Author Topic: Maxwell's to Close  (Read 2410 times)

Matthew_S

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Maxwell's to Close
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Maxwell's to Close
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »
That's a real blow to NJ, and to WFMU as well.  I know I'm not alone here in having spent much of my youth in that back room, drinking Rolling Rock and seeing the best bands on the planet.  The only bad night I ever had there was during the brief "Alternative Pale Ale" era.

I visited Maxwell's one last time in October 2012 while home for a brief visit.  I'm so glad I did.

WFMU is a proudly NJ station, but there are no NJ venues anymore.  I never thought I'd be nostalgic for the shady characters of yore, a la Randy Now, Ron Delsener and Art Stock, but at least they were putting on shows.  Maybe some new, relatively scrupulous enterpreneur needs to start booking the Iron Monkey.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »
This stinks so much!

So many definitive shows of my life were at Maxwell's. I saw El Vez and The Muffs there, two of the best shows I've ever been to. I have no idea how many times I saw some pop-punk show involving Weston and The Queers there, too. Any kid who grew up in North Jersey and had good taste in music stepped foot there.

The last time I went to Maxwell's was a few years back. I went to go see a Weston reunion show. A few minutes before the show was to start, we found out my wife's dad died. Obviously we couldn't see the show. Before we left I tried to sell our tickets (it was a sell out) just to make the money back. One of the guys in the band saw me doing this and thought I was scalping and was giving me crap about it. I've never held them in the same esteem since because the guy was such a douche. (He was more showing off in front of whatever girl he was flirting with than standing up for artistic rights.)

It really stinks that was the last time I'll ever have gone there, especially since it was probably the worst night of my wife's life.

I also met the first girl I was ever in love with outside of Maxwell's at a Queers show.

Maxwell's definitely has a few scenes in it when I play back the movie of my life.

Hoboken has been garbage forever. The only reason I'd ever consider going there was for Maxwell's.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

gravy boat

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
Sad but not surprising and hopefully, maybe ultimately, it comes back somewhere else.

Greggulator is right. Hoboken is the pits. Maxwells is just out of place there.   Tris McCall has some good insight and articles on  Newark Star-Ledger's site--nj.com, and describes Maxwells as being increasingly on an island. I thought that was spot on.  At one point there really was a music scene in the area and people cared more about seeing original music or even any music but those days are gone. 

I have a ton of great memories from this place.  This popular local band that played there a bunch in the 90's--American Standard--was so much fun to see.  Ted Leo. Yo La Tengo. El Diablo--the cook. I didn't have a ticket to some show once and Todd let me in because I knew a bartender there.  I  am far from special--he always let so many people in who didn't have tickets! Memories to cherish. I think I'll make one last Feelies show in July for old lang syne.

I have to think WFMU will be OK and mostly unaffected.   Like Mike A says, maybe this will lead to something taking root in Jersey City.

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »
http://www.vulture.com/2013/06/rosen-on-the-end-of-maxwells.html

"Yes, the bathrooms at Maxwell’s can get gross, like the ones at CBs."  Anyone who would say this has never been to Maxwell's.  Or hasn't heard Tom talk, at great length, about the paper towel dispenser.

methanolcereal

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »
Hey! I might have an extra ticket or two for the Screaming Females on 7/21.

I bought tickets for myself and friends and it turns out they bought tickets themsleves. It's an early show, 2 or 3pm (Teddy Rockstar is playing with Shellshag for the late show).

PM me if you are interested!

gravy boat

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
Cool little documentary from Star-Ledger on Maxwells closing.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/07/farewell_maxwells_a_video_look_at_the_closing_hoboken_music_venue.html#incart_river

Listened to Terre T's live-cast from Saturday from Maxwells (Even Funk Davies played drums with the band that was played!) and Todd gave a nice shout-out to Tom at the end.