the disciplinary office for "abuse of computer rights." He had no idea what this was about. It turned out Wawa discovered the webpage somehow and threatened to sue our college unless it was taken down immediately. He, naturally, had no idea how to take a webpage down and was threatened with suspension. He eventually pestered an IT guy enough to do it for him but he seriously almost got kicked out of school because of it.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »
F yeah man! I meant to post that here when I read it. Slipped my mind. For those who aren't from the Philly/South Jersey/Delaware region: I really cannot stress enough how prevalent Wawa is to not just the local economy but to the local culture.

My wife's a teacher in Upper Darby -- which is the suburb which borders Philly. There are areas of Upper Darby where there are multiple Wawas within site of each other. In addition, the library at the Upper Darby high school has a small Wawa kiosk in it. It's not a full-serve Wawa -- doesn't have the hoagie counter -- but you can get coffee and a few snacks like pre-packaged cherry walnut salads and their homemade iced teas.

True Wawa story: A really good friend of mine from college worked at a Wawa in the burbs. He became good friends with a bunch of his co-workers, who were also into punk/hardcore/etc. They formed a fake band called "Wawacore" in which they wrote lyrics just about Wawa. One of the lyrics was "If you want a Shorti/I'll put you in your place. If you want a Classic/I'll slash your fucking face." My friend had to make his own webpage for his freshman year Computer Science class, so he made it about Wawacore. A few years later, he got called into the disciplinary office for "abuse of computer rights." He had no idea what this was about. It turned out Wawa discovered the webpage somehow and threatened to sue our college unless it was taken down immediately. He, naturally, had no idea how to take a webpage down and was threatened with suspension. He eventually pestered an IT guy enough to do it for him but he seriously almost got kicked out of school because of it.

Your college needed a stronger legal office/backbone. Surely that falls under fair use/parody.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:54:47 AM »
Mr. VonTito worked in the philly area briefly. It would induce my giddiness to see Wawa purchases on my bank statement.