Author Topic: Sound collage samples  (Read 128795 times)

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Audio Collage Pieces
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »
I enjoyed Fred Stoller, in his initial rash of podcast appearances, calling out Hardwick, Matt Mira and JOnah Ray as snarky dudes and bros, not real nerds like Eddie Deezen.

"Victory!" sounds like Drama from Entourage but I haven't watched that show since the Sopranos stopped leading into it. 

I'm want to find the tour of the Hate Pit from a few years ago. I think it's an antecedent to the Collage of 2013.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2013, 10:07:33 AM »
The Hate Pit tour is from the show with the memorable broadcast date of 1/11/11.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »
I think Chris Hardwick is a nice guy but that podcast is unlistenable and their interviews never really offer a lot of depth. You kind of leave with nothing in those interviews or they're the same thing you would find on Jimmy Fallon or Jay Leno. Just these fluff interviews where all we really find out or learn is that the guest is "The nicest guy." And it kind of bugs me that his version of nerd is just blind enthusiasm for everything.

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
If you go way back Hardwick was actually reasonably funny, but yeah, he's basically Ryan Seacrest now.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »
The only way I know Chris Hardwick is from "Rodeohead," which I enjoyed.

Has he done other stuff? I hadn't heard.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2013, 10:16:13 PM »
I'm waiting for Billy Crystal's "Jazz Man" character to show up in these, including the self-important "This next piece..." preamble.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2013, 03:44:08 AM »
Oh yeah, somewhere in there was a proggy-sounding synth keyboard loop. Sounded a little like Phillip Glass or something. Anybody know what that was?

Wakeman's noodling from Roundabout?

THAT"S THE ONE! The wakeman part from Roundabout was mixed in with the haunting Karen Carpenter interlude.

.. and it keeps going, mixed down low beneath Hardwick, Tree of Mike, Franco in "Spring Breakers" ...  very effective.

The Wakeman bit starts a little bit before the 5 minute mark on this video: Yes - Roundabout
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »
Yeah, I used to like Hardwick, but that loop of him kind of made me hate him and the whole idea of "nerds"

Yeah, I still enjoy Hardwick greatly, but I've always disliked his grandstanding of "nerd" culture. "Nerds" are no more special than any other labelled group of people, yet he fetishizes them greatly. Why label your personality so that you squeeze yourself into a tiny box and scowl disdainfully at those who are even the slightest bit outside of it?

Nerd culture kind of got diluted past the point of no return once you had 'sports nerds'. Also there was a kind of 'Geek' vs. 'Nerd' thing going on where I leaned toward 'Geek', so I never really Nerd identified. I generally find the fetishization of nerds/geeks embarrassing more often than not these days, and don't particularly feel a kinship with the herd with things diluted and fragmented (for example, I just never really got into gaming). N.E.R.D. had a couple good songs, though, I thought.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »
The WNBC call--is that Tom doing a voice calling into mid-1980s, pre K-Rock Howard Stern?

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
hey, buddy. where ya been?
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »
I just realized what I've been missing in this thing: Bruno S. saying "VELLkomm tu deh MAEK schau!"
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »
N.E.R.D. had a couple good songs, though, I thought.

I really enjoyed "Lap Dance."

"I got somethin' chrome / And I got it from home / And it ain't a microphone [Yo, it ain't a mic]"

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »
All the previous things said I also like Chris Hardwick overall. He gets a lifetime pass for 'The Pi Song', more or less one of the nerdiest things ever truth be told.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »
hey, buddy. where ya been?

If you are addressing me, I've been wasting my time is a less productive manner than the FOT board.

I'd like to say, "I'm spending less time on message boards because I had a baby and bought a house," but this would be false, since I waste just as much time on the Internet as ever.

ˋˏsˎˊˋˏpˎˊˋˏrˎˊˋˏiˎˊˋˏnˎˊˋˏgˎˊ ˋˏbˎˊˋˏrˎˊˋˏeˎˊˋˏaˎˊˋˏkˎˊ

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
nice! hope you and the family are doing well.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."