Author Topic: Lots of Funf-XL shirts in attendance, if you know what I mean.  (Read 6528 times)

Kormod

Re: Lots of Funf-XL shirts in attendance, if you know what I mean.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 11:37:42 PM »
The Insane Clown Job Creators.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
So really, none of you could imagine yourselves at The Gathering? I went to some pretty embarrassing shit in the mid-90s. But it was fun.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 04:50:05 AM »
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 06:58:36 AM »
So really, none of you could imagine yourselves at The Gathering? I went to some pretty embarrassing shit in the mid-90s. But it was fun.
I can imagine going as an anthropological expedition - to check out the crazy scene. But I was even more of a snob as a kid than I am now, so I probably would never have been a full-fledged juggalo.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 07:26:45 AM »
So really, none of you could imagine yourselves at The Gathering?

No way in hell. That music sucks, and I hate beat-downs, which I'm sure I would take when I said "that music sucks".

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
Let me clarify: I would have not gone for ICP's music, nor that of any offshoot band. But they've actually had really good hip-hop acts there the past couple of years, and I could imagine my younger self going for the drinking and drugs and (halfheartedly trying and failing to have) sex. Plus I remember being roped into a lot of terrible, trashy 90s music/camping/partying events by friends and relatives and having a decent enough time. I can't imagine the crowd was all that different at a Dead show in Buffalo or the campground at the Philly Folk Fest, or any number of Lollapaloozas, except maybe a smaller relative proportion of lowlives and pro wrestlers.

But then again, I did adamantly refuse to go to Woodstock '94, so I guess I had some standards.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 02:38:45 PM »
I don't like live music.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 11:45:46 PM »
I think ICP is hilarious but I'm starting to get uncomfortable with all the Juggalo bashing. I think if you look at the targets and the people making the jokes there is a definite class divide. Juggalos tend to be kids from very lower middle to lower class blue collar families. And the people poking fun at them tend to be middle to upper middle class privileged white people who went to college.

I'm not going to say that their stuff isn't ridiculous, because it obviously is. But there is a fine line between pointing out the inherent ridiculousness and just flat out trashing a subculture you don't understand or identify with because you come from a different circumstance.

I'm a working class slob and I feel perfectly comfortable making fun of people who say things like "There's no bigatory in Juggaloism" and who paint their face with actual spray paint. Idiots are idiots regardless of their economic status. Dead Heads and Phish fans mainly come from a higher economic staus than Juggalos and I'll make fun of them as well.  Hippies, Juggalos, they all suck.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 12:49:40 AM »
I liked the Uncle Fester-looking guy who said he liked to stab people but also would like to lose his virginity at the Gathering. Good luck?!

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 06:10:32 AM »
The resounding theme in the interviews is family. Something tells me that many of the people who find themselves drawn to this may have not had the greatest relations with their actual families and are looking for something to fill the void.

Personally, I would be too frightened to go to one of those, as I've always been scared and intimidated by carnys, but I get where they're coming from.

I don't find them as much funny as just plain bizarre.
"Is this me?"

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »
My grandmother told me not to get involved with fair folk.  Not meaning "the fair folk" but meaning carnies.  I think she would extend this to Juggalos.

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
What was the gentleman with the red balloon breathing in?
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 05:50:09 AM »
My grandmother told me not to get involved with fair folk.  Not meaning "the fair folk" but meaning carnies.  I think she would extend this to Juggalos.

As I was writing "carnys," I debated whether the plural of carny is carnies or carnys. I suppose carnies is the right one after all.

But how about Juggaloes?
"Is this me?"

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 06:42:53 AM »
I wish it was just juggalo, like buffalo.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?